Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cone air filter with stock Battery box? (Read 113 times)
civilsavage
YaBB Newbies

Standing at the
Crossroads . . .

OH and PA
Cone air filter with stock Battery box?
04/19/17 at 20:08:36

I apologize in advance if this is something that has been answered before, but I tried searching the Forum and got bupkis. . .

I'm looking to replace the stock air filter with a K&N cone or similar, and losing the airbox in the process, but I don't want to get into the fabrication involved in moving the battery, at least for now.

So, I'm wondering about fitment for a replacement filter.  I saw where Lancer had made some suggestions but those were in connection with his replacement carb kit, and I don't know if that carb has the same dimensions as the stock carb, as far as length and flange dia.

Has anyone done this?  What fits/works well?  And, if I'm keeping the stock exhaust, any need to rejet?

The bike is a 2002, if that matters.

2002 Savage, 2005 HD E-Glide Classic
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Cone air filter with stock Battery box?
Reply #1 - 04/19/17 at 20:55:27

go to the tech section index and find "cone filter mod"

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/20/17 at 06:02:49

civilsavage wrote on 04/19/17 at 20:08:36:
I apologize in advance if this is something that has been answered before, but I tried searching the Forum and got bupkis. . .

-------

By default the search function only goes back 1 week or something like that.  You need to search further back most of the time to get hits.  This took me some time to get used to when I first started using the forum.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/20/17 at 06:13:51

civilsavage wrote on 04/19/17 at 20:08:36:

Although I have heard the word before and new what it meant.....I felt the need to find out where it came from.  This is what I found in my Google search:

"Bupkis is a Yiddish word, which is literally translated as “beans” and is derived from a Slavic word for “goat droppings.” Apparently goat droppings look like beans, although I’ve never actually seen any goat droppings."

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 04/20/17 at 06:58:12

Never been much for beans ! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
civilsavage
YaBB Newbies

Standing at the
Crossroads . . .

OH and PA
Reply #5 - 04/20/17 at 20:11:09

Thanks, Verslagen!  I think my problem was indeed my (mis)use of the search function.  Also, I was using search terms with "air filter", not "cone filter", that's probably why I missed it.

2002 Savage, 2005 HD E-Glide Classic
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #6 - 04/22/17 at 23:49:08

this one works if you dremel the airbox.
https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=RC-1250
I use the airbox to hold the side covers only. Cool

IP Logged
TC
YaBB Newbies

All you gotta do is
jump.

Thousand Oaks, CA
Reply #7 - 04/23/17 at 21:27:00

Theres an Emgo filter that most dudes on here switch to in order to ditch the airbox.  Check the OD of the carb flange and find the matching filter.  Most moto shops should have it, if not, Amazon has them.  Ditching the airbox is a bit more labor intensive than it may seem though.  Give yourself a bit of time.  
The cone fits with the stock battery box its just a bit snug.  The battery housing is a bit flexible (mounted on rubber bushings) so you can use a belt to pull it towards the rear tire which creates a bit more room to work.

You could also repurpose the airbox to fit the battery if you want to creative.  

Rejetting depends somewhat on preference, and location/elevation.  Refer to the master threads pinned in the tech section

Happy modding!

2006 S40/Black/Biltwell Keystones/Reversed Drag Risers/Gaiters/Raptor/Dyna/Belt guard Delete/Engine Guard Delete/Bates Tail Light/Side Mount Vertical License
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:30:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cone air filter with stock Battery box?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.