Engine Replacement (Read 607 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Engine Replacement
Reply #30 - 04/21/17 at 07:33:12

A  "dirt cheap"H-D sounds like a nightmare to me ! how much work / money are you going to need to get it to run? Sorry but if you have a hard time keeping a savage running ,I wouldn't be looking at an old Harley,"out of the frying pan into the fire" I'm thinking!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 04/21/17 at 07:39:37

One of us Totally misread this thread.

I'm hoping it's you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 04/21/17 at 07:45:45

Rayven wrote on 04/19/17 at 09:30:26:
On a side note, I found a Harley chopper project for sale on Craigslist for dirt cheap

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #33 - 04/21/17 at 07:51:09

JOG sorry I didn't say dirt cheap,instead I mistakenly said $500,but she did say she and hubby were looking at buying an HD chopper project,dirt cheap,(basket case?).If they're looking at an old AMF or Ironhead HD that could be a nightmare.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 04/21/17 at 08:23:18

True, the wrong HD could be a financial DeZasster, but I don't think Raven is unable to keep the Savage running. I may have missed something, or, you thought the Savage was kikkin her ass, but the way I read it, she's just wanting more Giddyap for the Big Road..
I can't imagine her looking any cooler on anything else, but IF it's possible, I wanna see it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #35 - 04/25/17 at 08:30:24

JOG ,I don't know if the savage is "kickin her arse " but she did say it died and she had to push it home,(second brakedown on the road)so I assumed she's having trouble keeping the savage running .

IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 04/25/17 at 19:55:29

Rayven wrote on 04/18/17 at 10:16:00:
Dave wrote on 04/18/17 at 10:01:45:
Yep...I'm with Gary.

Putting an alternate engine in there will take away a lot of the stuff that is so cool about this bike.  The Savage engine is very reliable after the cam chain, head plug and Raptor petcock issue is resolved.  (Sounds like you should clean your fuel tank and the hoses in addition to cleaning the carb.

Engine mods are pretty simple on this engine, and they can provide a bike that is far more capable in both speed and endurance - gearing changes that go along with the engine changes can make the bike a very nice bike at 70 mph.  Unfortunately they don't come very cheaply - but it will be less than an engine transplant.

A Wiseco Piston, a performance camshaft and a bit of head porting.....and your "need for speed" will likely be satiated! Wink

There is a brand new peanut tank on the bike and brand new fuel hoses, with a petcock that fits the tank.
See 70 mph isn't quite where I'd like to be. I'd like to be able to comfortably sit at 80 mph with more room to go if necessary...(highway riding and whatnot). Am I just wanting more than my little gal is capable of? Embarrassed

Sounds to me like you would do well with a Sportster instead. Smiley

IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Reply #37 - 04/25/17 at 21:35:15

batman wrote on 04/25/17 at 08:30:24:
JOG ,I don't know if the savage is "kickin her arse " but she did say it died and she had to push it home,(second brakedown on the road)so I assumed she's having trouble keeping the savage running .

Overall issue is the carb. It was the the problem with both breakdowns. My rebuild kit is on the way. When she runs she runs like a champ. Once I get it situated and jetted correctly I doubt I'll have any issues. My bigger picture was definitely getting more spead out of her.

Never heard back from the HD guy on Craigslist. But I have seen some pretty gorgeous non HD 4 cylinder choppers! Leaves a lot of room for making some amazing custom pipes!

I probably just need to buckle down until the Savage is back in tip top shape and keep my head out of the chopper magazines for a while. I think my big issue is I LOVE building and wrenching as much as I love riding! Wink Wink

All I have left to do...is a lot...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 04/26/17 at 03:59:57

Rayven wrote on 04/25/17 at 21:35:15:
I think my big issue is I LOVE building and wrenching as much as I love riding! Wink Wink

Yep, it is an affliction and curse that some of us have - I probably spend more time in the garage than I do riding.

I am hoping to change that ratio a bit in the future....more riding and a bit less wrenching.

Still.....I would love to find a vintage motorcycle restoration project.  I thought I had a 1915 Excelsior "Big X" in my future - unfortunately that didn't work out.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #39 - 04/26/17 at 19:00:42

Wow Dave , your on your way to recovery , you admitted your addiction. I hope you never get better. Cause then I might feel alone. My wife understands. I enjoy every aspect , the hunt ,the ever changing design , the build and the ride ! It is a illness/obsession , the same blood flows in our veins. I will become a better builder with every build and have no plans on ever stopping. Someday we will tear up some twisties !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #40 - 04/27/17 at 08:49:22

Rayven wrote on 04/25/17 at 21:35:15:
batman wrote on 04/25/17 at 08:30:24:

Overall issue is the carb. It was the the problem with both breakdowns. My rebuild kit is on the way. When she runs she runs like a champ. Once I get it situated and jetted correctly I doubt I'll have any issues. My bigger picture was definitely getting more spead out of her.

Never heard back from the HD guy on Craigslist. But I have seen some pretty gorgeous non HD 4 cylinder choppers! Leaves a lot of room for making some amazing custom pipes!

I probably just need to buckle down until the Savage is back in tip top shape and keep my head out of the chopper magazines for a while. I think my big issue is I LOVE building and wrenching as much as I love riding! Wink Wink

When you take your carb apart for your rebuild, be sure that you check each and every tiny passageway in the carb body, and there are quite a few.  Get a fresh can of carb cleaner with the little red tube taped to the side of the can.  You will need it to blow through all of those tiny holes.  If possible, you will also need to use a compressor with the air gun assessory to blow out the holes after the carb cleaner is used. (be sure to have goggles on since spray can go everywhere at times).  If you find passageways that do not respond to these attempts (spray does not come out somewhere) then you need a carb cleaning tool ($15) to break up the crusty mess inside.  The passageways are so small it does not take much to clog them, and sometimes a grain of sand will migrate from one area to another, causing you all sorts of frustration.
The little brass tube that comes out of the carb body into the float bowl has 3 really tiny holes in it, one on the very end and one on each side, about 1/2" from the end.

This is from eBay:

CARBURETOR CARB JET CLEANING TOOL motorcycle atv Mikuni Honda cb750 cb900 cb550
$14.97
Buy It Now
Free shipping

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #41 - 04/27/17 at 11:33:00

You can by torch tip cleaning set  at Home Depot for $5.00

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #42 - 04/27/17 at 17:45:42

or you could do the job properly, dismantle the whole carb and take the bits down to your local fuel injection place and have it all ultrasonic cleaned.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #43 - 04/27/17 at 20:35:31

gizzo wrote on 04/27/17 at 17:45:42:
or you could do the job properly, dismantle the whole carb and take the bits down to your local fuel injection place and have it all ultrasonic cleaned.  

Cleaning, assembly & reinstall takes about 30 minutes.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #44 - 04/28/17 at 14:18:43

ok, don't have it  ultrasonically  cleaned. I don't care. Not everyone is as talented or thorough as you and u/s cleaning could give a good result for those people. .

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:17:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.