Send Topic Print
Not the same oil leak (Read 85 times)
natesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Not the same oil leak
04/07/17 at 17:10:50

Okay i already know about the infamous oil leak. Already went through that headache. But while I had the tank off I started looking around and cleaning up when I noticed this bolt had a little oil on it. So I went to tighten it down and the bolt just spun. So I take it out and the bolt is fine but all the threads where it screwed in were still on the bolt  Shocked. And now it's leaking really bad and I dont know what to do without taking the heads off. Or if even taking the heads off ill be able to fix it. Loc tite? Jb weld? Couple extra washers?

Screenshot_2017-04-07-19-57-38_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Not the same oil leak
Reply #1 - 04/07/17 at 17:24:53

Unfortunately, this is a very bad thing.  The long bolt goes way past the cylinder head, and it threads into the cylinder.  The pressure oil supply to the head surrounds this bolt - and no oil will go to the head until the bolt is held in tightly.  This oil galley also prevents you from drilling and tapping any new threads.

You potentially could get lucky if you take a threaded 6mm rod, and taper the threads and cut a groove across a few threads.....so that the threaded rod can maybe cut some new threads.  Insert the rod into the hole and see if it starts in a few threads that may remain....and continue turning lightly until it stops turning.  Mark the top of the rod about 1/4" above the top of the head cover - then remove the threaded rod and cut it off where you marked it.  Then get a long 6mm nut....the kind they use to attach threaded rods together.....and put it on the top end of the threaded rod, then insert a 6mm bolt in the top of the long nut until it bottoms out against the threaded rod.  Then insert the shaped end of the threaded rod into the hole, and begin turning....then you feel the rod bottom out, tap the top with a hammer, then screw the threaded rod in a bit more, then tap again and wrench again - repeat until you are afraid to tighten the nut any additional (that part is going to take some educated judgement).  Then remove the bolt at the top, remove the long nut, install the special rubber sealing washer with a bit of RTV sealant on both sides.  Then put some RTV sealant on the threads, and snug down a nut.  Don't overtighten it, as you don't have much threads holding.

(If you need me to.....I can make the pieces you need to get this done, as I have done one for another member.  Unfortunately he had his bike all torn down for painting and I never got to see it in action).

If this doesn't work - your next step is to take the engine apart....and do this:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1448209911/0#0

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #2 - 04/07/17 at 18:21:13

This happened to me - bolt spins like a top. When I pulled it up - the threads from the cylinder were on the bolt.

I blew the hole out with compresses air, dropped a 150mm fully threaded M6 bolt in there, and it found some more thread for it to bite in to.

I carefully unscrewed that, then, I put two m6 nuts on the 150mm bolt and ran them all the way to the top.

I dropped red thread-lock on the end of the new bolt, then carefully threaded it in to the remaining threads, just with my fingers until it bottomed out.

Then, I slowly and carefully tightened one nut down to the head cover. I didn't use a torque wrench(never do for the head cover), but I would guess 3lbs.

It's still like that now, I haven't had an oil leak yet(2 months). Once I'm convinced it's 'fixed'(and get time), I'll hacksaw the excess off the top of the 150mm bolt, and use the 2nd (top) nut to retrain the threads at the cut.

Good luck.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
TallElf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

mistake by the lake
Reply #3 - 04/07/17 at 18:44:20

Had the same thing.   Pulled the head and and did an m6 helicoil.   Replaced the head gasket as mine was coming apart and leaking as well.   Added a verslavy tensioner mod and slapped it back together.   Much more labor involved than the 150mm option above but i figure it was time to get intimate with the bike and learn a bit.    Runs better now than when i got it and seems to have cured a lot of the backfiring too as I did a valve adjustment too.. It was like that book my son loves..  If ya give a mouse a cookie

2001 glacier blue stock air 150 main stock pilot 2007 dyna exhaust.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 04/10/17 at 08:14:38

^this
Not exactly sure that it is the same bolt but I bought a used savage with the same problem...tore it down used a 6mm helicoil and it worked...sold it to a friend a few years back and it's held ever since.

made me really nervous since it was my first helicoil repair but I guess it worked out!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:35:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Not the same oil leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.