Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Engine Replacement (Read 607 times)
Rayven

Colorado
Engine Replacement
04/18/17 at 08:48:49

Just curious...has anyone tried or know anyone who has tried to put a different engine in the savage frame?

All I have left to do...is a lot...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Engine Replacement
Reply #1 - 04/18/17 at 09:13:03

Okay, What have you done?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Reply #2 - 04/18/17 at 09:44:41

"justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/18/17 at 09:13:03:
Okay, What have you done?
"

Hahaha Grin
Not a daggon thing...I was riding to work this morning and she died on me and I had to push her home.
Remember when I broke down on my trip to CA and OI came to help? We thought it was the spark splug but it wasn't. Well it's acting the same way (sputtering like it has no gas, and yes the gas was turned on, but will push start sort of). What ended up being the "cure" at that point was pulling the carb, cleaning it and putting it back on. When we pulled it there were some teeny tiny metal shavings in there, and it wasn't possible to know if it was from when I was chopping stuff (and maybe didn't plug up all of the holes as well as I should have), or if the piston is rubbing...
All in all, I have no issue with fixing whatever the real problem may be...just curious about the possibilities of putting a stronger engine (or maybe something with more cylinders) in there.

I've pretty much fallen in love with the little "chopper" I've built, but wouldn't mind being able to go just a little faster for a little longer. And if I just buy a faster bike, it will end up looking the exact same so might as well explore the options of just throwing something else in there.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 04/18/17 at 09:51:47

A different engine is an engineering project that is not for the faint of heart. However, a big-bore and stroked engine is a much more attainable alternative to the stock engine. With a piston kit, cams and some porting you can get up to 50% more power - that results in 100% more enjoyment.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Reply #4 - 04/18/17 at 09:56:02

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 04/18/17 at 09:51:47:
A different engine is an engineering project that is not for the faint of heart. However, a big-bore and stroked engine is a much more attainable alternative to the stock engine. With a piston kit, cams and some porting you can get up to 50% more power - that results in 100% more enjoyment.

Go on...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/18/17 at 10:01:45

Yep...I'm with Gary.

Putting an alternate engine in there will take away a lot of the stuff that is so cool about this bike.  The Savage engine is very reliable after the cam chain, head plug and Raptor petcock issue is resolved.  (Sounds like you should clean your fuel tank and the hoses in addition to cleaning the carb.

Engine mods are pretty simple on this engine, and they can provide a bike that is far more capable in both speed and endurance - gearing changes that go along with the engine changes can make the bike a very nice bike at 70 mph  Unfortunately they don't come very cheaply - but it will be less than an engine transplant.

A Wiseco Piston, a performance camshaft and a bit of head porting.....and your "need for speed" will likely be satiated! Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Reply #6 - 04/18/17 at 10:16:00

Dave wrote on 04/18/17 at 10:01:45:
Yep...I'm with Gary.

Putting an alternate engine in there will take away a lot of the stuff that is so cool about this bike.  The Savage engine is very reliable after the cam chain, head plug and Raptor petcock issue is resolved.  (Sounds like you should clean your fuel tank and the hoses in addition to cleaning the carb.

Engine mods are pretty simple on this engine, and they can provide a bike that is far more capable in both speed and endurance - gearing changes that go along with the engine changes can make the bike a very nice bike at 70 mph.  Unfortunately they don't come very cheaply - but it will be less than an engine transplant.

A Wiseco Piston, a performance camshaft and a bit of head porting.....and your "need for speed" will likely be satiated! Wink

There is a brand new peanut tank on the bike and brand new fuel hoses, with a petcock that fits the tank.
See 70 mph isn't quite where I'd like to be. I'd like to be able to comfortably sit at 80 mph with more room to go if necessary...(highway riding and whatnot). Am I just wanting more than my little gal is capable of? Embarrassed

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 04/18/17 at 10:38:03

It comes down to how much money you want to throw at the bike. A comfortable all-day 80 mph is obtainable with a secondary gear change (which will require a conversion to chain drive) and engine mods. Of course, if ya gonna go faster you'll be wanting brakes that are up to the job. Oh, stable handling and a smooth ride are important at high speeds.

See, we just spent $3,000.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/18/17 at 10:46:37

I have a 95mm Wiseco, Stage 1 cam, ported head, Mikuni Carb, and I have a double Kawasaki pulley conversion.  I could do 75mph all day long, and I suppose a sustained 80 is doable - the bike gets to 80mph pretty fast and the engine is turning at 4,550 rpm with the 18" rear wheel and double pulley conversion.

If you did a 97mm Wiseco, Stage 3 cam, ported head, Mikuni carb, good exhaust system and the needing gearing change with the double Kawasaki pulley conversion or chain/sprocket conversion......you would most likely find what you are looking for.

And for the "more room is necessary"......I was able to find that I have bit of room to spare on my bike.

It went 101.1 mph @ 6,215 rpm.....if I fussed around with the gearing I could probably do a bit better.

The_Ton.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 04/18/17 at 10:53:44

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 04/18/17 at 10:38:03:
It comes down to how much money you want to throw at the bike. A comfortable all-day 80 mph is obtainable with a secondary gear change (which will require a conversion to chain drive) and engine mods. Of course, if ya gonna go faster you'll be wanting brakes that are up to the job. Oh, stable handling and a smooth ride are important at high speeds.

See, we just spent $3,000.

That does make the choice a bit tougher - as you can buy a gently used 80 mph sport touring motorcycle for that kind of money!

You would lose the thrill of showing folks what a big single can do however - I was on a group ride with a bunch of big V-Twins, and they were very surprised when they couldn't leave me behind!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/18/17 at 11:53:39

Rayven wrote on 04/18/17 at 09:44:41:
What ended up being the "cure" at that point was pulling the carb, cleaning it and putting it back on.  When we pulled it there were some teeny tiny metal shavings in there, and it wasn't possible to know if it was from when I was chopping stuff (and maybe didn't plug up all of the holes as well as I should have), or if the piston is rubbing...
---------------------------

I'm pretty sure it's not your piston that left those shavings behind.  It would be tall odder for any part of your motor to wind up in your carb.  You know, with things like the intake valve and the fact that the engine sucks air from the carb...

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/18/17 at 11:57:21

And I can't see throwing a ton of money at your bike unless you absolutely love it.   Maybe just do the pulleys and think about an 18" wheel and see what you think.   Otherwise, I'd look to see what else it out there.  Either way, you're going to want to fix your current problem.  It's probably something dumb.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/18/17 at 12:00:10

Dave wrote on 04/18/17 at 10:53:44:
Gary_in_NJ wrote on 04/18/17 at 10:38:03:
...See, we just spent $3,000.
-------------
That does make the choice a bit tougher - as you can buy a gently used 80 mph sport touring motorcycle for that kind of money!
--------------------------------

Somehow I don't get the feeling that the OP is digging the idea of a sport touring motorcycle !   Cheesy

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 04/18/17 at 12:09:06

Yeah.....I do understand that sometimes what is easy isn't always what is the best choice.

I feel the same way about crotch rockets - they are fun to ride....but I just don't like being seen on them as I don't want to be associated with the "young hooligan" attitude they have earned.

There are a lot affordable Japanese V-Twins that can be owned for $3,000 or less - they aren't light and nimble like the Savage.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 04/18/17 at 12:27:09

Rayven wrote on 04/18/17 at 08:48:49:
Just curious...has anyone tried or know anyone who has tried to put a different engine in the savage frame?

No, but I have seen a savage engine in a different frame.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:22:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.