Send Topic Print
New bike, new member. (Read 239 times)
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
New bike, new member.
04/24/17 at 18:10:52

Hi all, so I bought my first bike (I have ridden before but on borrowed bikes). Obviously it is a s40 it's a 2012 when I bought it it had 41 miles. Now to get flamed I picked it up for $950. So I will be riding this to work which is 50 miles each way. I've put 200 miles on it this weekend and I can tell you the seat is pretty unbearable so I bought a Corbin seat should expect to see it in 2 weeks. Some questions now, can I just punch out the stock exhaust or is a different exhaust the only option? Headlight will be very important since I work until 10pm so cost isn't to much of an issue what's the best upgrade? After some research I'd like to up the gearing is there anywhere I can buy a Kawasaki 25 tooth front pulley pre modified? Thanks for any input and advice in advance. Smiley

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: New bike, new member.
Reply #1 - 04/24/17 at 18:35:51

Dave has been known to be able to supply said item on occasion. He should see your post in the morning.

IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #2 - 04/24/17 at 18:45:10

I was just skimming the marketplace and found Dave's post I'll have to wait until next paycheck since I'm holding money to upgrade the light not sure how much it will be. Thank you for your quick response though.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/25/17 at 05:02:42

I just read your post.

I have a 25T pulley - it needs to be machined and I can do that on the next rainy day.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1490012095

The front pulley makes a big difference - if you find out you need even lower rpm....I just about have a rear pulley kit machined as well (it does require a front pulley to be used with it).
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1384949185

Here is Stewmills installation instructions:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1484806731

The new adapters for the 7" headlight should be available in a week or two.  You can be one of the first to try out the adapter and bucket....the price is yet to be determined - but it will be pretty darn reasonable and cheaper than anything else you can get unless you find a used Harley 7" headlight - then you can just buy the adapter.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1491704407

You can pick and choose what kind of reflector you want - so far those of use with 7" headlights have only used the conventional reflector with a standard or LED bulb - Badwolf has suggested that the affordable Daymaker LED headlight units might be even better if you can accept the "modern" look.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Motorcycle-Black-Projector-Daymaker-Headlight-Hi-Lo...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-LED-Headlight-For-Harley-Davidson-MOTORCYCLE-CHROME...

Some folks have drilled holes in the end cap of the stock muffler....near the welds on the black back section.  Replacing the stock muffler with a RYCA angle adapter and a used DYNA muffler is the fastest/easiest/cheapest way to get a good muffler with the least amount of pain.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 04/25/17 at 06:38:35

Don't hesitate to do the front pulley mod. You'll love it and it's ideal for someone like you needing to stretch out the top end for those longer commutes. Well worth the $$ and Dave does excellent work.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #5 - 04/25/17 at 08:08:48

Sounds good let me know when you have the front pulley machined. For light if it's going to be a 7 once housing I'll probably get this www.auxbeam.com/more-lights/led-motorcycle-headlight/92623691 since I have their headlights in all my vehicles and a few lightbars from them and they are very good and very reasonably priced. I live in PA and a lot of my commute is back country roads so I don't think I'll do front and rear. There is an old guy that bends pipe and has been making custom exhausts for bikes for like 50 years if he is still alive I may go see him. He did a full exhaust for my truck for 75 bucks he is crazy cheap. I just pulled the brass plug last night and gave it a half turn ccw since it backfires like crazy and everyone I turn it off.

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/25/17 at 09:06:02

Look up Progressive Suspension rear shocks for Suzuki Intruder (I don't think they list them for S40 or Savage). The stock shocks don't move unless There is 240 lbs on the seat, they are on the lightest setting, and the weight jumps up and down. I was ready to ditch my 2012 before 100 miles for the same reason (I'm a skinny little fart at 170 lbs). My back and neck couldn't take it. Plenty in the Tech Section regarding this. If you get the 11.5 length, they bolt right on with no further mods.

IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #7 - 04/25/17 at 12:21:21

I'm 5'9" and 255 so I get the suspension to move but would those shocks still be better since its a pretty rough ride on some of these bumpy roads.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 04/28/17 at 16:09:09

The progressive shocks come with different spring rates so can be tailored to your weight , the ratings have two numbers the first is how much weight it takes to compress the shock the first inch and the second is how much it takes to compress each inch for the the rest of the travel ,this is for EACH shock. go to their sight, when you order the shocks be sure to get a bushing kit,it comes with 3or4 sets of 4 bushing to allow any of their shocks to fit any bike ,and only costs about $8.00 (if memory serves) they make mounting quick and easy.our stock shock is 10 1/2 inches with 3 inches of travel ,most of us have gone to shock at least 1 inch longer for 4 inches of travel.sometimes you can find a bit better price at places like bike bandit etc.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #9 - 04/28/17 at 16:14:28

batman wrote on 04/28/17 at 16:09:09:
The progressive shocks come with different spring rates so can be tailored to your weight , the ratings have two numbers the first is how much weight it takes to compress the shock the first inch and the second is how much it takes to compress the rest of the travel ,this is for EACH shock. go to their sight, when you order the shocks be sure to get a bushing kit,it comes with 3or4 sets of 4 bushing to allow any of their shocks to fit any bike ,and only cost about $8.00 (if memory serves) they make mounting quick and easy.

Sounds good I'll look into those. What length of shocks would be best? I'm also looking to get better passing speed 55-75mph what performance mods should be done first to achieve that?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 04/28/17 at 16:32:24

The easiest and cheapest is to get a HD dyan muffler(it gives added performance due to less back pressure and the fact that it is about 10 lbs lighter than stock sheading ten lbs on this bike is like adding 1 hp)the second step is to tune your carb ,adjust your fuel screw,do the white spacer mod to slightly lift the jet needle, and then go to a larger main jet . the third thing is to go to a less restrictive air filter . these three will make a remarkable difference in the bikes performance!       all can be found in the technical section ,read up!

IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #11 - 04/28/17 at 16:41:28

batman wrote on 04/28/17 at 16:32:24:
The easiest and cheapest is to get a HD dyan muffler(it gives added performance due to less back pressure and the fact that it is about 10 lbs lighter than stock sheading ten lbs on this bike is like adding 1 hp)the second step is to tune your carb ,adjust your fuel screw,do the white spacer mod to slightly lift the jet needle, and then go to a larger main jet . the third thing is to go to a less restrictive air filter . these three will make a remarkable difference in the bikes performance!       all can be found in the technical section ,read up!

Yeah I've already pulled the brass plug and tuned that, I drilled 4 3/8 inch holes in the back plate of the exhaust for less back pressure, I have a k&n air filter on the way. Next pay check I think imma grab a jet kit from lancer. I've read up on how to do the white spacer mod and all that.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 04/28/17 at 17:19:36

It is supposed to rain all weekend - I likely will be able to find the time to machine and powder coat your pulley.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #13 - 04/28/17 at 17:30:42

Dave wrote on 04/28/17 at 17:19:36:
It is supposed to rain all weekend - I likely will be able to find the time to machine and powder coat your pulley.

Ok sounds good it's 150 right?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 04/28/17 at 18:26:31

Jarhead,its been talked about before but I should say that the screw heads are J.I.S. (Japanese industrial standard) they appear to be phillipshead but the slots centers are much shallower ,you can grind /file a phillps to a blunter point to fit farther down into the screw heads or purchase the jis drivers,it is important to be careful with the small brass screws inside the slide holding the plate. The stock jet is a145 ,150 is a good place to start, unless your elevation is above 1500ft (try a 147.5) or near sea level(try a 152.5) these are suggested as starting points as I don't know how the holes you drilled in the muffler will affect tuning.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 23:30:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New bike, new member.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.