Send Topic Print
back fires and stops (Read 401 times)
blacksavage40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

back fires and stops
04/24/17 at 16:57:59

I looked through posts to find out if there was any other person who had this problem with their bike and couldn't find one so here goes.
First of all there is no pattern to the way the bike behaves.   I have ridden over 100 miles before it back fired and then chugged to a stop and I have ridden about 40 before it did the same thing.  After I sit for a while, maybe 15 minutes it starts up and runs fine till it does it again.  The last time it happened I went about 40 miles before it stopped, got it started and went about 10 and it started and then about 1 city block.  At that point I had it towed home.  

I is a 2009 S40, has about 23,000 miles on it, a 2 year old battery and it had a fresh tank of gas last time I rode it before I had it towed home.  I am in the habit of putting gas additive in the tank when I fill it.

I have since taken it to a mechanic who has had it for over 3 weeks and he seems to have no clue but thinks it might be electrical.  I changed the oil about 1000 miles ago.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Smiley

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: back fires and stops
Reply #1 - 04/24/17 at 17:07:47

Check behind the drive belt, there is a wire that runs beside the battery to the side stand safety switch or neutral switch. It might be loose and rubbing on the belt, wearing thru the covering and messing with the circuit. Mine did that and would just die as I was riding, stop and put it in neutral and it wold start right up.

« Last Edit: 04/24/17 at 18:38:01 by badwolf »  
  IP Logged
blacksavage40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/24/17 at 18:28:37

Thank you so much.  I'll take this to the mechanic and go from there.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/24/17 at 18:38:36

a 2009 S40, has about 23,000 miles on it,
Time to look at the cam chain.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/24/17 at 18:39:55

test the petcock, look it up in the tech section index.

WWW   IP Logged
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reply #5 - 04/25/17 at 09:20:01

Check out my post in rubber side down "She made me walk back home".  It really sounds just like the electrical problem that I had last weekend.  I just got done taking the tank off, and cleaning the connectors under there.  When the bike is in the "fail" condition, see if there is any power from teh battery at all.  For my situation there was no power, no lights, strter, etc.  The bike was just running off the generator, not getting the right power to run ignition properly.  I am just going to check, clean, and reseat all connectors, and check the battery terminal connections.  I think we have a broken wire or bad connector.

2008 S40
  IP Logged
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reply #6 - 04/25/17 at 09:22:53

OOps, i meant reference post "Bike acting bad, then dead, no electrical power"

2008 S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/26/17 at 08:01:36

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/24/17 at 18:38:36:
a 2009 S40, has about 23,000 miles on it,
Time to look at the cam chain.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 04/27/17 at 16:42:23

Chances are it's the stock petcock, I'd be willing to bet that each time it failed and the bike died you where riding at highway speeds .At those speeds the butterfly of the carb is  open wider and the vacuum in the carb is lower,the spring in the carb closes the diaphragm cutting off fuel flow to the carb bowl because there isn't enough vacuum to fight the spring pressure .If I'm correct, you need a Raptor petcock.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #9 - 05/02/17 at 06:20:22

Mine used to do the same thing and I ( alright then, my mate ) traced it back to the coil shorting out, but that was just my experience, it could be a few things as mentioned above so we have to eliminate the impossible and what we have left however improbable must be the truth, well according to S.H. that is, smart arse Smiley
p.s. I've found that most "mechanics" and electrical stuff dont play well together

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
blacksavage40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/02/17 at 07:14:25

Thanks for all the input.  So if the mechanic isn't the best place to take the bike for electrical problem what does one do?  I know how to change the oil. lol  That is it.  And, the mechanic has not found the problem.  I took the bike home, rode it 5 miles, it backfired, stopped and wouldn't stay lit so he came and got me and the bike and it i back in the shop.  He checked the petcock and said it was ok.  I printed off the other suggestions and he tried various ideas.  Does anyone want a 2009 S40, black, side bags, wind screen, back rest?   Tongue

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/02/17 at 07:30:46

The bike will be a a lot of fun and you won't want to sell it....once you get it running reliably.  Somebody needs to know what to look for at the exact moment that is stops and won't start.

Take a screwdriver so you can open up the drain on the bottom of the carb and see if you can get some fuel flow.  If you take a small syringe of fuel you can remove the vacuum hose at the carb and squirt a bit of fuel into the vacuum port of the carb and see if the bike will fire up for a second or two until the fuel is burned off.  Take a spare plug and pull the spark plug wire off - but in the spare plug and set it on the top of the engine and see if the plug makes a spark when you run the starter.

Where are you located...maybe we can find you a good mechanic that is local to you.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
blacksavage40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/02/17 at 08:50:22

He checked gas flow and we were lucky because it "behaved" exactly as I hoped it would when he came to pick it up.  I am in Springfield Ohio for now.

Just kidding. I love the bike, it is a lot of fun to ride and I preferred it to the 800 Intruder I gave to my son.

IP Logged
blacksavage40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/04/17 at 07:55:13

The mechanic working on my bike let it idle while he worked on other bikes and once warm it did its thing by backfiring and stopping.  Once it cools off it starts up just fine.  So I hope this will be the beginning of finding out what is going on with it.  In the meantime it is raining here in Ohio and 43 degrees so at least I am not missing out on beautiful windless warm days.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 05/04/17 at 08:23:25

How long did he let it idle ,until it overheated? I hope it wasn't sit on the sidestand ! did he check the petcock ?or the fuel level in the carb bowl after it quit? Almost sounds like he's to busy working on other bike to fix yours.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:22:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › back fires and stops

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.