Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Nonsense brake discussion (Read 150 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Nonsense brake discussion
04/27/17 at 06:10:22

Did the motorcycle evolve wrong?

I got to pondering my old motocross and hare scrambles days.  My motorcycle was a TM125 Suzuki, and it had small drum brakes and they were pretty poor by current standards.  The front brake was really marginal, and I can remember in dry conditions my ability to go fast was limited by how hard I could squeeze the front brake....and in wet conditions it was always a challenge to keep the rear wheel from locking up on those slippery downhill portions leading to the creek bottoms.  I believe the same was true of street bikes - the front drum of performance bikes had double leading shoes (4 brakes shoes in each drum), and some even had drums on both sides of the front wheel in an attempt to get braking that could match engine perforance.

So.....knowing that you can stomp on a brake pedal with much more force than you can squeeze a short handlebar mounted lever - should the front brake have been operated by the pedal...and the rear brake operated by a hand lever?  Would that have provided the ability to get more power to the front brake....and more precise control to the rear brake?

It really doesn't matter with the current hydraulic disc brakes - there is plenty of power and control available.  It may have made a difference with the old drum brake technology.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Nonsense brake discussion
Reply #1 - 04/27/17 at 06:18:05

I'm gonna argue that the lever is a perfect way to engage the front brake, especially a drum brake. My reasoning is this, as important as stopping power, is the smooth application of the brakes. This is especially true for brakes that are grabby. Stomping on a grabby front brake is a quick trip to visit the ground.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/27/17 at 06:25:31

I will admit...that on my trials motorcycle I had more trouble modulating the foot pedal than I did the hand lever.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 04/27/17 at 07:52:39

Yeah, and think about the aspect of gravity in this situation.  If you pull too hard on the front brake lever and it throws you forward, yes you tend to "hold on" to the bars but not necessarily with an increase in pressure on the brake lever.

If you stomp on the brake pedal (if it controlled the front brake) and it throws you forward, you may have a tendency to put more foot pressure on the brake pedal making the problem worse, etc. and then you fall down go boom.

Who wants to be the first one to switch up their brake controls and go for a Dragon run and let us know how it works  Shocked Shocked Shocked

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 04/27/17 at 08:05:46

stewmills wrote on 04/27/17 at 07:52:39:
Yeah, and think about the aspect of gravity in this situation.  If you pull too hard on the front brake lever and it throws you forward, yes you tend to "hold on" to the bars but not necessarily with an increase in pressure on the brake lever.

If you stomp on the brake pedal (if it controlled the front brake) and it throws you forward, you may have a tendency to put more foot pressure on the brake pedal making the problem worse, etc. and then you fall down go boom.

Who wants to be the first one to switch up their brake controls and go for a Dragon run and let us know how it works  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Well ok then, stewmills has volunteered for that assignment !
YEA ! ! !  Hip Hip Hooray ! ! !
  Wink   Shocked  Cool  Grin  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/27/17 at 08:24:31

Interesting ideas.
Riding the trials bike, probably not a smooth road.
Leverage , master cylinder design, caliper design, all affect the brake sensitivity.
Braking just might be improved this way, but I would expect that new riders who never knew the Reflexive use of brakes as we know them would be the ones who could evaluate it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/27/17 at 08:49:07

stewmills wrote on 04/27/17 at 07:52:39:

I couldn't even handle the switch from left to right on BSA.
But, anyone expecting to go from conventional controls to front to back configuration in a heart beat should also expect earth to meet Heine toot sweet.

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 04/27/17 at 09:23:16

Dave wrote on 04/27/17 at 06:25:31:
I will admit...that on my trials motorcycle I had more trouble modulating the foot pedal than I did the hand lever.

There are some roadracers that have a thumb lever on the left handelbar to operate the rear brake for exactly that reason. They don't use the rear brake a lot, but when they do sensitivity is important. Most people have a lot better dexterity with their hands than with their feet.

I think some stunt bikes are set up with hand operated rear brakes also.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 04/27/17 at 10:40:00

Seems like one more appendage would be handy... (pun intended)...  Undecided

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 04/27/17 at 12:31:13

I will say I think brakes are set up in a manner to give the most optimal braking need under an extreme need, like you have to stop as fast as you can.....
And that being the case I want my foot in a spot that can provide balance, and my hand(s)with the ability to still navigate (turn) in that critical moment.
All the rest is more about riding style, I believe....

« Last Edit: 04/27/17 at 16:08:22 by raydawg »  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 04/27/17 at 12:36:29

I love R & D stuff , but I'm gonna pass on this one !  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 04/27/17 at 12:36:40

Serowbot wrote on 04/27/17 at 10:40:00:
Seems like one more appendage would be handy... (pun intended)...  Undecided

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/27/17 at 19:08:16

I vaguely remember riding a small displacement bike or scooter once that had hand levers for the front and back brakes.  Whatever it was existed in the 50s or early 60s and had a centrifugal clutch which left room for the second brake lever.  The set up worked OK for what it was.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 04/27/17 at 20:10:48

The Honda CT90 s had a rear brake that worked with the pedal or right side lever. It was a ok set up but it really came in handy when off road and in the low range , if the bike could get traction it would take you anywhere and when in tight slow areas standing on the pegs it worked really good. What great bike , power of a lawn mower , but could go anywhere but on the freeway. Did a one day 250 mile trip on mine ,all back roads.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 04/27/17 at 22:30:38

My friend Charles has an old G-Wing.   It has front brake "can be applied by its self" , and rear brake pedal that is like a car break pedal.   The rear pedal applies both brakes.    I like to use the rear by itself for manovering purpouses  , but Charles dosn't have that option ...  Tongue

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:25:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Nonsense brake discussion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.