Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Member - Breaking the Engine in (Read 73 times)
itsflossing
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Member - Breaking the Engine in
04/24/17 at 21:02:00

Hi all,

I have an s40 2017 with 40 miles so far on the bike. I am still a fairly new rider. I know I have to break the engine in still.  I was wondering if it would be okay to ride on the freeway for example 40 mins going 65-70 mph. The manual says top gear at 60 mph the first 500 miles...

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: New Member - Breaking the Engine in
Reply #1 - 04/24/17 at 21:30:36

Flossing,

I wouldn't take it on the freeway. First of all besides keeping the speed at 60 MPH or under, you must vary your speed. You don't want to run the engine very long at any one speed.

And for goodness sake do not let the engine run while it is on the side stand for more than a minute.

Kenny Undecided

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 04/24/17 at 21:42:33

Stick with what the manual says and you should be ok. Try and find some twisty hilly roads where you can exercise both engine and gearbox without straining the engine. Don't go on group rides and remember it's a cruiser, not a crotch rocket. The rear brake has a tendency to lock up if harshly applied, so be gentle with your brakes.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/25/17 at 04:19:08

It is important to vary the speeds and throttle loads on the engine during the break in period.  This helps to get the rings seated into the cylinder, and will prevent premature oil burning issues in the future.  No engine manufacturer allows a steady engine speed during the break in period....especially interstate speeds.

Take some nice evening/weekend rides on back roads - and it won't take all that long to get to 500 miles (we can do that it 2 days on the groups rides to TN/NC).  The bike is a lot more fun on the back roads anyhow!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 04/25/17 at 11:06:06

Myself I would not take it on the freeway. Kiss of death!

What the other guys have already said is the way to go. These first few miles will determine what kind of piston/cylinder you will have on your bike. Enjoy your new machine, you are going to love it. The S40 has a great personality. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:23:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Member - Breaking the Engine in

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.