Send Topic Print
My first handgun (Read 780 times)
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: My first handgun
Reply #30 - 04/19/17 at 07:12:21

MMRanch wrote on 04/18/17 at 19:45:18:
My carry gun is a North American Arms Black Widow , 2" 22 mag / w-30gr explosive tip ammo .   They will cut a 2L water jug completely in two at close range.  
It also fits in my pocket so easy I always have it handy --- sometimes even forget I have it , its so light and easy to carry.  
It also comes with a 22LR cylinder to play with.

Hmmmm.. never heard of explosive tip ammo before.  
I am not into guns for recreation, so I don't follow what is going on.

I shoot enough to keep my skills up, and I go to a range that doesn't get pissy about draw practice, double tap, rapid fire, etc.

While carrying my 9mm is not a problem, I might be interested in a .22 setup like that.  Need to do a bit of research.

Learn something new everyday.  Remembering it.. another story.  Cheesy

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #31 - 04/19/17 at 08:18:27

YouzGuyz :  Learn something new everyday.  Remembering it.. another story.  

Grin

I know that story TOO Well !   Roll Eyes

That link to the Winchester is one of the "Varmit" ammo

The Black-Widow model is under 9 oz.   The Mini Master model is 10.8 oz.

even out of the pistol Velocity is 1400 fps + and lightly constructed bullets makes for good explosions  Smiley

All that being said :
If I was going into a known bad situation --- I'd want my rifle !  Wink -

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #32 - 04/19/17 at 08:32:10

Thanks for the invite Lancer. Actually I heard we were going to do some plinking at your place when we all show up next month and I did not want to be the only one without  a plinker.

Thanks to all for all the input, it has been educational. And yes I think I will stay away from the flintlock style gun. I am hoping to be able to get more than one shot off every minute.

If that HP22A is still available this weekend I think I will purchase it along with some ammo.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #33 - 04/19/17 at 08:43:19

MMRanch wrote on 04/19/17 at 08:18:27:
YouzGuyz :  Learn something new everyday.  Remembering it.. another story.  

Grin

I know that story TOO Well !   Roll Eyes

That link to the Winchester is one of the "Varmit" ammo

The Black-Widow model is under 9 oz.   The Mini Master model is 10.8 oz.

even out of the pistol Velocity is 1400 fps + and lightly constructed bullets makes for good explosions  Smiley

All that being said :
If I was going into a known bad situation --- I'd want my rifle !  Wink -

For "in the home", there is the 12 gauge with 00 buckshot and deer slugs.
Messy, but effective.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 04/19/17 at 16:09:17

Tons of fun, either one. +1 on the range. Too many laws/rules have come to pass because of irresponsible shooters - i.e., road signs, neighbors barn, portable toilets, mail boxes, street lights, trees, neighbors pets, rival gangs - you get the idea. If the dummies keep it up, then law makers will shut us down. That said, my by far favorite is a S&W stainless steel .22 revolver "Kit Gun". I've had it since the '70s. It is flawlessly accurate and reliable. But, the best part? It will handle shorts, longs and LRs just fine, any make. Get a big box of 500 on sale, and have a blast. Semi autos are attractive, but some can be incredibly jammamatic. No fun. And even with a good one, so much power is lost cycling the action. Whatever you decide, tho, don't go cheap. There is some real junk out there to be had at a bargain. 20 years from now you won't miss the money, and you'll still have a honey.

IP Logged
FL Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando/Eustis FL
Reply #35 - 04/19/17 at 18:13:00

springman wrote on 04/19/17 at 08:32:10:
If that HP22A is still available this weekend I think I will purchase it along with some ammo.

For a cheap 22lr pistol, I would look for a S&W 22A.  They have been discontinued and replaced by the S&W 22 Victory. Dealers were discounting them to move them out but I think there are few left new. I bought a new one for $199 last year.

If you want the HP22A, don't pay too much. Buds has them for $120 cash price, free shipping. You will need to find a FFL for the transfer. Cost for transfer is up to the FFL, most are in the $20-$40 range so shop around. The FFL I use charges $20 for a transfer, that includes a background check phone call that is required here in FL that most dealers charge $5 for.
When you buy ammo for the first time, buy 1 box of as many brands/loads as you can. Some 22lr pistols will shoot anything, some are finicky and need a certain load to cycle. Don't buy a brick (500 rounds) of something the HP22A doesn't like.
Most of all, practice gun safety. Each time you go to the range, read/review the range rules until they become natural, where you adhere to them without thinking.

Buds Guns HP22ANB
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_21_1101/produ...

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #36 - 04/19/17 at 18:28:26

Explosive  ammo.

Explosive  means  the projectile,  Explodes, on impact.
Those,   ‘Exploding’, on impact rounds, are regulated.
     (Ya won’t find them at  mart-mart)

There are/is,  ammo.
Where a Hollow Point projectile,  ‘Expands  very rapidly’. Depending on the design, of the hollow point.
And some manufactures, fill the H.P. cavity with a powder,  (Many kinds), and it compresses when hit, then as velocity falls,  (in the target), it returns to it’s normal size, very rapidly. giving the illusion that it is, ‘exploding’.

If someone made, true,  ‘exploding rounds’, they would not be selling them to you, unless you had a, ‘class 3’, (think  fully auto firearms).
(Or they will get  ‘free’, lodging, for 10+ years, at a government facility)

Their are very, fragile bullets, that break apart, at the slightest resistance, (inside the target).  The most famous one was the, ‘Glaser Safety Slug’.  Which was a fragile, covering, with a gel and # 12 size pellets inside, which would NOT, penetrate sheet rock,  but in a soft target all it energy would be dumped.

The term, ‘Explosive’, is a  marketing ploy.  Yes, they do, make a, (what looks like), a explosion.  But it is not.

The sad part is, the, Anti-Gunners out their, will pick up on the term, ‘EXPLOSIVE’.
And say: “See, See, See, I Told you So”  !!!!

You want, something to, ‘explode’,   Get, exploding targets, or get some,  ’Tannerite’.
Don’t know of ANY, indoor range that will allow that, and  Most, ‘Club’, outdoor ranges  forbid it.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #37 - 04/19/17 at 18:50:15

Thanks again. A local Houston dealer has the HP22A for $115.00. He is not particularly close to where I live and that is why I am waiting until the weekend.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #38 - 04/19/17 at 18:54:22

Way back when it was still legal to shoot rats at the dump I would take one of the key chains made out of little metal balls, cut a ball off the chain and hold it in a .22 hollow point with some wax. What that load did to a rat was a sin.  Wink
 I wouldn't think you would get much penetration on a large target but I bet it would really make a mess where it hit.
  Never underestimate a .22 LR.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #39 - 04/21/17 at 11:28:48

I don't own a pistolla,in New York it's a pain just to get the permit , and it's only legal in this state so why bother ,you can take a long gun anywhere.federal law states a long gun (shotgun or rifle) must be 29 inches long overall with barrel lengths of 18" -shotgun 16'' -rifle. If you buy an old shotgun and cut it down you can have a formidable weapon,that 's quite portable and 50 state legal.If you keep the loads light it's the best home defense weapon as it won't carry through walls and injure your loved ones.carried in a back pack with slugs and shot it makes a good survival gun even in bear country.There are companies that sell barrel inserts so you can convert to most pistol rounds if you so choose.( a 22lr insert could provide camp meat /and less weight in ammo to carry)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
FL Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando/Eustis FL
Reply #40 - 04/23/17 at 15:23:49

There is an exception to a shotgun with less than a  29" overall and/or 18" barrel and the NFA $200 tax, 6-9 month wait.
The Mossberg 590 Shockwave. It is 26" overall with a 14" barrel.
Since is never had a shoulder stock installed, it is classified as a firearm, not a long gun or shotgun, so the 29"/18" NFA rule doesn't apply.
6 rounds of 12 ga that with the right technique can be fired one handed (but not recommended).

springman, did you get the HP22A?

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #41 - 04/23/17 at 16:50:05

I'm looking up the rules for a shotgun, and find the oal is 26'' not 29''. Are you sure?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #42 - 04/23/17 at 17:33:37

IT's been a long while since I read the rules but I think it's 29'but it maybe 26 (not sure ) with not permit or special rules,but I am sure the barrel lengths are 16 rifle 18 shotgun I'm not sure if the inserts would be legal as they may not be full length(16')I prefer to cut down a wooden stock and use a good pad cut down,as this allows you to still shoulder the gun for a better aim.If you chose a rifle ,use or make a butt plate that's longer and a bi -pod on the fore stock ,to steady the gun for longer shots.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
FL Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando/Eustis FL
Reply #43 - 04/23/17 at 19:12:21

badwolf wrote on 04/23/17 at 16:50:05:
I'm looking up the rules for a shotgun, and find the oal is 26'' not 29''. Are you sure?

I think it is 26" OAL for a shotgun.
The Mossberg Shockwave gets by with the 14" barrel because it's not classified as a shotgun. It's considered a firearm (not a long gun) so the shotgun rules don't apply.
A shotgun with a barrel shorter than 18" would require the NFA process, $200 for the NFA transfer tax stamp and a 6 month plus wait for the paperwork.

I bought one 2 weeks ago, my only shotgun, whoops, I mean firearm that shoots shot. I haven't shot it yet but I did see one at the gun range last month. 5+1 capacity, or more with Aguila mini shells.
https://www.aguilaammo.com/shotshell/

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #44 - 04/23/17 at 21:21:27

No, I did not get the gun this weekend. Dealer sells by appointment only and communicates by email only. He did not confirm our appointment and when I called the number it just said to send an email. The heck with him, I have found another local dealer that can get the gun for me (not in stock) for about $4.00 more than the first guy and the shop is closer to me.  Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:21:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › My first handgun

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.