Send Topic Print
Exhausts (Read 638 times)
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Exhausts
04/21/17 at 12:46:02

So I'm looking to get rid of the lawn mower/sowing machine sounds of my bike for something a little more substantial.

I strolled down to the Harley dealership to inquire about a slip on screamin' eagle (and possibly fish a tarnished one out of the dumpster or for a couple bucks). He had some questions that I couldn't quite answer.

First one was what year Dyna do I need the exhaust for?

Also after looking back and seeing some other videos of the screamin' eagle I don't think that is what I want to go with. Everybody says the Dyna is a nice exhaust, but a lot of people way its quiet. I like to ride with a buddy that has a HD 883 Iron, so I'd like an exhaust that doesn't get drowned out by him. Not something loud, but not so quiet that you think only one bike is coming up the road. Will the stock Dyna still do what I want?

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Exhausts
Reply #1 - 04/21/17 at 13:01:08

Supertrapp

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/21/17 at 13:34:07

In the tech section index look up 'harley muff guide'

WWW   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #3 - 04/21/17 at 13:49:49

I don't think the stock Dyna will do what you want. It's the one the HD riders take off and throw away because it's too quiet for them. I like it, because it's much better (sound and looks) than the stock Savage muffler, but it's not loud enough to attract unwanted attention. I would call it a quiet muffler.

For example, my girlfriend has a slip on Yoshimura exhaust on her Ninja250R and when we ride together her exhaust is a fair bit louder than mine.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #4 - 04/21/17 at 13:55:50

Maybe for now I'll buy a cheap Dyna. After that Ill do a little more research and wait for a cheaper Supertrapp.

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/21/17 at 14:40:57

IslandRoad wrote on 04/21/17 at 13:49:49:
I don't think the stock Dyna will do what you want. It's the one the HD riders take off and throw away because it's too quiet for them. I like it, because it's much better (sound and looks) than the stock Savage muffler, but it's not loud enough to attract unwanted attention. I would call it a quiet muffler.

For example, my girlfriend has a slip on Yoshimura exhaust on her Ninja250R and when we ride together her exhaust is a fair bit louder than mine.

Yes but modifying it to make it louder is easy.
There's a solid baffle about half way down.
Drill a hole thru it, I'd start with a 1/4" hole and increase it to suit.
I'd make a guide so it'll be somewhat centered, making easy to enlarge.
This baffle sometimes comes out, but can be replaced with a freeze plug.
It'll make it leaner, so you'll have to compensate.

WWW   IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #6 - 04/21/17 at 15:05:05

I had a Delkevic exhaust on my S40 for a few weeks. Nice exhaust, but VERY loud. I bought their shorty exhaust. They sell a longer exhaust that is somewhat no so loud.

IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #7 - 04/21/17 at 15:27:21

i have the longer Delkevic exhaust, its not as loud but its very deep. i can feel it in my chest at a idle. at 55mph its no louder then the wind noise on my helmet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc0pw__WKKI

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #8 - 04/21/17 at 15:44:30

I'm still waiting for a review of the new MAC system.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 04/21/17 at 20:37:14

Yeah , I think we all do  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 04/21/17 at 21:42:20

Mine I got on fleabay,2"header 1 7/8 I.D. With muffler ,no name or numbers on it ,new old stock spotless clean on the inside , muffler too long for tracker but would have looked very cool on a stocker ,cut muffler and made a repackable core baffle,painted it flat black.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 04/22/17 at 10:07:45

The super trapp is good cause its tunable for noise level. Find level your ok with then rejet and your done.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/24/17 at 16:06:28

I'm kinda anti-loud pipes, so that's my perspective...

But I'm very happy with how my dyna shorty sounds, especially at high speeds. I can actually hear myself when driving with my buddy (he has an FZ1 with a pretty loud exhaust). And the grunt while idling is pleasing.

Again, it might not get you there if you're one of those people who's lost all his hearing yet insists that his version of "loud" isn't actually "the reason why they made that episode of south park".

So... please remember to be a good neighbor...

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #13 - 04/24/17 at 18:39:32

I'm using a Harley sportster muffler with a 1/2 inch hole drilled in the baffle. It works great and gives a nice growl at full throttle. I tried a Dyna with a blown baffle but took it off after about a 10 mile ride, the bike didn't like it and it was way too loud.
 A little back pressure helps with the tuning and gives a better power band.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #14 - 04/25/17 at 10:49:45

Don't get me wrong, I don't want an ear rupturing exhaust. Just something to keep pace with my friend's stock 883 Iron exhaust.

When he upgrades his exhaust to something ear splitting I will not be keeping up.

However I do want something more substantial. It seems to be that the stock Dyna (whats the difference between a stock Dyna and a shorty Dyna? And why would you want one over the other?) or the Supertrapp will get me what I want in tone, and I can then just adjust the baffle for the decibel level I'm looking for.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:26:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhausts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.