Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Side Stand Switch Diode? (Read 278 times)
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Side Stand Switch Diode?
Reply #15 - 04/06/17 at 18:32:33

Quote:
I want the parking light lit and headlight off when the bike is running with the kickstand down so I'm not shining through my neighbors windows across the alley while warming the engine up before I ride at night.

Considerate.

"07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks"

Just turn the bike around so the exhaust is pointin' at his windows 'staid of the headlight.

Don't have rewire nothin'  Wink

« Last Edit: 04/06/17 at 20:03:34 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #16 - 04/06/17 at 20:32:22

Hope that was tongue in cheek Justin. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 04/06/17 at 21:41:27

No, why wouldn't it work?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #18 - 04/07/17 at 08:33:33

If it's cold out I have to give the bike a decent warming or it coughs and acts cranky while riding. And I do sit on it while it is warming up, Dave and other's warned me about idling on the stand before.

As for the wiring, it should be fine to power the new relay right from a contact on the existing side stand relay instead of using the sidestand switch circuit. That switch has a diode which will have a typical 0.7V drop across it. Powering two relays from that circuit may become problematic. For example turning on the turn signal and the voltage drop from that bringing the level of the sidestand switch circuit down further resulting in the relays de-energizing and then my headlight would be flashing opposite the turn signal  Grin

I will try and verify my idea against the actual wiring over the weekend and see if it pans out. If not, back to the drawing board.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #19 - 04/07/17 at 09:16:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/06/17 at 17:56:35:
He's more concerned about the reverse EMF when the coil drops.
Put another diode in parallel?
Put a 16 volt Zener in parallel?

The Zener is a good idea for suppressing the spike when the coils are denenergized. The solenoid coil can potentially generate a few hundred volts from inductive kickback. Add another coil and you can potentially double this as the voltage from the simultaneously de-energized coils will add together. Let's assume we get a kickback of 214 volts form a single coil. With two it would be up to 428V. If the original Suzuki diode has a PIV of 400V then I'll be SOL once it gets hit with the higher kickback and need to order a new diode from Suzuki. Or substitute in one with a much higher PIV.
Any zener used would have to have a high enough PIV too if one was used.
And that's where it gets complicated - knowing how high of a PIV I'll need is a PITA. I can try many different diodes with sequentially higher PIV's until I find one that doesn't pop. Or I can get empirical amd drag the oscilloscope out to the bike to make some accurate measurements of the event. I've had to do this before for work a long time ago, measure the peak inrush current of hybrid switch mode power supplies. Capturing such short lived transients is tough to do. It can be done but it's alot more work than I want to deal with right now.
I want to have fun tinkering, not start an elaborate experiement where I have to use my noodle. And I'm not sure I have the correct resistor on hand for such a test anyways. Has to be like 0.1 Ohms 50 or more Watts with 0.1% tolerance.

You put the resistor in series with the circuit you're measuring and place the oscilloscope probe to measure across that resistor, then very carefully set the trigger for the expected time interval and sync the trace to that trigger. Now you need to observe the trace at different volt/div settings until you find correct voltage range. Finally, make the event happen several dozen times and record the measured voltage each time and make an average of the recorded values. Now you know how big your transient gets in terms of voltage after mathematically deriving the voltage from the measured current and the known value of the test resistor.

All of this completely bores me to tears so I'll just grab some alligator clips and wire cutters and see what I can see brute force style.  Wink

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #20 - 04/07/17 at 10:28:49

Justin,
I haven't given it any thought, it may or may not work but I don't think it matters.

My point is that our bikes have enough questionable electronic stuff already without adding more. Reducing would be better in my opinion. Wink

If Mikes bike cannot be ridden with choke after a minute of warm up it needs carb adjustment anyway. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 04/07/17 at 20:54:03

If  Mikes bike cannot be ridden with choke after a minute of warm up it needs carb adjustment anyway. Smiley

That's what I'm tawkin bout, Willis.      

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 04/07/17 at 23:26:42

You could use the K.I.S.S. system,drill  a hole in the top of the headlight case insert a toggle switch one way to power the parking light ,the other way to complete the headlight ground .If the switch dies on a trip just twist the ground together and tape,or is that to easy? Power your light off the igi. and you can't even run the battery down .I for one don't want to be in the middle of God's country wondering where my next relay ,transistor ,or toasted wires,or new fuse is coming from.I think you're over engineering the problem!the electric system on a bike is the weakest system,why add to your problems.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #23 - 04/08/17 at 07:52:58

I may have to do it your way Batman. For all my searching I absolutely cannot find the relay I ordered now. I don't know where it's gone since it arrived a few months ago. In searching for it though I did manage to find a handful of military grade environmentally sealed toggle switches. The kind with the red rubber around the actual toggle and the screw terminals in back. They came out of a surplus hydraulic test set for Navy helicopters that I received as part of a DRMO auction I won. These switches are indestructible.
Stinking relay, what the heck...??? Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 04/08/17 at 10:10:28

A piece of cardboard and some string.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #25 - 04/08/17 at 10:29:42

Just throw an old towel over the headlight and toss it to the side when you leave.   Roll Eyes  You can also put it on the seat overnight to keep light rain, frost, or dew off, if that's an issue. Cool

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #26 - 04/08/17 at 11:14:10

I like Batman's idea a switch on the headlight. KISS principle in action. Well almost. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 04/08/17 at 12:12:54

SALB wrote on 04/08/17 at 10:29:42:
Just throw an old towel over the headlight and toss it to the side when you leave.   Roll Eyes  You can also put it on the seat overnight to keep light rain, frost, or dew off, if that's an issue. Cool

There's the quick, cheap and easy answer.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 04/09/17 at 02:39:34

Yep....I like the manual switch idea as well.  Less complex, and gives you flexibility - and puts "you" in control!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #29 - 04/09/17 at 04:46:56

Aha appealing to the control freak in me now? not bad!  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:29:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Side Stand Switch Diode?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.