Send Topic Print
Engine Replacement (Read 607 times)
pam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ft. Mitchell, KY
Re: Engine Replacement
Reply #15 - 04/18/17 at 17:48:09

well as a female and not alot of mechanical exsperience with a motorcycle... here is my thought. what can be typed in print is great BUT BUT BUT .... TO hear Daves bike...if he is refering to the cafe bike...is the sound...
  You all know the ins and outs and numbers ...but to take this single bore engine and get that sound... to me ..NOTHING compares...
  IT has the most throaty and rumble that just changes the whole attitude of this bike...and i cant convey how much it sounds so ...amazing Smiley

IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #16 - 04/19/17 at 06:43:50

Dave wrote on 04/18/17 at 10:46:37:
I have a 95mm Wiseco, Stage 1 cam, ported head, Mikuni Carb, and I have a double Kawasaki pulley conversion.

Hi Dave, how much?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 04/19/17 at 07:00:47

Violent Rage:  What??????  That is in my Cafe' bike.....what would I do if I sold the engine out of it? Huh

Pam:  Thanks for the compliment....the sound of that engine makes me smile as well.  The bike really has a lot of personality and runs great!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Reply #18 - 04/19/17 at 08:28:05

Dave wrote on 04/19/17 at 07:00:47:
Violent Rage:  What??????  That is in my Cafe' bike.....what would I do if I sold the engine out of it? Huh

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

All I have left to do...is a lot...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 04/19/17 at 09:15:32

But seriously....on the cost.  Speed does cost money - how fast can you afford to go?

The Wiseco piston really helps - they run about $ 220 with shipping.  Lancer had some 94mm pistons and they are great as you can use a good stock cylinder - a bore for the 95/96/97mm pistons adds about $80 and needs to be done by a qualified shop as you don't want a cylinder that is too tight and will seize - or too loose and is worn out before you even install it.  The silicone carbide treatment on the cylinder is also a nice touch for a durable installation.  Lancer has complete piston/cylinder kits for $ 575.  While the head is off...it is time to have somebody clean up the ports for better flow.

The camshaft really compliments the Wiseco - but can also be used with a stock piston and will help.  Those kits run $ 299 from Lancer.

You can run the stock carb and air filter - they work OK with the improvements and can be changed out later.  I ran my engine with a bigger cam/piston and the stock carb and airbox for a year before I did the Cafe's switch - and it ran really good!

You can do the necessary gearing upgrade for $ 100 - $150....and you can use a chain conversion or a Kawasaki front pulley.

So.....the simple upgrades listed about get you close to $1,000 - and you haven't bought gaskets, sealer or paid any labor!  Another $200 for gaskets and seals (Versy tensioner and head plug) is likely  - and if you don't have competent mechanics as friends......that will most certainly add to the cost, as it is a time consuming project.

However - you will get an engine that will allow you to enjoy your bike a lot more (if you need more speed).   It is really cool to ride a big single that can "kick butt" and run with the big dogs!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 04/19/17 at 09:18:49

Speed does cost money - how fast can you afford to go?

I don't even need to consider the cost of parts and labor. It's the Emergency Room bill that I know would follow the Going Faster bill that helps me save money.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Reply #21 - 04/19/17 at 09:30:26

Dave wrote on 04/19/17 at 09:15:32:
But seriously....on the cost.  Speed does cost money - how fast can you afford to go?

The Wiseco piston really helps - they run about $ 220 with shipping.  Lancer had some 94mm pistons and they are great as you can use a good stock cylinder - a bore for the 95/96/97mm pistons adds about $80 and needs to be done by a qualified shop as you don't want a cylinder that is too tight and will seize - or too loose and is worn out before you even install it.  The silicone carbide treatment on the cylinder is also a nice touch for a durable installation.  Lancer has complete piston/cylinder kits for $ 575.  While the head is off...it is time to have somebody clean up the ports for better flow.

The camshaft really compliments the Wiseco - but can also be used with a stock piston and will help.  Those kits run $ 299 from Lancer.

You can run the stock carb and air filter - they work OK with the improvements and can be changed out later.  I ran my engine with a bigger cam/piston and the stock carb and airbox for a year before I did the Cafe's switch - and it ran really good!

You can do the necessary gearing upgrade for $ 100 - $150....and you can use a chain conversion or a Kawasaki front pulley.

So.....the simple upgrades listed about get you close to $1,000 - and you haven't bought gaskets, sealer or paid any labor!  Another $200 for gaskets and seals (Versy tensioner and head plug) is likely  - and if you don't have competent mechanics as friends......that will most certainly add to the cost, as it is a time consuming project.

However - you will get an engine that will allow you to enjoy your bike a lot more (if you need more speed).

Thanks for all that Dave. Gonna just do a carb rebuild kit this weekend and change the oil. I'll be sure to check out the cam chain tensioner while I'm in there too. Never checked it out, and don't know if the previous owner took care of that or not. I'll need to fix my speedometer so I can keep her at a lower speed and not push her too hard. Thinking about switching to a different air filter set up (cone or pancake) but we will see where the weekend takes us!

I think what will end up happening is if I can just get this bike to be my daily driver (top speed of 60 to work), then I will just get a bigger bike as my next chopper project.

I do love the the looks and questions I get about my little thumper chopper, but I'd rather spend the money on a more sensible project (speed wise). Plus it just gives me an excuse to get another bike  Wink

On a side note, I found a Harley chopper project for sale on Craigslist for dirt cheap, I sent the link to the husband thinking he would try to talk me out of it (he doesn't ride, but has been thinking about starting), instead he sent the owner a message and we may end up in a bidding war with each other for the same project  Grin Grin I thought that was pretty funny...

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 04/19/17 at 09:46:47

Rayven wrote on 04/19/17 at 09:30:26:
I found a Harley chopper project for sale on Craigslist for dirt cheap...
--------------------

That'a girl!  I knew you weren't buying no sport whatever bike. Smiley

I think what will end up happening is if I can just get this bike to be my daily driver (top speed of 60 to work), then I will just get a bigger bike as my next chopper project...

-----------------------

Good call.  Save the Harley Chopper for days you don't want to make it into work (because you'll be stranded on the side of the road somewhere, err...like you are now with the Savage chopper Sad ) lol

IP Logged
Rayven

Colorado
Reply #23 - 04/19/17 at 09:48:33

ohiomoto wrote on 04/19/17 at 09:46:47:
[b]I found a Harley chopper project for sale on Craigslist for dirt cheap...
--------------------

That'a girl!  I knew you weren't buying no sport whatever bike. Smiley

[b]I think what will end up happening is if I can just get this bike to be my daily driver (top speed of 60 to work), then I will just get a bigger bike as my next chopper project...
-----------------------

Good call.  Save the Harley Chopper for days you don't want to make it into work (because you'll be stranded on the side of the road somewhere, err...like you are now with the Savage chopper Sad ) lol

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 04/19/17 at 11:24:44

90% of the Harley Davidson motorcycles ever made are still on the Road!

(The other 10% made it home). Grin

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 04/19/17 at 12:36:34

I don't rip on Harley's too much...

About 20 years ago, I had a 71 Triumph that failed me one time during my ownership.  The master link fell off about 40 miles from home.  I had to ride pregnant dog on the back of my buddies 883 sportster.  He was about 5'10, 155 lbs.  I'm 6'3" and weighed about 225 back then.  

How embarrassing!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 04/19/17 at 13:05:45

We tend to "tease" folks about their Harley motorcycles......and I never miss a chance to tease a BMW rider about wearing a turtleneck that matches his bike....and don't get me started on the Goldwing riders and his/her matching outfits!  And yet.....I would ride any of those bikes and enjoy the ride.

As far as I am concerned the teasing is just for fun.....every bike has some good and some bad involved.  Most modern bikes are very reliable, and I can appreciate a cool motorcycle from any brand.  If you buy an old beat up bike - it doesn't matter whose name is on the side of the tank - you better be good at wrenching.

My biggest grip is the Noobs/squids on any bike - the folks that ride over their ability or in an unsafe manner.  And that can happen on a Harley, Suzuki, Ducati, Triumph.....any make.  

IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #27 - 04/21/17 at 00:09:23

Grin

That's what happens when you don't speak the same language!
I meant, how much you spent for boosting the Savage

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 04/21/17 at 04:07:16

Violent_Rage wrote on 04/21/17 at 00:09:23:

Grin

That's what happens when you don't speak the same language!
I meant, how much you spent for boosting the Savage

I do hate to create a total....as the amount is likely a bit scary.  My engine had a knock in it - so I replaced the crankshaft and balancer shaft bearings when I had the engine apart, along with all gaskets and seals.  I spent about $ 400 on gaskets/bearings/seals, $ 180 for the cylinder bore and silicone carbide treatment, $ 217 for the Wiseco, $299 for the cam, $399 for the carb, and I probably have another $100 in the air cleaner and the parts I used to make the muffler.  I did the head porting and engine labor myself.....so it appears I have $ 1,595 in the parts to build the engine.

For the gearing I bought a new Kawasaki front pulley that was about $85 and I machined it to fit - the used rear Kawasaki pulley was about $60 shipped - so my gearing change was another $145.

So...I have likely spent a bit under $ 2,000 for the parts to get my engine up to the current level.  It currently has a 95mm piston and a Stage 1 cam - if I wanted to get more HP I could install a 97mm piston and a Stage 3 cam....likely what would get me another 4HP that would only be used on those rare occasions I apply full throttle - and likely it is not a good investment as the bike runs really well as it is, and I anticipate it to last a very long time.

I suppose I could have purchased a new SV650, Royal Enfield  or a similar bike for what I have in the used Savage purchase, engine and Cafe' bike mods - but those bikes would not have the same appeal to me as my "one of a kind" Savage does.

« Last Edit: 04/21/17 at 06:30:53 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #29 - 04/21/17 at 06:38:37

Dave wrote on 04/21/17 at 04:07:16:
I do hate to create a total....as the amount is likely a bit scary.  My engine had a knock in it - so I replaced the crankshaft and balancer shaft bearings when I had the engine apart, along with all gaskets and seals.  I spent about $ 400 on gaskets/bearings/seals, $ 180 for the cylinder bore and silicone carbide treatment, $ 217 for the Wiseco, $299 for the cam, $399 for the carb, and I probably have another $100 in the air cleaner and the parts I used to make the muffler.  I did the head porting and engine labor myself.....so it appears I have $ 1,595 in the parts to build the engine.

For the gearing I bought a new Kawasaki front pulley that was about $85 and I machined it to fit - the used rear Kawasaki pulley was about $60 shipped - so my gearing change was another $145.

So...I have likely spent a bit under $ 2,000 for the parts to get my engine up to the current level.  It currently has a 95mm piston and a Stage 1 cam - if I wanted to get more HP I could install a 97mm piston and a Stage 3 cam....likely what would get me another 4HP that would only be used on those rare occasions I apply full throttle - and likely it is not a good investment as the bike runs really well as it is, and I anticipate it to last a very long time.

I understand why you don't like to create the total.
I have been planning the engine overhaul for years. It is 22 years old, it has lost power and it always loses oil and I would be sorry to do all that job without adding some HP.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:23:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.