I know better........ (Read 95 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
I know better........
04/26/17 at 05:13:42

I strongly believe riding a motorcycle takes more prep and organizing, than a car, simply because the risk is greater, if you forget something, and it leads you to doing things, you know better than to risk.....
I sit now on the ferry, barely, having let time slip away this morning, and realized I was running late.
I had to drive my bike way faster than I normally allow myself.
I was driving too fast, taking blind corners, than what the headlight would allow me to discern.
If a deer had bolted, I was toast....

I know being late is way better than being early to my funeral  Embarrassed

Not trying to big a buzz kill guys, just passing on a reminder to what we already know, for I don't want Dave's new memorial board to get too full  Shocked

Peace  Smiley

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: I know better........
Reply #1 - 04/26/17 at 06:59:50

For sure dude, a few minutes late (or more) is worth more than broken, bruised and battered body parts ... or worse.
No need to get in a hurry.
A friend recently jumped up on a roof (not a bike story but still valid) to help another worker finish a bit faster and promptly fell off breaking multiple bones in his leg, shattering his ankle, and crushing his foot.  First surgery:  rods to stabilize leg bones to allow swelling to go down so he could have a 2nd surgery.  He had the 2nd surgery day before yesterday; plates and screws in his leg, bone taken from his upper leg to supplement shattered ankle bone and fusing bones with some screws, and more fusing of what was left of the very small bones in his foot.
He is having terrible pain and there has been a lot of difficulty with the pain med's; vomiting a lot with oral meds and with many going directly into his veins.  
Please pray for Raymond.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/26/17 at 07:03:01

Glad you made it in one piece....safe and sound.

When I watch the Asian Scooter crashes and other motorcycle fails videos on YouTube - it is most often the folks riding too fast for conditions (traffic and riding ability) that get into trouble.  The scooters riding the same speed as the cars and not lane splitting or not running traffic lights are generally OK - but the guys pushing the limits seem to run out of luck eventually.  (It also appears the front brakes on scooters lock up really easily......or the riders have no idea how to apply the brakes smoothly in a panic stop).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 04/26/17 at 08:21:36

Thanks guys.....
At work, prior to going out to the plane, we have a group/crew meeting.
I shared my dumbness with the crew.
How it's important to manage your time.
Do not rush and drill structure, etc, faster, because time is running out.....
Sometimes what seems a simple adjustment to your normal behavior can have disastrous results....
One young guy asked me then why I did it?
I told him so an old fart can admit his mistake and share it so you young punks can grow up wiser than me  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 04/26/17 at 09:13:21

You are so right Ray. Thanks for reminding us all.

Lancer, I will say a prayer for your friend. I wish him the best.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 04/26/17 at 10:15:09

Yes it's easy to get in a hurry , found myself lane splitting the other day for no good reason. Caught myself being dumb , guess you should always being checking yourself !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 04/26/17 at 11:16:26

If you are familiar with flying (who isn't) you know that routines and checklists are there for the obvious safety factor.

While a student, I once got in a hurry to takeoff from a small airport with a tree line at the end, and I was hurrying because other guys were waiting on my departure to land. In my rush to climb out and get out of their way I mistakenly raised my flaps way too early and started sinking down towards the tree tops at the end of the runway. Thankfully I recovered my flaps quickly and saved my a$$ by a razor thin margin.  Had I followed procedures I never would have pulled my flaps until I was much further up and out from the airport.

Never again will I put myself and my safety second when I know I have the right of way and am not jeopardizing the life of another.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 04/26/17 at 13:37:55

Good story Stew, and I can relate.
My sister who has all her liscence and only needs hours in any given aircraft to fly commercially......
Anyway, we were out on the tarmac, no one around, etc...
And we are going to take a twin turbo out to hop upstate.
She knows this plane like her hand, yet pulls out her checklist, then prior to hitting the juice to light, she cracks her window and yells, CLEAR PROP....
Wth 😱
No one around, nobody.....
Couldn't you just glance?
Nope!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/26/17 at 13:57:21

Y'all are bringing back old memories.

I learned to fly and got my license in 1974.  I solo'd and spent most of my time flying a 1947 8A Luscombe. It didn't have a battery or any electric system or radios.

"Clear Prop" was not used in the staring process.  Instead it had to be started by somebody pulling on the prop, and the calls were:  "Off and Closed" while they engine was primed and pulled over a few times.....then "Contact and Brakes" when the prop was pulled to start the engine.  If nobody else was around I would just tie the tail to the ground and start it myself?

But I drifted off the thread topic.  I watch these videos often - so that I can see what not to do in traffic.  The majority of crashes occur to the folks who are in a hurry and going faster than conditions allow - or lane splitting at speed.  A lot of the riders come out of blind spots or are obscured by other cars or bikes....and the person who hits them just couldn't see them coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4j0Ipoxp_E&t=80s

« Last Edit: 04/26/17 at 19:13:19 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #9 - 04/26/17 at 15:07:12

I've got into the habit of accepting when I'm gonna be late, if I've overslept or something like that. I just make the (often difficult) phone call ahead. Let them no I'm gonna be late. Then it's a normal ride from there.

It took me years to get that right though!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 04/26/17 at 15:30:30

Isn't amazing how if you're late a few minutes it's magnified at your destination.
Whereas leave early and you're only more early.
And the effect repeats every half hour.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 04/27/17 at 07:59:14

stewmills wrote on 04/26/17 at 11:16:26:
If you are familiar with flying (who isn't) you know that routines and checklists are there for the obvious safety factor.

While a student, I once got in a hurry to takeoff from a small airport with a tree line at the end, and I was hurrying because other guys were waiting on my departure to land. In my rush to climb out and get out of their way I mistakenly raised my flaps way too early and started sinking down towards the tree tops at the end of the runway. Thankfully I recovered my flaps quickly and saved my a$$ by a razor thin margin.  Had I followed procedures I never would have pulled my flaps until I was much further up and out from the airport.

Never again will I put myself and my safety second when I know I have the right of way and am not jeopardizing the life of another.

Yes yes yes.  You can do something a thousand times but the ONE time you alter your sequence IS the ONE TIME that something happens.  You can just bet on it !
Checklists are there for a reason.  Anyone can forget something; there is not a perfect human being on this planet at this time.  
There was just ONE.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 04/27/17 at 12:33:27

LANCER wrote on 04/27/17 at 07:59:14:
stewmills wrote on 04/26/17 at 11:16:26:

Yes yes yes.  You can do something a thousand times but the ONE time you alter your sequence IS the ONE TIME that something happens.  You can just bet on it !
Checklists are there for a reason.  Anyone can forget something; there is not a perfect human being on this planet at this time.  
There was just ONE.

You are exactly right, and this is the link, in the chain of events, they look for in reconstructing an accident.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:16:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › I know better........

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.