Reply #15 - 04/24/17 at 14:13:34

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Nike Missile Base PH75
Reply #16 - 04/24/17 at 21:57:42

Idk what number it was but it was located on the ridge between Pacifica and San Bruno CA. Think it's called Milgra Ridge and the radar was on Sweeney Ridge or maybe I got it backwards , I think its right.
In the artillery bunker that had 2 huge guns one at each door , the bunker was built into the hill,hallway between doors over 500 ft long and went back into the hill close to 1000 ft after you went thru the nuclear blast door that had a huge civil defense emblem on it. Above that bunker was a pillbox bunker looking out to the Pacific Ocean and behind that was 2 massive underground water storage areas , we used to swim inside it , Brrr !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #17 - 04/25/17 at 08:50:54

The sites I want to see next weekend are under private and/or township ownership so I'll just go knock on doors and ask if I can go in. Failing that I'll try to get the best pics I can from a distance.

But it never hurts to ask.

At Camp Hero in Montauk there are also 4 artillery batteries for 16 inchers that had "underground" passages between them. In this case the passages were actually above ground structures covered over with soil and vegetation to look like natural hills.
In fact this camouflaging of stuff was one of the best features at this base. It was made to look like a tiny fishing village. Even the Anti-aircraft bunkers had fake wood siding and trim cast into the concrete as well as actual wood shingle roofs over the actual rooftops. In old time photos of the bunkers they looked like cheerful beach cottages until you noticed the gun slits right under the eaves with 20mm gun barrels sticking out of them.
All this effort to conceal is seen only in the structures from WWII when the coastlines were being observed by U-Boats.
During the Cold War they gave up the pretense completely. After all how do you make a rotating radar dish 135 ft. across look like part of a cutsie seaside resort?  Grin

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #18 - 04/25/17 at 12:33:27

The silos where big, guess each one could hold 70 to 80 cars with steel doors to stairway down in. Silo doors were pretty long with a platform elevator that would rise up to ground level to fire the missle then down to reload. Guided missles all were fired from the same position, no aiming it.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:21:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › Nike Missile Base PH75

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.