Trick Speedo (Read 251 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Trick Speedo
Reply #15 - 04/09/17 at 18:36:32

The fact that the motor only had 1/2 qt. of oil in it when you bought it might go a long way toward explaining the advanced wear of the chain,I would be more worried about  what it may have done in the area of the cam and valve train.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
CaptHowdy

Old Skool

South Louisiana
Reply #16 - 04/22/17 at 16:03:25

Today, Verslavy chain tensioner fitted. Only way to go in my opinion.

Engine hard starting, no power. Replaced needle and needle jet. Starts easier now, but still not enough power to lift the front wheel off the ground in low gear.

Today is the first day I've ever ridden this particular motorcycle. Maybe I expected too much, like some low end grunt. Seems like the engine catches a flat spot when I give it full throttle, but no popping or backfiring--just no surge of Savage power.

I removed the flexible tube between the air box and the carburetor intake so I could get a look at the carburetor slide movement--looks okay.

Motorcycle hasn't run in six years, but she's singing like a robin on a June morning now.

'00 Suzuki LS650
'97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
'89 HD FXD
'15 BMW K1600GTL
'03 Honda GL1800
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 04/22/17 at 16:58:41

This bike won't lift the front wheel off the ground for a lot of reasons.  It is in a pretty mild state of tune, it has a low center of gravity and you have a lot of weight up front...including your feet and legs on the forward pegs.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #18 - 04/23/17 at 08:45:07

Wheelies ! really! that may be why the cam chain got so stretched by the PO ,it's not a ninja! You need to treat the old gal with a bit more respect.

IP Logged
CaptHowdy

Old Skool

South Louisiana
Reply #19 - 04/24/17 at 14:30:32

I'm pretty sure the PO (every bit a lady) had no idea about scheduled maintenance. When she gave me the motorcycle, the crankcase barely had any oil in it and the piston was stuck. And, this is a motorcycle with less than 9,500 miles on the clock.

I've read posts (with some skepticism) of stock S-40's outrunning Sportsters and zip bikes between stoplights and I'm disappointed that I'm not enjoying similar thrills on the Mighty Savage. She's up and running now, just not as strong as I expected.

'00 Suzuki LS650
'97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
'89 HD FXD
'15 BMW K1600GTL
'03 Honda GL1800
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #20 - 04/24/17 at 14:55:12

CP much depends on how you ride, this motor reaches peak torque at around 3500 rpm ,if your going to WOT an then dumping the clutch ,your way past that.You have a stock bike ,if you want it to run better you need to  change the muffler and tune the fuel screw and do some carb tuning . You said the rear brake is frozen ,is it dragging? Have you adjusted the valves?have you greased the wheel bearing, adjusted the drive belt tension ? I think maybe you need to go through this bike before you start red light racing.

IP Logged
CaptHowdy

Old Skool

South Louisiana
Reply #21 - 04/24/17 at 15:05:40

Could definitely use some more carb tuning, but the engine starts easy, doesn't smoke, pop or backfire. Just has a big flat spot when I turn up the wick. I've got two NOS dyna glide mufflers in my garage that aren't doing anything. Turns out the rear brake pedal was froze, not the brake drum. I put the motorcycle on a lift and the rear wheel spins freely. Just have to get used to starting with the clutch lever pulled and the kickstand up.

'00 Suzuki LS650
'97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
'89 HD FXD
'15 BMW K1600GTL
'03 Honda GL1800
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 04/24/17 at 15:42:26

The flat spot usually means you need to do the spacer (washer ) mod to raise the needle a bit .I'd try 2 -#4 steel washers if your near sea level 3 washers if your above 1000ft. or you can sand the white plastic stock washer and reinsert. the screws are J.I.S. NOT PHLLLIPSHEAD AND WILL STRIP EASY BEING BRASS! be careful .

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:22:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trick Speedo

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.