Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cranks, backfires, no start (Read 68 times)
czwij
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

cranks, backfires, no start
04/11/17 at 02:02:52

Hi one and all,
funny thing happened last april. started the bike for warm up. idled a few minutes at 1000rpm, then dies. wouldn't restart, just backfires through the exhaust. left in garage for a year... now i charged battery , fresh gas sprayed into carb throat, just to get it running for a sec before i put the tank back on. still backfires and does not start after cranking. my question is; is it possible that the timing chain has jumped a tooth? i cranked the engine to TDC and it looks ok. while there i set the valves as per specs - .004 and it didn't seem like it was out of time - valves closed at tdc. both sides have right play. what else could it be? thanks in advance...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: cranks, backfires, no start
Reply #1 - 04/11/17 at 03:42:05

No....the engine can't jump a tooth and change timing.

I would put in a new spark plug......you might have fouled the plug by letting the bike idle a few minutes - did you have the choke on?

It is best to get all your riding gear on, get on the bike, pull it upright, pull up the kickstand.....then start the bike.  Then within a minute you should be pulling in the clutch and getting under way.  If you need to leave the choke on for a block or two.....that is fine - but remember to turn it off as quickly as possible.   Ride at low throttle settings until the bike is warm.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
czwij
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/11/17 at 05:20:56

sigh of relief sir, thank you. so it's the plug, which i pick up today....
will keep informed...

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/11/17 at 06:14:24

Most of the time backfires come from lean conditions like running out of gas.  (Have you ever noticed the backfiring right as your bike runs out of gas right before needing to switch to reserve?)    

Sounds like your's might be starving for fuel.  Do you have a stock petcock in the bike?  Have you checked to make sure you have fuel flowing from the tank?  It's also possible that you float and needle are stuck closed and you simply burned up whatever fuel was sitting in the carb.  These are the kinds of problems you can get when a bike sits for an extended period of time.

IP Logged
czwij
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/11/17 at 06:21:15

tanks not on when i trouble shoot. it's not due to lean nor starved gas. i just need it to run for a few seconds, then i know it will run. it won't run at all, just backfires. if the timing can't be out, then it has to be the plug or ignition. thanks anyway. have the raptor on it for the last 3 years. good point on sticking needle. will check that too.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #5 - 04/11/17 at 06:43:18

You have probably used up the fuel in the float bowl, install the tank and turn the gas on and it should run.

Kenny G Undecided

IP Logged
czwij
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/11/17 at 07:45:46

tank is off the bike. i have sprayed fuel directly into the carb. it should run for a few seconds before it dies out. it won't. i wrote primarily to find out if it could be a valve timing issue. apparently it's not. compression ok, spark there and direct fuel. it should run but doesn't...so has to be an ignition problem.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 04/11/17 at 09:06:06

Spraying fuel into the carb isn't going to fire the motor more than once or twice ,after that the mix goes to lean to fire normally,and  raw gas is pumped into the hot exhaust pipe ,lights off and causes "backfire" (afterfire) out the tailpipe. PUT THE GAS TANK BACK ON.When you set your valves did you rotate  the motor to TDC in the same direction the wheels turn?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:34:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cranks, backfires, no start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.