Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
HD Drag Bars: Small Change, Big Difference. (Read 269 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
HD Drag Bars: Small Change, Big Difference.
04/12/17 at 00:58:01

A couple of days ago, I swapped out my stock drag bars for some '29" HD Drag Bars' and some new grips. The bars are a little wider and a little straighter than my stock bars.

The rotator cuff in both my shoulders is a little dodgy and I had a feeling they were putting pressure on the ol' shoulders ... and I always felt they were a bit narrow anyway.

I found these bars at a bike accessories shop, with a HD section down the back. I think they're a generic type of thing. Man, they make a big difference. My shoulders open up and they pull me forward on the seat a bit too ... that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. The difference for slow riding and slow cornering is just terrific ... more leverage.

I didn't have to adjust any cables or wiring. The straighter style probably offset the extra length. Also, my mirrors are now further apart which makes a big improvement too!

I've only had 'em on for a couple of days so still getting used to them but so far, so good  Smiley

Here's a comparison shot:

Drag_Bar_Comparison_-_S40__HD_2.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Re: HD Drag Bars: Small Change, Big Difference.
Reply #1 - 04/12/17 at 01:00:20

Here are the new bars on the bike ... the wide angle lens on the phone camera probably makes them look wider than they actually are.

Drag_Bars_-_Riders_View_2.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #2 - 04/12/17 at 05:12:37

Looks good.

I rotated my bar up a little more yesterday and readjusted mirrors.
Looking forward to trying it out today

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #3 - 04/12/17 at 09:58:32

Thanks  Smiley

I'll probably be rotating mine a bit back and forth after a few rides until I find just the right spot too  Smiley

Papa Bear wrote on 04/12/17 at 05:12:37:
Looks good.

I rotated my bar up a little more yesterday and readjusted mirrors.
Looking forward to trying it out today

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 04/12/17 at 14:40:22

I ran very similar bars for many years and really liked them.
The riding position felt very comfortable and natural after just a few rides.
I found the slight forward lean to be pretty comfortable in slow trafffic and very comfortable at 50+.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #5 - 04/12/17 at 14:42:33

Thanks for the heads up  Smiley

LANCER wrote on 04/12/17 at 14:40:22:
I ran very similar bars for many years and really liked them.
The riding position felt very comfortable and natural after just a few rides.
I found the slight forward lean to be pretty comfortable in slow trafffic and very comfortable at 50+.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 04/12/17 at 21:32:25

IslandRoad

I put stock Sportster Bars on my S-40 , they are wider also and WoW ! the handling got way easier !   It was going from 27" to 31" --- only 4" but what a difference !   Shocked

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #7 - 04/12/17 at 22:21:27

It's amazing isn't it! I find the handling much more natural ... just because of a couple of inches!

And the difference in the view in the mirrors is terrific  Smiley

MMRanch wrote on 04/12/17 at 21:32:25:
IslandRoad

I put stock Sportster Bars on my S-40 , they are wider also and WoW ! the handling got way easier !   It was going from 27" to 31" --- only 4" but what a difference !   Shocked

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #8 - 04/12/17 at 22:25:16

I've only had a couple of small rides but I reckon the different riding position will help the pain I've had in my tailbone, from the seat.

I'm heading off on a 4 hour trip tomorrow, to a retro bike show (non-competitive track day for pre-70s, pre-80s, and pre-90s bikes) So I'll certainly know by the end of the day.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/13/17 at 07:28:50

If you have the low risers you can get a similar set up with a set of Superbars.  They are wide with a low rise and little set back. Probably a tad lower and slightly more forward than your set up.   

I loved them when my LS650 was still stock.  Huge improvement over the drag bars and taller risers I had before.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #10 - 04/13/17 at 13:36:36

My next move might be to some lower risers to drop the HD  bar a bit. Sounds like it'll create a similar position to what you describe.

I may even get a set of forward controls down the track  Smiley

Riding today. Can't wait to give them a good run through the hills!

ohiomoto wrote on 04/13/17 at 07:28:50:
If you have the low risers you can get a similar set up with a set of Superbars.  They are wide with a low rise and little set back. Probably a tad lower and slightly more forward than your set up.   

I loved them when my LS650 was still stock.  Huge improvement over the drag bars and taller risers I had before.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #11 - 04/13/17 at 15:10:15

Road,

I have SuperBars on my Buell and I love them and they are quite inexpensive. If I get a burst of ambition I am going to put SuperBars on my S40.

Incidentally SuprtBars are available in both 7/8" & 1".

Kenny G Undecided

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 04/13/17 at 15:13:58

emgo makes a superbar, chrome or black... between $20 and 25.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #13 - 04/14/17 at 19:23:53

I put a set of clubman bars on my '02 years ago. couldn't stand the stock buckhorns the bike came with. The clubman bars are 31 inches wide and look a lot like the ones that Island installed but have a 3 inch rise. Looks like you picked a nice set of bars.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #14 - 04/15/17 at 23:44:49

Well, I've ridden about 12 hours over the last three days; twisties through the forest and open highway. And, these new bars are the "duck's guts". They've changed the ergonomics completely, for the better.

My shoulders are so much better and my tailbone is getting much needed relief. And the handling is awesome. The 'work' has shifted from my shoulders (deltoid muscles) to my upper back (trapezoid muscles), which is where it should be, to me.

I found myself resting my heels on the pegs, which got the weight distribution just right, at last.

So, my next move is to move the foot controls forward a tad, and then maybe make up some risers which are a couple of inches lower. That riding position works well against the wind on the freeway, and is very comfortable for winding roads. Also, bumps in the road no longer make me grunt. I just bounce on the seat a little bit.

I was going to do the bars and risers at the same time but the guy at the bike shop advised me to do one step at a time ... probably some sage advice!

I got to just enjoy the ride (with the carb tuning behind me). The bike was purring on the freeway, and gliding through the forest roads like it was on rails. My girlfriend was following on her Ninja, doing her own thing. And we saw a great retro-bike exhibition while we were away.

"No-one ever says 'are we there yet' on a bike".

I've loved the S40/Savage since I first sat on it. But always had the sense something wasn't quite right ... But I believed in the bike. The change in ergonomics over the last couple days has been a revelation, and sealed the deal!

I bought it as a learner bike, but now, I'd rather put money into mods over time, instead of 'upgrading'.

Aaaand, I had one of those thoroughly enjoyable moments when a stranger asks "So, is she a 400?"

A fun weekend so far   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:27:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › HD Drag Bars: Small Change, Big Difference.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.