Send Topic Print
Biker meets his end (Read 188 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Biker meets his end
04/26/17 at 12:33:45

Here is a video from a police dashcam.  The officer bumps the rear of a motorcycle twice.  The second time the biker loses control and dies in the crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zC4ZLlN_rw

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Biker meets his end
Reply #1 - 04/26/17 at 13:05:39

Well obviously the biker and the officer were both wrong in what they did.

The first bump occurred at 88 mph...the second one at 64mph...it has a very bad outcome.  I guess that is a good example of why most officers don't intentionally bump into motorcycles or put out stop sticks.

If he was being chased for murder or armed robbery or rape or a very serious crime maybe he needed to be stopped - it would be a shame if the chase was for something minor.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/26/17 at 18:10:28

The Daily Mail carried the story today and they report that the Deputy was watching for speeders when the man went by at a high rate of speed.  So basically it was a speeding violation and subsequent failure to pull over that led to this man's death.  Apparently the Sheriff's Dept. is blaming the biker, saying that he slowed down forcing the deputy to rear end him.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 04/26/17 at 18:17:40

Break out the checkbook......

Without being privy to all the facts, I can only surmise, but I would say the cop should have known the plate was captured by his video.
That could then be used for a citation. They use cameras all the time now and don't have to prove who was at the wheel.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/26/17 at 20:39:29

Apparently the Sheriff's Dept. is blaming the biker, saying that he slowed down forcing the deputy to rear end him.

Try that defense when you hit someone in the rear.

What slows quicker?
Fat boy on a HD or a cop car?
If I could stomach watching it again id go see if the brake light lights.
I'd watch the speed,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 04/27/17 at 04:17:48

I cannot see the video from the offic because of security filters that block streaming video such as Youtube.

Thus I can only work out of assumptions.

IF the motorcycle rider's family ask for an official investigation and the tape is analysed,
only THEN will the investigation determine if the bike jammed the brakes or if the car rammed the bike.

In the first case, case closed.
In the second case, it's anything from "Murder 1" to "Manslaughter".

Regardless, either that cop has slow reflexes or he's got a very fiery temper.
Neither is a good thing for a Police Officer.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/27/17 at 05:28:55

The video is not High Definition, and the back of the motorcycle is washed out from the brightness of the chase car headlights.....I can't make out the tail lights or brake lights....just a white glare.  It is also nearly impossible to make out what the rider is going with his hands as he is losing control and the bike is moving around violently as the rider tries to keep the bike upright.

To my untrained eye - and without the benefit of being able to feel the braking forces involved - it does appear the officer intentionally got too close and bumped the motorcycle the first time - however the speed on the first bump was 88mph, and the second bump occurred about 3 second later at 64mph...and the short time interval would suggest that the car was braking pretty hard between the 1st and 2nd bump.

Although the bump(s) did cause the rider to have difficulty controlling the bike and certainly had an affect on the ability of the rider to control the motorcycle - the crash came about as the rider was going over to the right side of the roadway and tried to pass a car on the right side at the same time the driver was pulling over to the curb to get out of the way of the Police Car and the flashing lights he saw coming up behind him.  I am sure the driver could not see what was going on in his rear view mirror - he was just pulling over to get out of the way.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dagillespi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NW Pennsylvania
Reply #7 - 04/28/17 at 15:35:45

If he was in pursuit after the guy committed a forcible felony or the bike was stolen I could understand, but for speeding that's unacceptable. Get the number from the video and take care of it that way.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/28/17 at 16:08:40

No. He's a Suspect. Never okay to cause a crash. Plenty of o ther cops.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #9 - 04/28/17 at 23:40:35

Viewing this from outside the USA perspective to me it's just another one of the many random incidents of police killing citizens without cause, this is just slightly more unusual than how it normally happens.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #10 - 04/29/17 at 05:59:46

There's been a few police related accidents in Philly recently that make me wonder. In the last one the patrol car hit a pedestrian who subsequently died. Over the winter there was a high speed chase where the police crashed into an uninvolved motorist killing him. Another similar incident in Camden, NJ recently too. I'm thinking the people in charge with handing out moving violations need to learn how to drive themselves.
I've personally observed some pretty negligent driving on the part of cops around my area, running lights, turning without signals, cutting people off, tailgating and wandering distractedly in and out of their lane. I'd suggest whatever driving training they are giving isn't good enough or skills assessments after the fact are not happening.
It's a shame when cops can't drive.

As for the USA and it's random incidents of killing citizens I'm sure the longer Trump is in office the worse this situation is going to get. IMO the cops have been emboldened by his presence to be more aggressive and violent. Naturally this will lead to even higher incidents of civilians killing cops. Makes for interesting times ahead.
I'm waiting for the inevitable call to martial law. The stage is being set...

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 04/29/17 at 08:15:20

martial law. The stage is being set.

Been slipping that general direction for decades. I'm not seeing any attitude change in cops since Trump.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 04/29/17 at 10:44:10

Two idiots here the cop and the biker. If the biker would have pulled over he would still be alive,he started the chain of bad decisions that caused his own death. He would have crashed without the cops help sooner or later and maybe killed someone else in the process. Still no excuses for this cops bad decision causing a death , he will go unpunished ,you watch ! But I see a huge civil suit happening !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 04/29/17 at 12:48:57

Pretty casually you point out that the biker would have ended up dead anyway.
That makes the Cop, one who supposedly protects people, somehow not The Reason for the dead rider?
We know Nothing about what happened before the cop hit him.  If he rolled through a stop sign, doesn't have insurance and wanted away, big deal,
If he Was Gonna wind up Dead anyway, I wonder how long he's been riding and Why wasn't he already dead? Some messed up rationalizing there.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 04/29/17 at 21:09:47

Rev. JOG maybe you should read all that again slowly. I don't take sides here. The biker made the first bad decision, In turn took the gamble and lost big time , he could have been hit by cross traffic as well but he still made the decision not to stop. The cop also make a bad decision to bump him and then again , taking a life. He deserves to go to jail but we all know a judge will rule it was justified , in turn he will go unpunished. That's real world crap and you know it. Isn't much difference if he used his bumper or his pistol is it !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 01:28:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › Biker meets his end

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.