Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
six point wrench for oil  + tire valve extension (Read 132 times)
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
six point wrench for oil  + tire valve extension
04/13/17 at 07:51:11

Yesterday I tried to remove the oil plug with a 12 point wrench, and realized I was only going to succeed in rounding the bolt head... so I headed to Sears and bought a six point combination wrench: UPC 099575428715. This morning I used it and the plug came out real easy.
Still had to tap the wrench with a mallet though.

I bought several tire valve extensions with a 90 degree bend for my tractors and S40. Turns out I have one left I am not using. If somebody on this forum needs one for their rear tire, just PM me your name and street address and I will mail it to you.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: six point wrench for oil  + tire valve extensi
Reply #1 - 04/13/17 at 08:35:06

When you put the oil drain plug back in...just make it snug.  Only used one hand.......do not brace your leg against the frame when pulling on the wrench!

Too many people (motorcycles and cars) tighten the drain plug too tight.  It does not have to be tight - it is only holding oil in......it does support or attach anything else.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #2 - 04/13/17 at 08:36:30

Thanks! Smiley

IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #3 - 04/13/17 at 11:12:14

JLC wrote on 04/13/17 at 07:51:11:
Yesterday I tried to remove the oil plug with a 12 point wrench, and realized I was only going to succeed in rounding the bolt head... so I headed to Sears and bought a six point combination wrench: UPC 099575428715. This morning I used it and the plug came out real easy.
Still had to tap the wrench with a mallet though.

I bought several tire valve extensions with a 90 degree bend for my tractors and S40. Turns out I have one left I am not using. If somebody on this forum needs one for their rear tire, just PM me your name and street address and I will mail it to you.

Where did you buy the valve extensions from?

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #4 - 04/13/17 at 11:30:13

I bought them online through Amazon Prime.  Zjskin(TM) 90 Degree Valve Stem Extension. Cheap at $1.97 each.

Look here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010APNNAS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie...

They were shipped from China and took at least two or three weeks to arrive. Happy with the product though.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/13/17 at 12:19:06

I can't ship one across town for that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #6 - 04/13/17 at 13:18:33

So forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't this affect the balance of the rear wheel? Or is this something you leave in the tool kit and only put on when you need to check/fill the tire?

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #7 - 04/13/17 at 15:08:15

Either I am lucky, or the small weight of the extension does not affect the balance: I rode well over 100 miles since I put the extension on and found no difference.

IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #8 - 04/13/17 at 15:09:01

You could easily take it off and leave it in the tool box. So far I left it on the bike.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #9 - 04/13/17 at 15:12:19

I have had the identical 90 degree valve on my S40 for the last 6000 miles and if it throws off the balance it is not enough to notice.

Kenny G

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 04/13/17 at 17:29:50

If your tire has been mounted right,with the dot on the sidewall(shows the lighter side of the tire) lined up with the valve stem ,I don't think you'd tell the difference in balance using the new 90 degree stem.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 04/13/17 at 19:47:59

Regarding 12-point sockets, I removed all of them from my tool box 10 years ago and have never missed them. I've yet to round a nut or bolt with 6-points. Even my cheap 6-point impact drivers from Harbor Freight have performed flawlessly.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #12 - 04/13/17 at 20:03:40

Yeah,  I am a slow learner.  Finally, at 68 years of age, it dawned on me I should do the same - chuck all my 12 point wrenches for new six point sets!

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #13 - 04/14/17 at 07:07:54

If you are worried about throwing your tire out of balance, just put a couple ounces of balancing beads in it. They constantly balance the tire as you ride. I have become a believer in them as now my tires wear dead even, no more bald spots while the rest of the tire is still good.

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #14 - 05/12/17 at 13:59:05

I'm looking for easier ways of checking my tire pressure and filling with air... So just to clarify... All you have to do is screw that extension onto an existing valve stem (the "normal" kind of stem that points toward the center of the wheel) and that's it?! You can now connect an air hose or pressure gauge from the side? If it's that easy... Shocked

I just want to make sure I'm reading that right.

And thanks for mentioning the 6-point wrenches. Funny that you brought it up with the tire valve extension... I have been wrestling with those exact same issues too. Just ordered my Craftsmen 6-point metric combo wrench set for $70. Can't wait until it arrives.

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 23:34:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › six point wrench for oil  + tire valve extension

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.