Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Day New Problem... It's hard to hit 50mph (Read 105 times)
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Day New Problem... It's hard to hit 50mph
04/19/17 at 20:20:31

I usually just ride my bike near my home and the surrounding areas. But a few days ago I decided to venture a little further than the store and the bank. When I started down the road the speed limit sign said 50mph but when I got in 4th gear my bike struggled to reach 50. I have no idea why. This is the first time I've even attempted to go over 40(most places I go to don't require a higher speed). I checked my carb to see if it was dirty or clogged up but it wasn't. I checked the fuel line and vacuum line for clogs or tears but i found nothing. I checked to see if my carb was assembled correctly the last time I fiddled with it and everything was in it's correct place. I asked around and a few people told me it was the petcock and others​ said to change my air filter. (I haven't changed the air filter since I've owned the bike). Whenever I get pass 3/4th throttle in 4th gear the bike starts to putter and the engine feels like it just can't push it anymore. At one point when I was trying to reach 50mph the bike slowed down instead of going faster... Now I do need to adjust my throttle cable to take some of the free play out but I don't think that is the only culprit. Help?!?!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New Day New Problem... It's hard to hit 50mph
Reply #1 - 04/19/17 at 20:52:35

1st thing is to test your petcock.
go to the tech section index and find "test your petcock"

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 04/19/17 at 23:34:09

You should look at your diaphragm for leaks again.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
alisonsup

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/25/17 at 16:50:45

Sorry for the late reply.
I went out to look at my bike and found fuel leaking from the vacuum hose. Which I'm guessing means I need to replace the petcock or fix it. I do have a question though. Because my vacuum hose had fuel in it does this now mean there is fuel in my crankcase? Does my oil need to be drained and replaced? I'm asking because in other threads people who had leaking vacuum lines had fuel in their crankcase. I went to smell the entrance where you put oil in the bike but I couldn't smell any fuel.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/25/17 at 18:16:04

If you don't smell fuel in the oil, and the oil level has not risen noticeably - the fuel may not have made it to the crankcase.

But - it might have made it to the air cleaner box.  It depends if the bike is parked on a slope which direction the gasoline will travel.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/25/17 at 18:35:02

alisonsup wrote on 04/25/17 at 16:50:45:
Sorry for the late reply.
I went out to look at my bike and found fuel leaking from the vacuum hose. Which I'm guessing means I need to replace the petcock or fix it. I do have a question though. Because my vacuum hose had fuel in it does this now mean there is fuel in my crankcase? Does my oil need to be drained and replaced? I'm asking because in other threads people who had leaking vacuum lines had fuel in their crankcase. I went to smell the entrance where you put oil in the bike but I couldn't smell any fuel.

Most likely you have a punctured diaphragm.
Now's a good time to install a raptorcock.
See the test your petcock thread in the tech section for the part number.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:25:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Day New Problem... It's hard to hit 50mph

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.