MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: My first handgun
Reply #75 - 05/11/17 at 17:07:04

CHL

In TN. its a "Carry-Permit" , no concealed necessary.

So , I'm guessing when I go to Texas I should , Conceal ?  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #76 - 05/11/17 at 22:24:11

I may be wrong but if you go to Texas you better leave it home ,I believe permits are only good it the state of issue .If you cross into another state ,you could be arrested for carrying an unregistered weapon and it may well be taken from you.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #77 - 05/12/17 at 02:29:19

batman wrote on 05/11/17 at 22:24:11:
I may be wrong but if you go to Texas you better leave it home ,I believe permits are only good it the state of issue .If you cross into another state ,you could be arrested for carrying an unregistered weapon and it may well be taken from you.

If he packs it in his luggage, unloaded, bullets packed elsewhere....so that it is not easily accessible - I believe it is not a "concealed weapon" but a gun in transit.  I used to shoot pistols in competition long before I had a permit - the gun and supplies were always locked in the trunk when I was traveling.

And......today is "Bring your Shotgun to Work Day" here at my office.  This is our annual Sporting Clays event.  We get to go to a range and shoot our shotgun 60 times at targets that come flying out of the woods.....and make black and blue marks on our shoulder/arm!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #78 - 05/12/17 at 06:25:27

Happy Shotgun day to you!

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
FL Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando/Eustis FL
Reply #79 - 05/12/17 at 06:43:54

batman wrote on 05/11/17 at 22:24:11:

It depends on what state a concealed carry permit is from.
Many states that allow CWL, CWP, CCL, CCP, CHL, CHP, etc have reciprocity agreements with other states.
My FL CWL is accepted in 36 other states.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #80 - 05/12/17 at 06:45:33

Quite a few states do recognise and honor carry permits from other states. I don't know what the situation is regarding Texas and Tennessee, If you Google "concealed carry reciprocity" one of the links that pops up will have a map that shows whats what. I'm pretty sure that you don't need any kind of permit to simply possess the handgun when you go to Texas. You simply may not be able legally carry it concealed.

I haven't looked at the map it for a long time though. My NY permit isn't good in many other states because NY does not extend any other state the same courtesy. In fact my NY permit isn't even valid in New York City. That Sh*t hole is a world all it's own.  

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #81 - 05/12/17 at 06:53:00

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

If I'm reading this correctly, a resident Tennessee carry permit is good in Texas.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #82 - 05/12/17 at 07:03:51

Yes...but Springman does not have a permit yet - the caution from Batman was because Springman will be traveling with a gun in his luggage, and he is not a permit holder in any state.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #83 - 05/12/17 at 07:19:34

I thought it was MMRanch that was asking about the permit. Anyway I'm pretty sure that there is no problem with Springman bringing his gun to Texas and going shooting where ever he going to do that. Unloaded, locked in a case in his duffle bag,saddlebag, whatever,to and from the range, is fine. He just can't load it up, stick it in his pocket, and tote it around when he's not shooting someplace that it's legal to do that. Public or private range, private property etc.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #84 - 05/12/17 at 07:26:46

Yep...sorry - we got two discussions going on at the same time.

Springman is going to be taking his new pistol (original subject of this thread) from TX to OK to shoot it for the first time.

springman wrote on 05/11/17 at 11:41:16:
I believe I probably won't shoot it until in Oklahoma at Lancer's.

And then MMRanch brough up the question of him using his permit from TN to TX.

MMRanch wrote on 05/11/17 at 17:07:04:
CHL

In TN. its a "Carry-Permit" , no concealed necessary.

So , I'm guessing when I go to Texas I should , Conceal ?  Huh

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #85 - 05/12/17 at 08:30:42

Texas to Oklahoma,not Tennessee to Texas. I even had the states  mixed up. Good thing no one's paying me for legal advice Tongue

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #86 - 05/12/17 at 14:12:04

I'm sure there are only a few states my Tn. permit is not good in (NY , Ill. , a few other "Blue states" , but the question is  ... :

Concealed or open ?     I usually go concealed just to be on the safe side ...  Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #87 - 05/12/17 at 16:18:33

I don't own a pistol so don't really study the laws concerning there use ,but if I did ,I surely be checking on interstate transporting,and there use on lands , other than private, in a different state.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
NHLS650
YaBB Newbies

Ridin' in the 603.

Northern New Hampshire
Reply #88 - 05/23/17 at 04:19:07

From the NRA/ILA page:

FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.

Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest. All travelers in areas with restrictive laws would be well advised to have copies of any applicable firearm licenses or permits, as well as copies or printouts from the relevant jurisdictions’ official publications or websites documenting pertinent provisions of law (including FOPA itself) or reciprocity information.  In the event of an unexpected or extended delay, travelers should make every effort not to handle any luggage containing firearms unnecessarily and to secure it in a location where they do not have ready access to it.

God Bless America.
  IP Logged
NHLS650
YaBB Newbies

Ridin' in the 603.

Northern New Hampshire
Reply #89 - 05/23/17 at 04:23:17

NHLS650 wrote on 05/23/17 at 04:19:07:
From the NRA/ILA page:

FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.

Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest. All travelers in areas with restrictive laws would be well advised to have copies of any applicable firearm licenses or permits, as well as copies or printouts from the relevant jurisdictions’ official publications or websites documenting pertinent provisions of law (including FOPA itself) or reciprocity information.  In the event of an unexpected or extended delay, travelers should make every effort not to handle any luggage containing firearms unnecessarily and to secure it in a location where they do not have ready access to it.

Until this year, the State of NH required a permit for concealed carry.
Now they do not.
I carry everyday.  Walther p99as, 9mm, appendix carry.

God Bless America.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:30:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › My first handgun

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.