Send Topic Print
Difficult clutch pull (Read 112 times)
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Difficult clutch pull
04/24/17 at 15:49:36

My clutch handle is very difficult to pull. I've only had my bike for about 3000 miles, and it's a little more difficult than when I bought it. This is my third bike, and I work with my hands at a very physical job so believe me when I say that there is definitely something odd happening if I get a left-hand workout after a 50 mile ride.

I've done the raptor petcock, re-jetted the carb and have changed the oil twice, so it's possible I've run the clutch cable over something awkwardly...? I'm a "meh" mechanic, not hopeless I've just never had the need to mess with a clutch cable before, so I'm at a loss with that system.

I plan on snagging a round-slider for my next bit of modding, so if the solution to my current problem involves purchasing a new cable or spending much money I'll probably just move forward with the VM36...

Thoughts? Also, thanks!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Difficult clutch pull
Reply #1 - 04/24/17 at 16:01:44

You'e had the tank and seat off to do the carb ,I'd start there ,maybe you ran the throttle cable or speedo cable across the clutch cable or pinched it in the tank mount ? Anyway you need to check the routing and make sure the bends are as large a radius as you can make them. I would also check the cable at the clutch arm to make sure it is seated right ,and you might try to lube it .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/25/17 at 04:23:08

I had to go back to your first post to find out a bit more info:

9K miles
stock except cosmetically
mechanical experience is... very rusty. I live in an apartment now, so I have little to no ability to do things that don't bolt on.

So your bike has been sitting outside for 10 years?

It is possible that your cable is badly in need of lubrication - or replacement.  Also you should take the lever off the handlebar and clean and lubricate the pivot bolt.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/25/17 at 14:58:02

Good suggestions, thank you.

haha, no. The bike hasn't been sitting out for years. I bought it from an old man several months ago and he kept it in a garage...

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 04/25/17 at 21:42:58

Being in a garage is no reason to think the cable is not rusted,concrete is not a water barrier ,moisture moves through it,unless it's heated 24/7 a bike can still rust.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Whoas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/28/17 at 07:51:39

i had the same issue when i bought my bike.  id recommend attempt lubricating the cable asap (as other members have already stated).  I waited a day too long and the resistance ended up snapping my cable completely when i went to start it one day.  luckily it wasnt while riding.  lesson learned.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:31:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Difficult clutch pull

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.