Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Benefits of long rides? (Read 180 times)
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Benefits of long rides?
04/09/17 at 20:04:51

Just a quickie here.
Most of my riding is short hops around town (I know, terrible for the cam) - usually no more than 5 miles per journey, often 2-3, and usually no faster than 40-45. I'm vaguely aware that some engines/vehicles need a longer run from time to time (like the family diesel car, which gets its filter clogged if it doesn't get a chance to warm up fully every once in a while).

So my query is - does a similar logic apply to our thumpy little bikes? I could envisage, for example, gunk building up in places which would get cleared out with a run that gets the engine running at full operating temp for half an hour, or something like that. I doubt that the oil in my bike gets fully up to temp more than once a week with my typical usage pattern.

2012 (orange) • Dyna muffler/Oldfeller air filter • 152.5/52.5, ~2/3 spacer removed • Raptor petcock; Progressive 12" shocks.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Benefits of long rides?
Reply #1 - 04/09/17 at 20:20:03

It's better to get to operating temp to burn off any condensation in the oil, etc. Most wear occurs during startup so a warm engine is a happy engine.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 04/09/17 at 21:55:15

I believe the oil in our air cooled motors warns faster than a car, a car's oil takes about 30 min. to come to temperature ,the water temp comes up much faster.It's just a good idea not to ride hard for say,the first 5miles. But longer rides are better for cam chain life ,recharging your battery, and clearing the oil of moisture .If your rides are only a couple of miles you might plan once a week to "take the long way home".

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #3 - 04/10/17 at 06:33:21

My father always used to tell me a good long drive on the highway once in awhile is good for burning the carbon accumulation off of the pistons.
Any truth in this?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/10/17 at 06:46:32

philthymike wrote on 04/10/17 at 06:33:21:
My father always used to tell me a good long drive on the highway once in awhile is good for burning the carbon accumulation off of the pistons.
Any truth in this?

I am sure there is less carbon in an engine that is driven for long periods than there is one that goes on short trips - however throttle use/speed also has an effect.  If you are idling along at low throttle settings all the time - the internal parts of the engine are not being exposed to the larger thermal loads that help to burn off the carbon.

I once used a company car that was normally driven by a fellow that must have never pushed the accelerator down - it was a Ford LTD with a V8.....and he apparently drove the car in a very calm manner.  I was on a freeway ramp and needed to get up to speed to merge - so I floored it.......and the darn thing started making funny sounds as the carbon started coming loose from the engine and exhaust system.  I could see the black "dust" cloud behind the car from all the crap coming out of the exhaust.  I used the car for the entire afternoon, and when I gave the car back to him.....it was all cleaned out and the car no longer made weird sounds when you pushed the accelerator down! Smiley    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/10/17 at 09:44:11

My first car, a hand me down from Gramma, because dad bought her a better car, ran a whopping eighty MPH. After I took it out at about five A.M.every Saturday for a few months it was bumping above 115.
1962 four door Impala / 283/ Powerglide.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 04/10/17 at 18:52:34

My first Mustang (I've had 5!) was like that. It was so full of carbon that it wouldn't top 80 mph. I got it cleaned out "the Dave way"  Grin and it ran fine afterwards. Well...until I blew a cylinder head gasket!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 04/10/17 at 19:48:31

Run a can of Seafoam thru it. Add it to fuel , fill it up , keep it at freeway speed for awhile. If it's real bad put some in a spray bottle remove air filter and spray into carb while running engine at elevated rpm ! It's going to make it smoke but that all the crap coming out. I like to do both ways.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 04/11/17 at 04:38:56

Kris01 wrote on 04/10/17 at 18:52:34:
My first Mustang (I've had 5!) was like that. It was so full of carbon that it wouldn't top 80 mph. I got it cleaned out "the Dave way"  Grin and it ran fine afterwards. Well...until I blew a cylinder head gasket!

That's what we called a "wog tune". works well on old italian chaff that's treated too gently.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 04/11/17 at 17:58:18

Ruttly wrote on 04/10/17 at 19:48:31:
It's going to make it smoke but that all the crap coming out. I like to do both ways.

Nah, that's just the kerosene burning off.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #10 - 04/12/17 at 07:46:48

After reading the subject I thought this was about the mental benefits of going on a long ride.

IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #11 - 04/12/17 at 12:48:31

BSTON - Obviously there's that, although there's only one road near me with any decent curves (which, obviously, by now I know incredibly well...), and even that one only has, maybe, four good bends. Some really pleasant scenery round here though.

Thanks, all.

2012 (orange) • Dyna muffler/Oldfeller air filter • 152.5/52.5, ~2/3 spacer removed • Raptor petcock; Progressive 12" shocks.
  IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #12 - 04/12/17 at 13:43:55

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 04/12/17 at 20:59:25

Alex,A wise man once said "go west young man" that's the direction opposite the beach,Iknow there's hills in NC.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #14 - 04/13/17 at 06:28:15

That country route is nice for some good scenery, although the last leg down Guess Road is nasty - tend to get hemmed in by dozens of pickups and SUVs down Guess Road! I've been round there a few times.

Batman - Oh, I know there are some inspiring roads out to the west. I'll have to head out there when I've got a few free days to string together.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/02/24 at 14:19:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Benefits of long rides?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.