Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Would it be wise to order a new clutch cable? (Read 196 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Would it be wise to order a new clutch cable?
Reply #15 - 04/17/17 at 08:31:22

If the cable is breaking where it's inserted into the slug that sits in the clutch lever, study exactly how it sits in the pocket. The slug is a fraction shorter than it really should be in order to assure that it naturally sits squarely in top and bottom.
I superglued a washer under mine to keep it held up and engaged in the upper cavity.
Note the condition of the puky little plastic bushing. It will tell you if it's been crooked.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #16 - 04/17/17 at 09:47:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/17/17 at 08:31:22:
If the cable is breaking where it's inserted into the slug that sits in the clutch lever, study exactly how it sits in the pocket. The slug is a fraction shorter than it really should be in order to assure that it naturally sits squarely in top and bottom.
I superglued a washer under mine to keep it held up and engaged in the upper cavity.
Note the condition of the puky little plastic bushing. It will tell you if it's been crooked.

What puky little plastic bushing you talking about?

#13 here?http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d32fc1f8700232d0b3d946/handle-lever

Something here?
http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d32fc1f8700232d0b3d945/handlebar

Sorry, just can't picture what you did with that washer either.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 04/17/17 at 10:06:49

The slug inserts from the bottom.
I supported it up in there,, washer must barely go in, glue holds it.
If you're not seeing indications it's been being pulled wrong to study and decide what to do,, then, IDK what to say.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #18 - 04/17/17 at 10:34:31

LANCER wrote on 04/17/17 at 08:13:32:
youzguyz wrote on 04/17/17 at 06:37:26:
LANCER wrote on 04/17/17 at 00:12:27:
HillSavage wrote on 04/14/17 at 14:38:46:
Toasted my clutch trying to go up a muddy dirt driveway and have since ordered a Barnett clutch kit, my question is: should I order a new clutch cable?  Last clutch had a fair amount of play in handle bar.  My bike is a '97 and has ~17k miles.

I have some clutch cables, OEM for Honda but are the correct size for the Savage.  If you want one just to have as a spare or to use now I will give you one just for the cost of shipping.
Let me know if you want one.

Wish I had known THAT.. got a replacement OEM cable on the way for Thumper.  Grin    Current cable is down to 3 strands..  Shocked
Eh.. wasn't too expensive, and you have been super kind to me already!  Cheesy

Yes, I lube my cables on occasion.  I lubed them while the engine was out and the clutch cable looked fine.  3000 mile later and it falls apart.
When the time comes the metal fatigue catches up with you.

Well, I could still send you one, and that way you could hook it up too and be able to DOUBLE CLUTCH IT !   Grin Grin Grin

I think I've got 2 or 3 of them, so you can have one if you want.

Sure, I'll take one.  I should keep a spare.
PM me on how much to ship and I'll get the money to you.

Thanks!!  Cheesy

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #19 - 04/17/17 at 10:37:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/17/17 at 10:06:49:
The slug inserts from the bottom.
I supported it up in there,, washer must barely go in, glue holds it.
If you're not seeing indications it's been being pulled wrong to study and decide what to do,, then, IDK what to say.

When I replace the cable I will try to figure out what you mean by "puky little plastic bushing" and eyeball the need for the washer.
Thanks.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 04/17/17 at 10:56:45

Was there no paper thin , grey, plastic sleeve on the slug?

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #21 - 04/17/17 at 11:09:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/17/17 at 10:56:45:
Was there no paper thin , grey, plastic sleeve on the slug?

I don't remember seeing one when I lubed the cable.  
I'll look for it when I take the old one out and check the new one when it comes in.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 04/17/17 at 16:08:43

youzguyz wrote on 04/17/17 at 10:34:31:
Toasted my clutch trying to go up a muddy dirt driveway and have since ordered a Barnett clutch kit, my question is: should I order a new clutch cable?  Last clutch had a fair amount of play in handle bar.  My bike is a '97 and has ~17k miles.

I have some clutch cables, OEM for Honda but are the correct size for the Savage.  If you want one just to have as a spare or to use now I will give you one just for the cost of shipping.

Wish I had known THAT.. got a replacement OEM cable on the way for Thumper.  Grin    Current cable is down to 3 strands..  Shocked

Yes, I lube my cables on occasion.  I lubed them while the engine was out and the clutch cable looked fine.  3000 mile later and it falls apart.

Well, I could still send you one, and that way you could hook it up too and be able to DOUBLE CLUTCH IT !   Grin Grin Grin

Thanks!!  Cheesy

Remind me of your address please and I will get the shipping cost.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #23 - 04/18/17 at 07:59:24

LANCER wrote on 04/17/17 at 16:08:43:

Thanks!!  Cheesy

Zip 78247   PM Sent

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #24 - 04/21/17 at 12:45:42

youzguyz wrote on 04/18/17 at 07:59:24:
LANCER wrote on 04/17/17 at 16:08:43:

Thanks!!  Cheesy

Zip 78247   PM Sent

Got it!!! Thanks!!!! especially because the place I ordered the OEM cable from sent it via a combo of UPS and USPS, and it ended up going back to the vendor..   Angry
The Honda cable DOES work (put it on this morning in 40 minutes), but it doesn't quite fit right.  
Just an FYI for the next person that needs to do this:  Who knows, you may be stuck somewhere with only a Honda dealer anywhere near!
The sleeve is too long (maybe 4 inches?) so I had to route it under the horn to take up the slack.
The wire cable is a bit too short.  Had to take off a couple of nuts from the bottom, put the remaining nut all the way at the sleeve, and choke up on the handle bar adjuster almost all the way to get any slack at all.
BUT, it DOES WORK!    Smiley  Very happy, very pleased.
Thanks again!   Cheesy

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:25:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Would it be wise to order a new clutch cable?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.