Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clarification about muffler gasket (s) (Read 64 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clarification about muffler gasket (s)
04/20/17 at 18:11:07

There's only one muffler gasket at the header that inserts correct?

The external pipe clamp that actually holds the main pipe to the motor had what appeared to be an old deteriorated gasket type material on it when I took it off.  (I should probably clean this area but I haven't found much info about it)

I assume that was a composite material of some type and not a specific gasket that belongs there.  

Any info on what I should do before I re-attach the pipe would be appreciated.  Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Clarification about muffler gasket (s)
Reply #1 - 04/20/17 at 18:31:06

The Oooh Fishal gasket is a metal crush washer thing that fits inside the head. The clamp pushes the header in and crush seals the gap. Nothing should be a gasket like you would expect to see between a water pump and block. You may not have gotten it out yet. They are tough and can be reused unless it's damaged.
Don't get strong tightening the thing up. Much better to snug it every few months than bust something off.
1/4" ratchet held thumb on the head, close fingers gently, feel the clamping force,
Antisieze is your friend.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/20/17 at 20:03:02

'Anti seize is your friend.'  Yep, it sure is.  Every time I use it, I end up getting it everywhere.  I am a slob, I suppose. Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/21/17 at 03:38:09

At the place where the header bolts to the head - there is a round gasket that fits into a recess in the head.  Once it is installed and the bike is run, the gasket conforms to the shape of the exhaust port and it doesn't fall out, and looks like it is part of the head.  It deforms and squishes a bit when first installed, and that causes it to get stuck in the head.  This gasket is what the flange on the pipe seats against - the flange with the 2 holes in it should not seat against the head - there should be a small gap.

You should be using anti-sieze on the 2 bolts that hold the pipe to the head - as they can get stuck and that is a big problem.  You should also not tighten them too much - I use a 1/4" ratchet and one hand to snug them in place.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/21/17 at 14:14:06

Ok thanks for the info.  I have a replacement crush gasket but nothing for the clamp which seems normal.  Someone definitely made a seal for it in the past though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:34:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clarification about muffler gasket (s)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.