My first handgun (Read 780 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
My first handgun
04/18/17 at 08:21:17

I figured I would throw this out to see what ya'll think. I am thinking of buying a handgun and have narrowed it down to 2 guns. The Phoenix Arms HP22A, a .22lr semi auto and the Taurus PT111 Millenium G2, a 9mm semi auto. Both are relatively inexpensive and both seem to have pretty good reviews online and both have an original purchaser lifetime warranty. I like the idea of the .22 because the ammo is cheap but then I like the idea of the 9mm because of its stopping power. Comments? Oh by  the way, I am a tight wad! Wink

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: My first handgun
Reply #1 - 04/18/17 at 08:46:24

Oh boy.. . this could be worse than an oil war.

This is for personal protection.  Stopping power is important.
9mm hollow point is generally considered to be the smallest caliber suited to that purpose.

Waiting to see what the rest of the peanut gallery says...  Grin

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 04/18/17 at 08:49:08

9mm is the best mix of "controllable and non-punishing" in a light auto pistol -- and modern expanding 115 grain ammo has "good enough stopping power" in a 9mm out of a short barrel.

You must practice with the gun constantly and ongoing to keep your ability to shoot it accurately -- you must build up muscle memory and practice to keep it current.

Women tend not to shoot a 9mm well as it has sharp recoil unless they practice, practice, practice.  

This applies to small framed men (like me) too.   My bones are small, anyway.

Both me and my daughter both tend to shoot a 40 cal Glock 22 better than a 9mm Glock 17.   Longer, slower recoil snap.  She inherited both of the Glocks and the high cap magazines when she got married.  

I suffer along with other stuff ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 04/18/17 at 08:51:28

I have a Taurus PT22 among a few others. The PT22 (22lr) is a good little "shake gun" to carry around the yard but nothing I would ever consider for self defense. I have a .380 as well that is a reasonable defense caliber but still not packing a punch if you ever needed to really stop someone aggressively coming at you. I have no experience with the PT111 but did look at them last year.  Nice little compact pistol.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 04/18/17 at 09:06:03

If you're new to handguns,.. I like a .22...
You can afford to practice a lot with a .22...

A hit with .22 is better than a miss with 9mm...
People may say they have no stopping power, but nobody wants to get hit with one... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 04/18/17 at 09:06:26

The two handguns you've mentioned are two completely different weapons.

A 9mm is a great self defense weapon, whereas the .22LR is a great range handgun. If the goal for this handgun is to learn basics and shoot at paper, then the .22LR is a great handgun. I have a Ruger SR22 and would strongly suggest that you add it to your list as it fires .22LR reliably - something that can not be said about all .22 based handguns.

If the goal is self defense, will this be used in the house only, or will it be a carry weapon? Does it need to be concealed or open carry? These are three different uses. A large frame 9mm such as a CZ, G17 or M9 are great weapons, but very large. Concealed 9's usually are sub-compact and hold a limited number of rounds. This makes changing magazines quickly an important part of your training.

I have about a dozen different 9's - I like 'em all and they all have their own special purpose. But if I had to pick just one, it would be the Walther PPQ.

There's my $0.02

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/18/17 at 09:26:52

For your first gun - buy the .22.  You need to shoot thousands of rounds through it.......it should become as familiar to you as a a tennis racket or ball glove.  You need to develop the muscle memory and skills required to shoot without thinking or aiming - you need to be able to point and shoot.....in an emergency there won't be time to use the sights.

Then later on you can decide what you want for a "defense" weapon....and decide if that is something you keep on your nightstand - or in your pocket (it makes difference what you will choose).

My neighbor says the absolute best "concealed carry" gun.......is the one you will carry with you all the time.  There is no reason to get a .45 if it is just too big to carry and you leave it at home.

I have a Ruger LCP that is a .380 and it fits in my back pocket......it may not have the stopping power of a larger gun - but I am a smallish person and I just can't conceal a larger gun.  I have an ex-law enforcement friend that always carries a big gun - he wears loose clothing and shirts that allow him to hide his cannon......I am just not willing to make that dress code shift to allow me to carry a big gun.

(The interweb never ceases to surprise and scare me.  After posting this reply to this thread.......the banner ads at the top of my screen begin to play NRA advertisements!) 

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/18/17 at 09:36:08

While I guess there is some benefit to using a .22 for range shooting and developing "memory muscle" and basics and such.

BUT, you need to practice with the gun you will be carrying .. more so.

You have to be able to have the "muscle memory" of what that thing is going to do with the recoil.  The .22 will not do that.
If you are practicing draw, double tap.. the .22 will not do that.  Wrong gun, wrong holster.

Another neat "toy" are those no bullet practice setups.  Like this: https://www.laser-ammo.com/laser-training
You don't get the recoil practice, but you are practicing with a weapon that is the same size and weight as your carry (it IS your carry weapon).  So, for draw and initial round placement, it will probably be a good training tool.

Oh.. I suppose I should say what I use.
Springfield XPS 9mm with extended clip.  And I carry it all the time.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 04/18/17 at 09:55:22

A  22 well placed between the eyes is what, a migraine?  Shocked

Not a shooter myself, but I think what Dave says makes a lot of sense to my virgin trigger finger  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 04/18/17 at 10:07:55

You'll put your eye out with that !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/18/17 at 10:12:44

Youzguyz:

I agree that you do need to practice with what you are going to be using - but even Formula 1 drivers likely started out on go-carts and worked their way up with lot and lots of practice.

Once you have become a "whiz" at shooting the .22 - learning to shoot a larger gun will be far easier.  My little .380 isn't fun to shoot as it is small and light and hard to hold onto - it is definitely not something you want to shoot or a regular basis......a 9mm will be worse if it isn't a large frame gun.  And I haven't priced 9mm ammo as I don't own one - but I would guess the stuff is a 10 times as expensive as the .22 is.

IP Logged
TestPro

Show up, shut up,
catch up!

Florida
Reply #11 - 04/18/17 at 10:24:53

.22 good start, 9mm good finish.

Most people don't stop to check the caliber when it's pointed at them.

Deterrence is the objective.

Cheers,

TestPro
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #12 - 04/18/17 at 10:38:29

Thanks for the input. I have seen that the .22lr ammo can be obtained at a cost of approximately .05/round on up. The 9mm seems to be available at around .16/round with steel casing (Tulammo) but apparently it has a steel core also which some ranges do not allow. 9mm with brass casing seem to start at around .22/round or so. So, basically the 9mm ammo is 4 to 5 times as expensive as the .22lr.

I am leaning towards the .22 as a fun plinker and maybe eventually getting a 9mm. It is just that this particular 9mm is on sale at a ridiculously low price ($199.00 + tax) at a local dealer.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 04/18/17 at 11:25:19

Springman:

Where do you plan on shooting?

If you have neighbors nearby - the .22 will make a lot less noise.  I had a young neighbor that used to shoot hundreds of rounds some evenings, and after a while it just blended in with the normal background noise.  I don't think the same would be true of a larger bore gun.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 04/18/17 at 11:35:29

A .22 handgun is less noisy then a 9mm, but much louder then a .22 rifle. It still requires hearing protection.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:18:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › My first handgun

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!