My first handgun (Read 780 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: My first handgun
Reply #15 - 04/18/17 at 11:44:49

I would have to go to a range to shoot as I live in a neighborhood. I really do not know where else I might be able to shoot.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #16 - 04/18/17 at 12:21:23

I carry a Ruger .380 LCP which has a snappy recoil and is pretty small in my big mitts. Also have a Colt Woodsman .22 3rd series which is in such nice condition I don't shoot it much even though it's a ball to shoot.
 For a first gun I would go with a .22 just to learn how to shoot, for self defense go with a 9mm or .380 ACP, just make sure the gun fits your hand.
 If you have been shooting long guns and know what you are doing around fire arms then moving to a 9mm would be the way to go.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #17 - 04/18/17 at 12:24:13

Really , you live in Texas all that countryside , ask around has to be a place to shoot up some cans or targets

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #18 - 04/18/17 at 12:25:46

You are probably right Ruttly. I will ask around. Thanks.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #19 - 04/18/17 at 12:39:09

Stick with the .22 way cheaper to shoot = more fun

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #20 - 04/18/17 at 13:13:34

I personally would stay away from the Phoenix Arms pistol. It is in the same category as the Jennings, Raven, and Jimenez pistols (junk AKA Saturday night specials).

A .22 would be a good start for getting into pistol shooting. I would look into spending a little more and getting a Ruger Mk2/3 or SR22 or Walther P22.

I always start new shooters off with 22s no matter if it's rifles or pistols. It's better to get the basics down with something with little recoil.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #21 - 04/18/17 at 14:28:12

30 rounds of .22 Magnum should do the trick.
If the bullet doesn't stop them the noise and fire will drive them away.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/08/jeremy-s/gun-review-kel-tec-pmr-30/

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #22 - 04/18/17 at 15:10:42

And ALWAYS be sure of your back stop , what's catching the bullets , a .22 shot a the right angle can travel 1 1/2 miles !

They closed the gun range in Pacifica , CA cause a guy on the other side of the mountain/biga$$ hill found bullets all over his roof and more on his property from people shooting over the hill over 1 1/2 from the range lucky no one was hit or killed !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #23 - 04/18/17 at 19:28:04

Very first handgun.  a  .22lr.
 Now, choose  a  
A  Semi-Auto
Or a  Revolver.  (If Revolver)
     A Double Action, (DA)
     Or Single Action, (SA)

DA Revolver, the Cylinder swings out of the firearm, to load or un load
(Left side, as you point the firearm)
SA Revolver, the Cyl stays in the gun, and a, ‘gate’ opened on the back, and you, push a cartridge in to load, and push out, (rod is attached to the firearm) a rot to eject)   Think Cowboy style.
(Gate on the right side, behind the cyl)

Reason, for  First Firearm, a .22LR.
.22 Rounds cost, about  .06 - .10 each. Center fire,   .25 - 1.25 each.
Next,  ‘First’ Firearm.  You will  Learn how to shoot it.
You will Lean how to, ’squeeze’, the trigger.
You will learn, sight aliment.
You will learn  grip, shooting stance, faster and easier.

Price:  (new); Something,  ’Cheep’, is cheep, now, but in the future, if you will to sell or trade, it will  REALLY, be CHEEP !
 Because,  NO  ONE,  wants a  ‘used one’, because they  KNOW, they are a  POS.
Money to burn,  1,000 - 5,000,   but again, less on, sell/trade, because  much less of a  market.
Middle:  350 - 500,  (In a  GOOD  firearm, with  Re-Sale/Trade value)  is your best bet.
And odds are, that first, .22, you will Keep!
(Thus the higher price and faster marketability, of a used, ‘Good’, .22

Revolver, DA:   Ruger 101 in .22, or  S&W,  63  (a J  frame, (small)  or 617  (a  K  frame,  Med)  
NOT  the  S&W, 43, or 317. or  ANY,  Aluminum frame. They are JUST   TO   LIGHT, to be able to shoot/Learn with,  even in a  .22

Revolver, SA;  Ruger, Single Six.  (the rest are  junk, or  sky priced)

Semi-Auto;  S&W (SW22),  Browning (Buck Mark),  in the 300-500 range,
Ruger, same dollar range. However, better resale/trade value.
Ruger made,  Standard, MK1, MKII, MKIII, MKIV.
Stay away from the standard & MKI, hard and expensive to get clips for.
The MKII, is the second best,   The MKIII  is a  POS,
and the new MKIV, is the best one. (and it will take  MKIII clips)
The  Standard, MKI, MKII, are hard to take apart, the MKIII  is MUCH   WORSE,
the MKIV, is a  breeze.

Above in new, used, a whole different story.

Questions you need to ask yourself.
Budget:  (REAL  Budget)   Remember, buy cheep POS, don’t count on any return.
Buy  Super expensive,  Much longer time to find a buyer.
Middle, best.  Get re-sale/trade value.

Action:   Semi-Auto, Revolver, DA or SA.

Size / Barrel length/ Caliber.

Learn to Shoot, or  just have it in the drawer:

Self Defense, or  Learning:
Can be the same firearm.  As Bot said,  “Better to hit, with a  .22 than miss with a  9mm”.

You said you will be going to a range.
There will be  Many  people, that are Willing to help. Listen to them all, and try all the things.  However, do  NOT, depend on what they shoot, as to valuing their opinion.  
Someone and a new S-40, at 4-5T, and a  New Harley, at 15-25T. Their skill at  driving a  MC, is  NOT gauged, by, ‘what’ they drive.
Their skill, is by what they, do.

Consider, Two  MUSTS !!!!!!   Hearing  Protection,  15.00 +++++, and Eye  Protection, 5.00 ++++++
Also; A ‘case’,  for the gun. 10.00  +++++ Cleaning items,  15.00 ++++, extra clips, speed loaders.
Holster:    Holster,  DO NOT, Buy one new, DO NOT, buy one off the Net.
   (Until you know, exactly what you need, and why)
EVERY, gun shop. (LGS)  ‘Local Gun Shop’.  WILL, have a  BOX,  FULL  of them at  5 -25.
(They get them with a firearm trade, and give  little or NOTHING  for them)
Buy a used one that fits,  (and very, VERY, seldom, are they ‘really’ used)

This is JUST, the  Start of your quest.
Asking on a  Forum, ‘which one’, with out handling, shooting, etc.  Is  Basically worthless.

Find  your local LGS’s, go their, ask. hold, perhaps use, (if available).
BUT, do this test first:
Ask to see revolvers, and then ask;
“What is the difference between a  Single action and a Double Action and a Double Action only”
If you get a, ‘roll of the eyes of that salesperson.
Do not walk put of the store,   RUN OUT !
Either that person does NOT  know the difference, or they are Smart Azz’es, and think they are better than you.
     (The #1  Question, in a Gun Shop, about Revolvers is,  “Difference”.  Which when working behind the Counter is heard 100 +  times a day)

Gun Ranges:  Find them, go their, ask questions.

Net Forums:  Find them, (their are 100’s, and only 20-30 are well known)
Look at posts, see what information is their.
Find the best ones, (like this one on the LS650/S40 is), then use that valuable information.
      (Here’s a case, (on this Forum), ’Serowbot’ gives  Great  information on the MC’s,  yet on the, ’TT’,  he just does nonsense  drive by’s)   LOLOO

Books:  Their are  literally 1000’s of books out their on shooting.  Read  THEM !

Wish you  success, on your quest.  Shooting, IS, a fantastic  Sport !

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #24 - 04/18/17 at 19:45:18

SpringMan

My carry gun is a North American Arms Black Widow , 2" 22 mag / w-30gr explosive tip ammo .   They will cut a 2L water jug completely in two at close range.  
It also fits in my pocket so easy I always have it handy --- sometimes even forget I have it , its so light and easy to carry.  
It also comes with a 22LR cylinder to play with.
I also have a Phoenix Arms 22 but the NAA only weights 1/3 as much
I also have several 32ACP's to carry in the winter when "we all wear more layers".   The 32ACP does with a 71 gr projectile what a 380 does with a 90 gr. projectile but ya get one extra shot in the same size package.

Go with the taurus 22 , SR-22 , or the NAA combo ... its a no loose situation either way .

Like Dave said ... "If ya leave it home or in the car because its too big or heavy - Then ya might as well leave it in the store " .  Wink  

I prefer the 22LR and accuracy / over a larger gun you don't practice with.   For the year , I'm  9 kills out of 14 shots on hovering  bore-bees as of dark today .  Smiley    With the NAA Mini-Masters 4" , and 22LR Remington HP's .  
Ya can get 22LR shot/shell in 50 round boxes at co-op for about $8.oo and they are quiet enough to shot in town and the #12 shot don't go far either.   They kill rats in the barn without shooting through the tin on top -- unless your really close to the tin.  Roll Eyes

What ever ya get ... Pay extra if ya have to , to get the Lite version if there is one !

This is the Black-Widow  NAA w/laser

« Last Edit: 04/18/17 at 22:04:51 by MMRanch »  

target_tic_tac_toe.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #25 - 04/18/17 at 20:30:12

22 mag hollow point has the same hitting power of a 38spl ,without the exploding rounds. Cheap too.
Very good round to have in your pocket !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #26 - 04/18/17 at 20:42:46

CCI-22 Mag / 30 gr. explosive tip / Durhams had them in Feb. for $13.49 per 50 round box .    I bought 4 boxes  Wink

CCI also makes a LR that shots a 40 gr.HP @ 1480fps , but they are had to find right now.   They call them "Velocitors"
Also don't forget about the CCI Stingers ... I hit a running rabbit with one of them once and it blew off one of the hind quarters and gutted the rabbit at the same time .
And
How about John Hinkley Jr.   He took a RG-1.5" barrel revolver  22LR loaded with Quik-Shok ammo  .  In six shots he dropped two body guards , a press secretary , and one of the shots hit the car then fragmented into three pieces and one of those pieces hit President Regan in the ribs    and sent him to the  hospital.  All four men survived but it sure took the fight out of them.

Don't let anybody tell ya the 22LR is a joke of a gun .   Its kink-of  like those $20,000 Harley and Goldwing folks making fun of a Savage , out there where the rubber meets the road the Savage keeps up just fine .  Wink

Reminds me of a true (know the guy) story about a 22LR-round nose lead bullet .   So the guy is ridding his bicycle to work and two other fellers intercept him , grab his handle bars , tells him what a nice bike he has, and tells him "why doin't he get his a$$ off it" and give it to them.  So , he gives one of them a 22LR-round nose bullet from his little Jennings (cheep) auto , right in the gut .   The other one ran quick , the shot one says "You Shot Me" then he runs off too !

On cops show the other day a drunk tries to take the State Troopers gun away from the trooper (9mm)... the gun goes off and the drunk says "You didn't have to shoot me" --- the Trooper says "Well , how did you think it would end when you tried to take my gun ? " ...   Then , they both stood there and waited on the ambulance to arrive --- it was all on tape .

It ain't what you hit with as mush as it it "WHERE" you hit.   But it is nice to hit with more than enough !  Wink

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/winchester-varmint-hv-22-wmr-po...

« Last Edit: 04/18/17 at 22:11:15 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #27 - 04/19/17 at 02:46:53

Springman, avoid buying a flintlock pistol. when I attempted to use one the ball rolled out the barrel three times before the charge ignited. I'm unsure if the ball was in the barrel when the charge ignited. I had some success with a sort of revolver. I think I hit a target two foot square with two shots out of six at twenty odd feet. The revolver seemed large, the calibre small. I tried some sort of Glock, I think, but never hit anything. A quote from Ernest K Gann's book, Of Good And Evil, "the average gunman couldn't hit a barn door at twenty paces, but then there was the one who wasn't average, or just lucky" be careful.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 04/19/17 at 06:34:01

springman wrote on 04/18/17 at 12:25:46:
You are probably right Ruttly. I will ask around. Thanks.

I've got 70 acres outside of Henryetta OK to play on, with plenty of places to shoot.  Any day of the week you can hear someone shooting.  It's no big deal here.  I pull out a gun, or all of them, set up targets or something to shoot at and fire away.  My 270 and 45-70 are not allowed in most indoor ranges so I use my own range.  You are welcome to come up; let me know if you want to come up and play; stay a few days.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #29 - 04/19/17 at 06:43:48

I don't got alot of experience with guns. My uncle used to take me out on his mountain near Port Jervis to shoot targets with a .22 rifle. It was nice in that it had almost no kick to it.
Later on I started shooting skeet with friends who used .410 shot guns.
In the Navy I trained with the Remington 12 gauge and the Beretta M9.
I have to say that for my 1st pistol I found the 9mm quite easy to handle, load and shoot. I had great aim with it right off too.

It's good I don't own a pistol though because alot of pickup truck and subcompact road raging idiots would get their tires shot out.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:32:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › My first handgun

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.