Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bringing her out of a 5 year sleep.... (Read 156 times)
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Scranton, Pennsylvania
Bringing her out of a 5 year sleep....
04/15/17 at 05:07:31

Hi fellas,
Just got a 97 Suzuki Savage thats coming back from 5 years of storage.  I bought it off a guy who did the heavy lifting and got it running.   It was side swiped by the previous owner, and the right peg,, brake lever, grips and tank were damaged.  Tank dent was filled in and painted, new petcock, changed the brake fluid, oil, oil filter, air filter, new battery, all electric connections were wd'd and checked. I adjusted the belt (it was way too tight) and I still want to check the cam adjuster.  It needs new tires, but the existing ones will pass inspection.  Bike runs strong, starts right up.  Has an aftermarket exhaust, louder than I prefer....I'm one of those guys who likes a bike that sounds like a sewing machine  Wink.   The only issue at all is that it tends to give me one loud bang when I shut he motor off.  Lots of people here adjusted the idle mix screw to get rid of that.  I haven't done that yet.  Brakes are good.

What else gotta be done before I put we in regular service?  Just so u know, I'm 51 and had bikes all my life, this is my 6th.  I've always done my own service, just wondering if I missed any Savage specifics ....

2008 S40
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Bringing her out of a 5 year sleep....
Reply #1 - 04/15/17 at 06:38:01

I would dump the oil, and install Rotella T or T-6.  Unless you can prove the guy put new oil in that has at least 1,200 ppm of ZDDP.

The backfire on shutdown is normal, and with a loud exhaust the noise is much louder than with a stock exhaust.  The stock muffler and DYNA make more of a "poof" than a shotgun blast.  A lean idle mixture makes for a louder bang - but adjusting the idle mixture should be done to achieve a bike that runs well - not based on the behavior with the throttle closed or the ignition turned off.  The bang on shutdown occurs because you have turned off the ignition - but while the engine is spinning down to a stop it is still pulling air through the carb and picking up fuel....then that mixture is pumped into the hot exhaust pipe - where the temperature of the fuel mix eventually is sufficient to ignite the fuel/air mixture.  A "too high" idle speed pumps more fuel into the exhaust than a "normal" idle speed - but you should keep the idle speed at 1,100 rpm to provide adequate oil pressure when idling.

Also - don't start the bike and warm it up (or let it run) on the sidestand, as it is hard on the camshaft lobes.  Get your gear on,  get on the bike and pull it upright and fold the kickstand up, then start the bike and keep the idle speed up a bit with the throttle....then after 30 seconds of warm up gently ride off.  Keep the throttle settings lower until the engine has a chance to warm up, you can ride with the choke on for a few miles if you need to - but don't forget to push it in once the bike is running well.

Check the date code on your tires, and if the bike hasn't run in 5 years....the tires are not going to have as good of traction as they originally did.  If you only ride a few thousand miles a year, the Shinko 230 Tourmaster tires are a really good tire for the price.  Here is a link to the tires that fit the Savage - the 130-90 size is almost identical to the stock 140/80 size which only has the IRC tire choice - the 140/90 tire is an oversize option that helps with gearing and makes for a bit better stability as a result of the heavier mass and larger diameter.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1448021014  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 04/15/17 at 07:38:58

Well I thinkDave covered it all,but I'd just like to say if you like a quite muffler (as do I) the Hd Dyna ,is a nice way to go ,and offers a bit better performance.5 yr old tires are dangerous ,I prefer the 140/90/15 size ,they make the speedometer read true in most cases .(the stock 140/80/15 usually causes the speedo to read 60 mph when the bike is really doing 55mph)You said new petcock,stock? or did you use the more reliable Raptor?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/15/17 at 12:00:52

How many miles?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/15/17 at 17:16:20

13,500 Miles.  Yup, next on the list is a set of treads.  I am thinking Shinko 230 140-90-15.  After looking around a bit I see that there were quite a few posts about oil.  I used Valvoline VR-1 Racing oil 20-50.  It's not on the list, but it is made for tappet engines, and it's not listed as a wet clutch oil, it has very low moly, and high zddp.  I had it on the shelf, and really wanted to get that old oil out of the case.  I have some Mobil 1 Racing 4T on the way.  I am planning a quick oil change, after about 500-700 miles, just to really ungunk in there.  Thanks for all the tips!  I am not going to bother the idle mix screw for now.  I took it for a short spin today, and all I did was lower the idle before turning off the bike and was rewarded with a little pop instead of BANG, so maybe that's all I need to do.

100_1078.JPG

2008 S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/15/17 at 19:02:40

First thing I'd do is eyeball the chain.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 04/15/17 at 21:35:21

JOG ,is referring to the cam chain ,20 w50 oil should be OK for the use you intend ,but it will make the bike run hotter in warmer climates . What is your location.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 04/16/17 at 00:40:01

Why play with it? Do what is proven.
Rotella,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/16/17 at 03:50:32

I looked at the Valvoline site...they said a few things that could make the oil less desirable for the Savage.  This statement says the oil has less detergents, and additional additives for increased HP and reduced friction - the additives could be friction modifiers that are not good for the clutch.  If you contaminate the clutch plates with the friction modifiers.....sometimes they can be flushed out with a few oil changes - sometimes it requires taking the clutch apart and scrubbing and scuffing the plates to get the clutch to stop slipping.

"The Valvoline VR1 Racing and other racing oils not intended for passenger vehicles contain additional additives for increased horsepower and reduced friction on metal parts, provide extra wear protection for high compression/higher horsepower engines, and include fewer detergents than regular conventional motor oils."

The Mobil 1 4T appears to be suitable....it is listed as having enough ZDDP and it is safe for wet clutches.  It looks like it is twice the price of the Rotella T-6.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-g
uide.pdf

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/16/17 at 07:23:40

Change your oil. Run it, listen for chain noises, and, if nothing is scary, test the clutch for slip, then do the inspection, and be ready to install a Verslavy. If the clutch is slipping, clean it up.

IP Logged
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/16/17 at 16:35:08

You guys are he best!  Thanks for all the info.  I rode a bit today and did not feel any slip on the clutch.  Don't know how long it takes moly to pollute a clutch...  Where do you get a verslavy from?  I will order a gasket ND verslavy as soon as I can.  There is no nasty noise from the motor,. Nice and smooth.  I am in Northeast pa.  Hot and cold running weather  Grin.   Just though I would let you know,. Since I cleaned and oiled the airfilter,. I can tell she's a bit more lean.  More pop between gears.  No problem though.  It a bit louder than I like, but wife loves the growl and deep note of the pipe...   I'm a lucky guy, my wife likes a biker man.  She kept spurring me on to get one.  How could I refuse?  I will post soon how adjuster looks.

You know, I see why there is such a nice fan club,. There is something about this bike I really like!

2008 S40
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 04/16/17 at 16:45:01

George Palickar wrote on 04/16/17 at 16:35:08:
Where do you get a verslavy from?

link below right

WWW   IP Logged
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/18/17 at 18:03:21

OK, so far so good.  Ran about 60 miles.  No problem with the Valvoline VR1 Racing.  No clutch slip.   I can see that the oil is a bit dirty already, probably from the sludge in there while she sat.  As soon as I get the new oil filter, I will change it out and put in the Mobil 1.

After looking at some posts on the board, I decided to lift the front of the seat.  Go some 6x50mm bolts, and made a couple spacers.  Nice!  it does change the seating position in a positive way.  I also drilled out the seat nuts and put in 2 1/4" cotterless clevis pins I got for $6 at lowes.  It works but the seat is a bit hard to get in place, as the seat mount extension in the front actually makes the seat sit back a bit farther due to the angle of the bolts.  I think I will need to take 1/4" off the front seat tab to get it to set in easier.

Next mod will probably be the cam chain adjuster.  I am hoping to get a response on a dyna exhaust in the Marketplace.  The wife said my current Jardine pipe is a wee tad over loud and into annoying Smiley

So there will be a Jardine up on the Marketplace soon...

2008 S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:36:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bringing her out of a 5 year sleep....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.