Send Topic Print
Exhaust Bypass Valve (Read 291 times)
Chaz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exhaust Bypass Valve
04/25/17 at 23:40:26

I use the Harley Dyna muffler right now and I love it, I have no complaints. I would just really like the Savage to be a tad bit louder when I'm on busy roads, but I'd like it to be tolerable when I'm in the neighborhood. I've looked into a little bit and I think I might be able to use an electronic exhaust bypass valve. Something like

So it can switch from a muffled exhaust to a straight pipe with a switch or something. Has anyone every tried something like this? Would there be any long term affects on the engine?

I'm a young biker trying to learn with little to no automotive experience.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Exhaust Bypass Valve
Reply #1 - 04/26/17 at 03:29:27

An engine with fuel injection might be able to adapt to the fuel mixture changes needed when switching from a muffler to an open pipe - the carb on the Savage can't.  If you jet the carb to run with the muffler....it won't be jetted to run with an open pipe (the Savage engine doesn't run well with an open pipe anyhow).

I am not a fan of open pipes on anything....even your lawn mower.  It really promotes folks developing the wrong attitude toward us bikers.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #2 - 04/26/17 at 08:06:10

I'm with you Dave.

Some of the bikes I hear are appallingly load. It sure doesn't help our public image. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 04/26/17 at 12:09:44

In my crystal ball I see burnt exhaust valves in your near future!!!   Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Chaz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/26/17 at 16:05:25

Dave wrote on 04/26/17 at 03:29:27:
An engine with fuel injection might be able to adapt to the fuel mixture changes needed when switching from a muffler to an open pipe - the carb on the Savage can't.  If you jet the carb to run with the muffler....it won't be jetted to run with an open pipe (the Savage engine doesn't run well with an open pipe anyhow).

I am not a fan of open pipes on anything....even your lawn mower.  It really promotes folks developing the wrong attitude toward us bikers.

You're right, I didn't realize how loud open pipes were on the Savage.  Instead of an open pipe and the harley muffler, what if I get two custom muffled pipes, one a tad bit louder than the other, and the other relatively quiet? Would the Savage be able to adapt to that?

I'm a young biker trying to learn with little to no automotive experience.
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #5 - 04/26/17 at 16:07:00

In the open position you might as well get off and push.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 04/26/17 at 18:27:32

Maybe , Maybe 2 nicely baffled mufflers , but with one you would be rich and with two you would be lean,not good. If it had EFI it would be fun to play with. Otherwise just stick to a muffler your happy with !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 04/26/17 at 18:34:08

Just curious , Where did you find that and how much does it cost ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 04/26/17 at 18:47:49

K.I.S.S.-system,pick a muffler between loud and quite and tune the carb to it.I don't know where you would find room on this bike to hang two different mufflers,much less how ugly it would look.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/26/17 at 20:28:42

Ruttly wrote on 04/26/17 at 18:34:08:
Just curious , Where did you find that and how much does it cost ?

I've considered one of these cut-outs.  However, John Law would probably fine you if he caught you with one.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 04/26/17 at 20:46:35

The idea of one of these isn't the problem,nor is it the cops. go take the muffler of your bike and take it for a ride with just the header pipe and you'll soon get the proof that it's not going to work, the bike will run like sh*t.(wear hearing protection!)

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 04/27/17 at 03:58:22

If you have some fabricating skills, it would not be all that hard to alter a muffler with a removable core to have a "dual" type of baffling.

There could be a butterfly plate in the pipe going through the muffler, and in the closed mode the exhaust would pass through the perforated center pipe - in the open mode the exhaust would pass straight through.  The butterfly could be manually operated with a cable and spring......it would be a bit more complicated and expensive to make it electrically operated.  Quite a few modern bikes have a butterfly in the exhaust to provide the needed restriction at low engine rpm, and you could source one of those header pipes to get the valve and spring.  In the "open" position it would still be possible to have some baffling in the center pipe so that the system would not be a straight pipe and provide the needed obstruction to the pressure waves (reversion) that makes the engine run so poorly.

Is it worth the effort to build one......I don't think so.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #12 - 04/27/17 at 07:21:01

I think it would be a good cut out switch. Grin

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 04/27/17 at 09:27:15

Dave,reversion waves don't make the motor run poorly.They make it run better. The waves reverse when they reach the end of the header pipe and return as a negative pressure ,if they reach the exhaust valve before it closes (during valve overlap ) it pulls the remaining exhaust gases out while helping to pull a fresh fuel in,  this is why the header length is important. If you run a muffler with no baffle or a straight pipe the reversion doesn't occur until the wave hits the end of the entire system,and arrives back at the exhaust valve to find it closed.the wave leaves the motor at the speed of sound (mach 1) but the exhaust gases travel at a much slower rate, as they give up heat to the header pipe /muffler they slow and also slow the reversion wave on it's return to the exhaust valve,which is why a gutted muffler or straight pipe hurts performance.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 04/27/17 at 09:49:15

Reversion is not always your friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:30:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust Bypass Valve

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.