Bobber Build Completed (Read 217 times)
Arty Dodger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport, LA
Bobber Build Completed
04/23/17 at 18:41:46

Hello there!  I want to show you guys what I've been working on.  I am by no means mechanically inclined so I'm extremely proud of myself for the work I was able to do.  For the most part, I did this myself (used a little help on welding).  

Modifications:
-Voodoo turnout exhaust slip on
-Painted front end
-2" handlebar risers
-New grips
-belt drive guard pulled
-solo seat (uncomfortable)
-Billet turn signals
-license plate and rear light bracket on swing arm
-tractor trailer fender (I had help welding tabs I cut from the stock muffler bracket to attach to the swingarm and I used a simple bracket welded on the swing arm brace to attach the fender)
-pancake filter attached directly to the carb (After riding it seems to be doing fine without tuning, but I'll need to ride it some more to find out)
-electronics hiding in PVC fake oil can (right now it looks like pvc so I'm going to paint it)

Now all I need to do is paint the whole bike!  But of course, there's a lot more I want to do to it, but for now...it's riding weather.

I was able to use existing stock parts and modify them to work with the aftermarket parts and that took alot of trial and error.  It's by no means perfect, but hey...I think it's pretty good for someone who is not mechanically inclined!

Photos:

2007 Suzuki Savage to Bob or Die!
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Bobber Build Completed
Reply #1 - 04/23/17 at 19:32:20

Arty Ddger, Cut a couple 2'' pieces of 2'' angle iron and mount them inward under the shock nuts. You can then mount some 3'' springs to hold up the seat. You WILL like the seat better then.

IP Logged
Arty Dodger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport, LA
Reply #2 - 04/23/17 at 19:37:05

Well it's not really the lack of shocks that make the seat uncomfortable, its rather the cushion and the way there's virtually no foam in that seat.   We thought about using springs, but I just didn't like the way they looked.

I'm going to get that seat recovered with more cushion.  If that doesn't work then I'll add some maybe 2" springs.

edit:  But I see no point in having two sets of springs.  If it was hardtail, then I def would have springs.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 04/23/17 at 19:59:01

I use my s40 as a all around ride, running errands around town and 2 weeks ago a ''weekend'' trip to Columbia SC 1400+ miles in 5 days. The springs under the seat make a world of difference. (and I can't see them while I'm riding)

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 04/23/17 at 20:09:59

Nice work! Let us know what you decide about the seat springs. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/24/17 at 08:10:58

Looks really good. when you go to paint check out a product call "SpryMax 2K" It is a two part clear coat that comes in gloss or a mat finish now. It comes in a spray can. with care, a lot of sanding and some practice you can get a great job spray painting the parts yourself. You can really get a good job for a couple hundred bucks right in your own garage. You must wear paint respirator to spray the SprayMax. You can get a disposable (about 50 uses) for 50 bucks.

the bike below was all spray cans in the garage.

FB_IMG_1450967855235_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Arty Dodger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport, LA
Reply #6 - 04/24/17 at 08:22:24

MShipley wrote on 04/24/17 at 08:10:58:
Looks really good. when you go to paint check out a product call "SpryMax 2K" It is a two part clear coat that comes in gloss or a mat finish now. It comes in a spray can. with care, a lot of sanding and some practice you can get a great job spray painting the parts yourself. You can really get a good job for a couple hundred bucks right in your own garage. You must wear paint respirator to spray the SprayMax. You can get a disposable (about 50 uses) for 50 bucks.

the bike below was all spray cans in the garage.

+++++++++++++++
Thanks, I'll look into that.  Are those bars from BCB?  I put 2" risers with the stock bars (newer model drag style) and I had to turn them slightly up to make clearance for my controls.  

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #7 - 04/24/17 at 08:27:28

OK, I don't want to derail the thread from a good looking new build, or seem to dwell on the spring thing,,, but. MShipley, that looks great! I love the way you mounted the springs inboard and painted them to blend-in. Nowadays a sprung seat seems antique and along with suspension might seem redundant or overkill, but it FEELS nice on a long ride, or potholed road.
Dodger, Looking forward to seeing this bike again as you progress.

IP Logged
Arty Dodger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport, LA
Reply #8 - 04/24/17 at 08:35:02

badwolf.  Yea I may still add springs to it because I understand.  Down here in Louisiana we have bad pot holes.  However I don't anticipate going on long rides per say and it's really just a stylistic issue.  But I totally feel ya lol!  Got a pic of your bike?

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/24/17 at 08:47:06

Thanks, I'll look into that.  Are those bars from BCB?  I put 2" risers with the stock bars (newer model drag style) and I had to turn them slightly up to make clearance for my controls.  

Art, this is a complete BCB kit. They are great people and make a great product. I Had a "Godfather" moment with this bike and had a guy stop and make me an offer I couldn't refuse so I sold her a couple years ago. I am in the process of building a new one.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 04/24/17 at 09:05:57

Looks good ,but you might think about a front fender ,you could cut the stock one down to a length that would just keep rain out of your face,and the center where it bolts on to the fork would act as a fork brace to help in handling .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Arty Dodger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport, LA
Reply #11 - 04/24/17 at 09:07:38

batman wrote on 04/24/17 at 09:05:57:
Looks good ,but you might think about a front fender ,you could cut the stock one down to a length that would just keep rain out of your face,and the center where it bolts on to the fork would act as a fork brace to help in handling .

++++++++++++
Yea when I bought the bike the guy didnt have the front fender so I've taken some water to the face plenty of time.  Just hadn't gotten one yet.

IP Logged
Arty Dodger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport, LA
Reply #12 - 04/24/17 at 09:08:33

So I just got some cheap 2" springs.  I'll add them and see what I think.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #13 - 04/24/17 at 09:10:40

Dodger, As you can see below my bike is about as far as one can get from your bobber style. I did 20k last year including a couple 850 mile days. After seeing Shipleys bike I'm thinking I might go with the black springs too.

On last summer's trip north I stopped to see a old friend I met riding dirt bikes in my teens. He got into building custom Harleys and was a big time show judge for 16 years.(Strugus, Rat's Hole, Laconia) He showed me his current bike and it was gorgeous! BUT, 2 years old and he had never rode it! He looked at my bike and shook his head. He looks at bikes as a piece of art. I built this bike up to ride.
That is the beauty of a S40 or Harley, you can make them into whatever suits YOUR taste.
My cousin lives about 5 miles from my old friend. He bought a new Harley in 11', put a trike kit on it in 13', when I saw him in Richmond in Sept. he had 93k on it!

IP Logged
Arty Dodger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport, LA
Reply #14 - 04/24/17 at 09:35:04

Badwolf.  Yea it all comes down to preference.  If I was concerned with travel and comfort I wouldn't have taken everything off it lol.

Your bike looks good man and I bet it's comfortable as hell!  With my wife never wanting to ride it, I threatened her with taking off her seat so I did lol.  Besides I won't be taking long trips on my bike.  Just a good bar hopper.  

I just ordered some 2" black springs for like $15 so I'll see what I think and post photos and results

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 09:25:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bobber Build Completed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.