Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Almost ready for cross country and back (Read 112 times)
DeadKings
YaBB Newbies

Single Thumper Fan

Portland Oregon
Almost ready for cross country and back
04/04/17 at 13:58:23

So update and few questions ......  I've got most my mods done here's what I've done .
Vers cam chain tensioner swap
Kawi front pulley swap
Pod filter with  8 inch x 2 inch intake tube
Header exhaust with single baffle exhaust and lollipop  tip
Carb jets at 157.5 main and 55 pilot ( may step down but seems to run really good here in Portland with the early spring weather )
Iridium plug  
140 90 15 tire
Gs 850 adjustable and over sized  rear  shocks 13 inch ( handled way better  plus helps with added saddle bag weight
Seat lift mod ( didn't realize how much an inch and a half would make me more comfortable )
Raptor petcock swap(   from the dealer lol )

Cosmetic changes
Push in seat clips
12 inch apes with wires run through the bars
Extended clutch and throttle cable to fit bars
Fiberglass saddlebags with integrated turn signal and tail light

Few other things I can't think of right now
 So my question is does anyone see anything I should adjust / tune or just change possibly ? Bike seems to be running really good .
I just really want to make it to Myrtle Beach and back from Portland .  We decide to go the southern route ...  
Also  what do you think  is  the most wieght I should add to the bike . As in gear and  equipment for the trip . Gonna bring the stock tool kit and basic other tools .  Plus a one man tent and a sleep roll .  Odds end and a few change of clothes .  
Is it worth investing in a small windshield or maybe headlight wind fairing ( just goes the headlight and up to just below the top of the apes ) . Or will that even help ? I'm really just trying to fine tune everything and get a few rides in for testing before I go .
I do ride the bike daily and have just about 16000 miles on it
Just did a oil filter change with a new iridium plug .

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Almost ready for cross country and back
Reply #1 - 04/04/17 at 14:05:10

If the bike "seems to be running really good" leave things alone. For your very long distances, some sort of windscreen would help, or that's my experience on medium distance trips. Check your oil level daily as these bikes use it at over 70 mph. I posted a photo here years ago of a plastic drink bottle and some pill bottles which made a convenient tool holder.

P1010467.JPG

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 04/04/17 at 14:37:45

What about:
- Extended battery leads in case you need a jump and don't already have easy access to your terminals?
- Charging station (USB plug wired into a lead that is only hot when you have the key on so you don't kill your battery by mistake).

I suggest a windshield, even a small one will deflect some wind (and bugs!).

Have a safe trip!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/04/17 at 14:58:11

You definitely need a quart bottle of Rotella oil so you can add when the level drops.

The oil level drops when you cover a lot of ground at higher rpm.  The larger rear tire and Kawasaki pulley will help - but you still need to be prepared.....and check the oil level regularly.  (And you won't be buying some off brand of oil in an emergency).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/04/17 at 15:06:38

stewmills wrote on 04/04/17 at 14:37:45:
What about:
- Extended battery leads in case you need a jump and don't already have easy access to your terminals?

Have a safe trip!

If you do need a jump, removing the seat will give you access to the starter relay where the positive lead of the battery is connected.  And ground anywhere on the engine.

Do have a safe trip,
do keep informed of where you are, you might find you'll have company.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 04/04/17 at 16:35:38

when getting a jump you can also run the cables to a ground and the positive to the terminal on the starter motor,with the key on and the bike in neutral(there should be enough juice in the battery to power the spark if your not powering the starter),without removal of the seat.I have found that 4oz plastic bottles that 2 stroke oil for chainsaws comes in to be easy to carry oil in as they fit in bags better and can be tossed after use,why carry a full quart container half empty.Good Luck!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/04/17 at 18:31:43

While the solenoid is engaged the battery is connected to the starter, jump voltage feeds the iggy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/04/17 at 19:19:40

Windshield would be good. Also make sure your helmet fits.  A loose fitting helmet will wear you down like a two bit...you get the idea.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 04/04/17 at 22:26:13

If you need to jump start, have a heavy rubber band or similar to hold the clutch lever while you hook up and make the jump.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/05/17 at 07:36:30

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/04/17 at 18:31:43:
While the solenoid is engaged the battery is connected to the starter, jump voltage feeds the iggy.

So while you're jumping to the starter terminal... push the starter button too?
Is that why they call them monkey bikes?

WWW   IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #10 - 04/05/17 at 09:35:53

Windshield and ear plugs .....   The 'shield will keep the bugs and wind off and the wind noise tends to be tiring after a few hours....  Relax.   Enjoy the scenery.   Cool

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 04/05/17 at 09:42:25

verslagen1 wrote on 04/05/17 at 07:36:30:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/04/17 at 18:31:43:

So while you're jumping to the starter terminal... push the starter button too?
Is that why they call them monkey bikes?

If it's spinning and not firing, hit the button.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 04/05/17 at 14:43:53

If you do it my way ,you'll need to do nothing.You make sure it's in neutral ,you turn the key to on,(power to the igi.) you clamp the ground to the case( I clamp it near the speedo cable at the base) pull the rubber  cap back from the starter motor terminal and touch the positive end of the cable to it briefly, the bike should fire right  up  .the only thing else needed is to choke if the motor is cold.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 04/05/17 at 14:57:41

What if the battery is so low it won't make it spark?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 04/05/17 at 15:31:57

JOG ,we know the if the battery voltage is below 10 volts the igi. won't fire,but this usually occurs because the voltage drops when the battery sends it's power to the starter,the only way the voltage in the battery at rest would be less than 10 volts would be if it had one or more dead cells.the TDI requires 10 + volts but very little amps ,so should be able to supply spark (at least it did in my case).whenyou touch the jumper cable to the starter  it turns over the motor. You have spark ,compression and fuel the bike turning over at normal speed, guess what happens next!(I rode home twenty+ miles ,tried to restart ,no way,  bought my new battery the next day)

« Last Edit: 04/06/17 at 20:20:24 by batman »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:19:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Almost ready for cross country and back

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.