Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Would it be wise to order a new clutch cable? (Read 196 times)
HillSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Would it be wise to order a new clutch cable?
04/14/17 at 14:38:46

Toasted my clutch trying to go up a muddy dirt driveway and have since ordered a Barnett clutch kit, my question is: should I order a new clutch cable?  Last clutch had a fair amount of play in handle bar.  My bike is a '97 and has ~17k miles.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Would it be wise to order a new clutch cable?
Reply #1 - 04/14/17 at 14:55:59

As long as the ends are being pulled straight and square, should be fine.
A little oil would be good.
The lever needs to wiggle so the cable doesn't keep pressure on the clutch throw out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 04/14/17 at 19:25:22

Like JOG said, I'd oil the cable while you have it apart. You need to do that anyway.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/15/17 at 03:54:20

HillSavage wrote on 04/14/17 at 14:38:46:
 Last clutch had a fair amount of play in handle bar.

That is what the adjustment screws are for at the lever and bottom of the cables.  So you can dial in the proper amount of free play.

Lubing the cable is always a good idea - if the ends of the cable are not frayed and the cable works smoothly and the plastic covering is not torn up - there is no reason to replace the cable.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/15/17 at 06:03:17

I'm not a fan of lubing cables because it attracts dirt and eventually makes the cables worse than if you had left them dry.  Most of the time cables work fine for years without any maintenance if left alone.  In all the years I raced motocross, I never lubed my cables and I never had to replace on either.  

But if you want to lube, get a "dry" cable lube.   And, once you start down that path, you'll want to stay on it and keep up with the lube to keep the cables clean.  That's the real key here, keeping your cables clean.

On a similar note, it's been proven that a dry, but clean bicycle chain is actually more efficient than an chain that has been oil.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/15/17 at 06:10:18

dry chain more efficient than oiled chain

I can't find that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/15/17 at 06:31:12

I don't remember the exact study, it was in one of the bicycle magazines several years ago.  I think the point was clean (even when dry) was better than oil and dirt.  So I probably misstated the actual conclusion above.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #7 - 04/15/17 at 11:14:05

Clean & well oiled would seem to me to be the best!

Years ago, I purchased a 2-stroke motorcycle with autolube.  I wanted to do my own pre-mixing of the gas/oil mixture, so I took the pre-lube feed tube and pointed it at the chain!  Wow, what a difference - kept it perfectly clean & oiled!

BTW, I also disagree about lubing the cables.  I don't use dry, but I do use Marvel Mystery oil which has a good bit of cleaning ability as well as lubing.  Keeps cables from "clogging" up with crud!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
HillSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/15/17 at 13:16:57

Dave wrote on 04/15/17 at 03:54:20:

That is what the adjustment screws are for at the lever and bottom of the cables.  So you can dial in the proper amount of free play.

Lubing the cable is always a good idea - if the ends of the cable are not frayed and the cable works smoothly and the plastic covering is not torn up - there is no reason to replace the cable.

Any type in particular?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 04/16/17 at 03:37:53

I bought a "cable luber" - is seals around the upper end of the cable, and there is an aerosol can that attaches to it.  When you push the button the lube flushes out dirt.....then some of the solvent goes away and it leaves lube behind.  You can buy the kits at most motorcycle shops or online retailers.

I don't know if they make it anymore - but there used to be a product called Dri-Slide.  It was graphite lube and the solvent evaporated and left the graphite behind - so there was no oil to attract dirt (I ride on pavement so dirt really isn't much of a problem like it would be on a dirt bike).

A few of the members poke a small hole in the bottom of a zip lock bag, and push the upper cable end into the bag and tape the bag tightly to the cable....then fill it with light weight motor oil and fasten it to the mirror and leave it in place until oil begins to drip out the lower end.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 04/16/17 at 03:47:18

HillSavage wrote on 04/15/17 at 13:16:57:
Dave wrote on 04/15/17 at 03:54:20:

Any type in particular?

Any lubricant specifically designed for wire cables should be OK.   I use Cable Life with a cable lube tool.   The tool helps, but it still a messy messy job.
These products are penetrating lubricants, as it is important to lubricate ALL the strands, not just the the outside ones
http://machinerylubrication.com/Read/372/wire-rope-lubrication

If you search through the board, you can read about lubing cables by using  baggie with a hole cut in it and gear oil.

Each to their own..

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 04/17/17 at 00:12:27

Toasted my clutch trying to go up a muddy dirt driveway and have since ordered a Barnett clutch kit, my question is: should I order a new clutch cable?  Last clutch had a fair amount of play in handle bar.  My bike is a '97 and has ~17k miles.

I have some clutch cables, OEM for Honda but are the correct size for the Savage.  If you want one just to have as a spare or to use now I will give you one just for the cost of shipping.
Let me know if you want one.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 04/17/17 at 05:44:55

Here is a link for the Dri-Slide aerosol that could be applied using the cable lube tool.

https://www.drislide.com/products/drislide-multi-purpose-moly-lubricant

It is also a good idea to remove the clutch and brake lever - and clean out the old lubricant and apply new grease to the pivot point.  This really can help to make the lever move much smoother.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #13 - 04/17/17 at 06:37:26

LANCER wrote on 04/17/17 at 00:12:27:

I have some clutch cables, OEM for Honda but are the correct size for the Savage.  If you want one just to have as a spare or to use now I will give you one just for the cost of shipping.

Wish I had known THAT.. got a replacement OEM cable on the way for Thumper.  Grin    Current cable is down to 3 strands..  Shocked
Eh.. wasn't too expensive, and you have been super kind to me already!  Cheesy

Yes, I lube my cables on occasion.  I lubed them while the engine was out and the clutch cable looked fine.  3000 mile later and it falls apart.
When the time comes the metal fatigue catches up with you.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 04/17/17 at 08:13:32

youzguyz wrote on 04/17/17 at 06:37:26:
LANCER wrote on 04/17/17 at 00:12:27:

Wish I had known THAT.. got a replacement OEM cable on the way for Thumper.  Grin    Current cable is down to 3 strands..  Shocked
Eh.. wasn't too expensive, and you have been super kind to me already!  Cheesy

Yes, I lube my cables on occasion.  I lubed them while the engine was out and the clutch cable looked fine.  3000 mile later and it falls apart.
When the time comes the metal fatigue catches up with you.

Well, I could still send you one, and that way you could hook it up too and be able to DOUBLE CLUTCH IT !   Grin Grin Grin

I think I've got 2 or 3 of them, so you can have one if you want.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:23:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Would it be wise to order a new clutch cable?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.