back fires and stops (Read 401 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: back fires and stops
Reply #30 - 05/08/17 at 20:59:50

Well being young enough to ride a motor cycle ,and being female doesn't cut it as an excuse. These bikes are coed ,and tools are too.As for age ,,if you can match my 69 years I may think that you need physical help.If not.  I would say that threre are women on this site and they do work on their bikes and so can you.I gave you a blow by blow on how to swap the petcock that anyone could follow,and this is the type of info this site provides to anyone , and I would be glad to help in the future,but I feel it is not my "job" to enlighten your mechanic.Leaving the bike to idle on the sidestand ,starves the right side of the cam for oil ,more so it the idle speed is set below 1000rpm.If he didn't set a fan in front of the bike it overheated ,causing further damage.He is clueless ,that is why a said you should take the bike home and do the repairs yourself,or you may take it to the dealer,they may be better than you think.But you never know if your guy doesn't ruin your motor he may have it running by Christmas.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #31 - 05/08/17 at 21:34:33

It would be helpful to know your location ,maybe a member could guide you through some repairs.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 05/08/17 at 22:13:56

There may be nobody else on the planet who will tell you that idling on the sidestand  will wreck the cam,but that doesn't mean it's not true. We can walk you through things.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #33 - 05/09/17 at 05:30:29

HOLD THE PRESSES!I BELIEVE  I HAVE DISCOVERED  YOUR PROBLEM! IT'S SABOTAGE! BY THE OWNER! May I quote you?" I'm in the habit of putting in an additive each time I fill up the tank" Most additives are petroleum distillates ,(AKA-diesel fuel/KEROSENE).seeing that you never really use all the gas in your tank,if your habit is to add the same amount of additive each time ,you have over many fill ups ,slowly turned the fuel in your tank from gas into diesel fuel,WHICH IS HEAVIER THAN GAS ,it settles to the bottom of the tank at smoother highway speeds and you get a slug of it in the cylinder the sparkplug can't ignite it ,it then leaves unburnt into the hot exhaust pipe which does ignite it causing the bike to backfire ,and die,killing the motor.As the fuel level drops in your tank the concentration becomes stronger ,this explains your the shorter length in time between your problems on the road, and the fact that in the end the bike wouldn't start at all. " When the bike sits for 15 min. and cools off then it will start right up"No when it sits the oil in the fuel settles to the bottom of the carb fuel bowl and the gas moves upward toward the jets allowing the bike to be restarted .If you pull the sparkplug and it has black soot on it ,that would be an indication ,stock motors usually run lean and clean plugs. drain all the present fuel from the tank and carb bowl ,replace with new (I' d use 91 octane this time) and use a new or cleaned sparkplug.SKIP USING ADDITIVE ,IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY ( unless your putting the bike in storage ,then use sta-bil ),as the bike doesn't require it ,and they are for one time ,not continual use.

« Last Edit: 05/09/17 at 06:44:35 by batman »  

IP Logged
blacksavage40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 05/09/17 at 07:00:35

This explanation  of over doing the additive  makes sense.  Someone along the way told me to put in additive every time I get gas.  You live and learn and I am fairly new at riding.

About working on the bike.  I know I could do it and I know many women do and age is not important. I would gladly learn how to do more of the maintenance if I had someone here to walk me through it but  I am not willing to attempt it with email and pictures/instructions or even youtube.  I can pull the spark plug and check it out once I get the bike back here.  I can drain the gas line too and go from there.  I have one neighbor who rides.  He uses the same mechanic and doesn't even change his own oil so he is useless.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #35 - 05/09/17 at 07:09:34

We have over 7000 members world wide ,most here in the states ,where are you located ? state and nearest city? someone could be close enough to lend a hand.

IP Logged
blacksavage40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 05/09/17 at 10:34:28

Springfield Ohio

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #37 - 05/09/17 at 10:45:08

.  I have one neighbor who rides.  He uses the same mechanic and doesn't even change his own oil so he is useless.

That's a good attitude. You'll probably be okay on your own. The CATCH, spotting the Additive thing, good job..
Now, has your cam been scorched by the mechanic? Might wanna look at the valve adjustment. If it's much different between intake and exhaust and the exhaust is looser, that could be bad news. I would want to know before I took it home. The mechanic who said he knows how to work on it might be paying for the parts.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #38 - 05/09/17 at 11:03:08

If you can pull the spark plug then you can change the petcock. While you're getting to the spark plug, you've done most of the work needed to change the petcock.

All you have to do is:
1. Drain the gas
2. Remove the gas tank from the frame (you have to do this to get at the spark plug anyway)
3. On the underside of the tank, unscrew the petcock (two screws) and pull it out of the gas tank. Make sure you remove the hardware from the petcock.
4. Slide the new Raptor petcock into the slot the old petcock sat.
5. Install the old hardware in the same spot.
6. Put everything back on the bike after checking the spark plug.

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #39 - 05/09/17 at 14:31:35

You don't have to remove the tank to change the sparkplug ,you only have to remove the chrome cover on top of the head,and use the sparkplug socket in the tool pouch.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #40 - 05/09/17 at 17:14:10

Correct. And, the cavity the plug sits in catches grit. Check it, clear it, before you pull the plug.
The vacuum line has to be plugged off.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:36:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › back fires and stops

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.