stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: back fires and stops
Reply #15 - 05/04/17 at 08:46:29

a) Since the mechanic said he checked the petcock and it was ok, how does he know? Did he follow the suggestions of the forum here to test it or did it just "look" ok?  I wouldn't take his word for it unless he did the recommended petcock tests outlined by this forum.

b) Make sure you have no leaks in your carb vacuum line. A small crack will let air leak out thus decreasing your vacuum pressure and lessening the ability for a properly functioning petcock to deliver fuel.

c) make sure your gas cap is venting and not clogged. Doesn't really make sense that this would be your problem, but the more you ride and bounce around the more pressure in the tank can build up (or the more a vacuum can build) causing crazy things to happen with your fuel flow.

d) If it only seems to happen after the bike gets warm/hot, could be a spark plug getting hot and fouling out as one suggestion mentioned.  Test your plug or get a new one to eliminate that as a possibility.

e) If it only seems to happen after the bike gets warm/hot, are you sure that you don't have a loose header or muffler connection that is changing shape when it gets hot thus creating an air leak, which leads to loss of backpressure and possible rough running?  Don't go wrench the header bolts down and break them, they are only supposed to be snug, not superman tight!

Maybe none of this is your issue and maybe you have tested all of these things?  I dunno...

Good luck!  

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 05/04/17 at 09:57:40

Since the petcock is known to fail and known for its strange symptoms, just spend the money and put a Genuine Yamaha petcock on it and remove the variable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
blacksavage40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 05/04/17 at 11:11:50

I took suggestions from this site to him and he checked several things including the petcock.  When he came to pick it up after it stalled the last time he checked the gas line and it was getting gas.  Once it cools off it starts right away.    When it has happened if I sit for a while, like 20 minutes it will start up but  I don't always get stuck in a convenient spot with a wide shoulder so it was time to get it looked at.  I've heard good things about this guy from 2 different bikers and took him on their recommendation.  So we shall see.  The dealer in the area is thumbs down.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #18 - 05/04/17 at 17:12:57

If you want it do it right, do it yourself! Most places,including dealers don't know squat about this bike! And you need to learn too!I think it's time to get your hands dirty!I guess if your great mechanic can't figure it out in over 3 weeks, he might not be so great . Hell,it's one cylinder ,one sparkplug,one carb ,how hard can it be?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
blacksavage40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/05/17 at 07:53:59

I agree with you but for me outside of the oil change I have no knowledge of the mechanics of a motorcycle.  I'm learning a little  as time goes on so maybe someday I will be able to do the work.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 05/05/17 at 09:35:46

Can youwork on a lawnmower?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #21 - 05/05/17 at 12:47:13

I think Justin has a good idea. Get a Raptor.
They are cheaper than a mechanic's flat rate.

Eventually you will change the petcock. So why nor now? Smiley

My practically brand new petcock is sitting in my garage. I changed it because I new it would eventually give trouble. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #22 - 05/05/17 at 12:48:29

P.S. it also makes getting the fuel tank off a lot easier.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
blacksavage40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 05/05/17 at 13:56:07

I can do the maintenance on a lawn mower, push type, except for sharpening the blade, that is change oil spark plug and clean carb.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #24 - 05/05/17 at 14:03:57

You really need to order the petcock and change it yourself ,you need to take the bike home and perfrom the work yourself. changing the petcock is putting the stock one on pri and draining the gas ,taking out the two screws and washers that hold it to the tank, pulling the stock, side in the new Raptor ,and replacing the screws, and sealing washers  after that you need to plug the opening on the carb that the vacuum line hooked to.They sell small rubber caps at any parts store. You can  do it!(don't place a fuel filter between the petcock and the carb, and don't use any fuel additive.)

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #25 - 05/05/17 at 14:32:13

I freely admit I don't know much about engines.  But I had the petcock issue, and I don't recall any backfires because of it. It would silently die at highway and low speed and not restart until I turned it to Prime.  I put the Raptor on, it was easy and I was lucky it didn't leak.  I don't think the petcock is his described problem (but it will be a problem).

This backfire and stop, does sound electrical.  First it's running normally, fuel flow is normal, then spark is interrupted, engine still turning, fuel is still flowing unburnt thru the muffler, so it backfires.  Right?   So it sounds like a skinned wire close to a hot part.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 05/05/17 at 14:51:45

Petcock issue can cause a backfire depending on the engine load and condition of the petcock.  It will have some of the same issues as running out of gas.  I can feel the carb lean out, sometimes it'll backfire, sometimes just quit.

The petcock can cause some really funky issues, best to turn it to prime, and see if the problem goes away.  If it does, replace it or vac line or test it further.  We like to get this out of the way 1st since it's very common.  A lot more common then wires rubbing on the pulley.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #27 - 05/08/17 at 14:48:14

Ero4444A skinned wire next to a hot part? A skinned wire would care less about the part being hot or not , a bare wire would jump to ground on a metal part no matter what the temp. If the bike has spark to start,the only way the spark would fail is if the ignitor  unit failed ,this could be seen buy clamping on an induction timing light.Logic-is the best tool in the box,the bike has compression,spark, fuel? I have advised him to buy and change to a raptor to no avail ! He has a "mechanic "that leaves the bike on the side stand idling ,to go work on other bikes,until it stalls (wonderful) this should give you some idea about what this guy knows or cares about fixing the bike! Stick a fork in me ,I'm done! SO BE IT!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 05/08/17 at 14:57:29

He has a "mechanic "that leaves the bike on the side stand idling ,to go work on other bikes,until it stalls

I didn't see that...
Ooopsies..

IP Logged
blacksavage40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 05/08/17 at 15:19:24

Hello
I am the person who started this conversation.   Just to clear up a bit of the comments, nearly everything that was suggested he did and to no avail.  The only time the bike backfires and stops is when it has been ridden for a while, even up to 40 miles.  Once it cools down, maybe 20 minutes it will start again.  I don't see his idea of letting it idle as crazy as it did finally backfire and stop while in his shop.    I am an older female with little knowledge of motorcycles except for oil change and checking tire pressure.  I thank all of you for your suggestions and be glad you can work on your own bikes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:41:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › back fires and stops

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.