Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hot Exhaust, Etc. (Read 168 times)
CaptHowdy

Old Skool

South Louisiana
Hot Exhaust, Etc.
04/03/17 at 18:55:25

The Mighty Savage has not run for six years, and stored outside with 9,300 miles on the clock. I've changed fluids, new spark plug, overhauled the carb, new battery, new air filter, Raptor petcock, and fresh gasoline. I got it started, but the engine is noisy and clanky at idle. When I twist the throttle, it sounds like the engine is being smothered. And, the exhaust is really hot. So hot, it will burn my bare hand 8-inches from the muffler. I set a fan in front of the engine, but that exhaust cooks. I'm guessing too lean and/or valves need adjustment. Any ideas? I wanna ride this thing!

PS It was given to me. I'm not the one that trashed it.

'00 Suzuki LS650
'97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
'89 HD FXD
'15 BMW K1600GTL
'03 Honda GL1800
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Hot Exhaust, Etc.
Reply #1 - 04/03/17 at 19:27:40

Did you blow oil in the cylinder?
Did you run a magnet through the oil?
Study the filter?
The valves might never have been adjusted.
Any sign it's been dropped?
How long did you let it sound like a thrashing machine?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 04/03/17 at 19:52:38

Oil filter in backwards? mouse in the muffler?stock carb?stock exhaust?tell us more!What weight oil did you use?You need to check some more things before trying to run it again,or you my ruin the motor.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/03/17 at 20:01:53

do you know the guy you got it from?

if he parked it might've been for a reason... like needing maintenance.

check the cam chain.

WWW   IP Logged
CaptHowdy

Old Skool

South Louisiana
Reply #4 - 04/03/17 at 21:47:19

I'm using Shell Rotella T4 15W40 motor oil. The 50 year old lady that gave me the motorcycle did no maintenance on the motorcycle. New Oil filter is fitted correctly, stock carb and muffler. Shot some WD40 in the cylinder before rolling the engine over. I haven't adjusted the valves yet. Left foot peg is bent back 1/2-inch like it'd been dropped. I'll open the right side case and check the cam chain adjuster and clutch over the weekend.

The good news is the throttle grip Lancer gave me works perfectly!

'00 Suzuki LS650
'97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
'89 HD FXD
'15 BMW K1600GTL
'03 Honda GL1800
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/04/17 at 04:07:43

I think that changing the oil and oil filter before starting up an engine that has been sitting is one of the worst things you can do to an engine.  The engine has been sitting and the oil film on all the internal parts has had a long time to drip off the parts....there is little or no oil on anything that isn't below the level of the oil in the sump.  Then when you drain the oil you allow the oil that is in the intake pipe of the oil pump to drain out, and then you open up the oil filter housing and the oil runs out, and you put in a filter that is dry.  When you start the engine the fresh oil has to be sucked up into the pump, then it must fill the filter housing and new filter.........and then when all that is done the oil begins the journey to oil the internal parts - and it is a long way up the cylinder to the cam and rockers.

You did good by spraying some lube in the cylinder.

Before I start an engine that has been in storage, I remove the spark plugs and spray in Sta-Bil fogging oil, then while the spark plug(s) are out I check the oil level, and I will turn the engine over with the starter for a few 10 second bursts......this will get the oil pumped into the bearings.  Then I put the spark plugs back in.  If I know the fuel was drained before the engine was put into storage I may try to start it - but anything that sat for a long time with fuel in it gets a carb cleaning before I even try to start the engine.   This results in the engine running without oil for several seconds - this does happen when you do the regular oil change on your bike.....but they parts have a fresh coating of oil from the warm up ride you did before you drained the oil.

I wouldn't worry about the hot exhaust if you are running the bike on the sidestand and not riding the bike, as the exhaust and engine are air cooled, and meant to be moving while running.  I would worry about the camshaft.  It is not good to let the bike idle for an extended period while the bike is sitting on the sidestand.  The engine doesn't make a lot of oil pressure at idle, and the sloping engine doesn't seem to oil the uphill side of the camshaft well enough.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1447331708

The first thing you should do is clean the carb.  Next check the valve clearance and the cam chain tensioner.....and hope that those are making the noise as those are easy to fix.  The headlight and speedometer can also rattle and make sounds like the cam/rockers are coming apart.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/04/17 at 06:39:40

You need to make sure the exhaust is clear.  You probably have banana, err, rodents nest in the exhaust pipe and that's why it sounds smothered.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 04/04/17 at 07:16:49

ohiomoto wrote on 04/04/17 at 06:39:40:
You need to make sure the exhaust is clear.  You probably have banana, err, rodents nest in the exhaust pipe and that's why it sounds smothered.

Or you may have one or more mud dobbers nests in the pipe or engine even.  Yep, I have found them before.

IP Logged
CaptHowdy

Old Skool

South Louisiana
Reply #8 - 04/04/17 at 07:45:31

The tailpipe and muffler come off tonight, maybe. I want to get at that cam chain and adjuster this weekend, and also check valve clearance. Could be an IED behind the clutch cover. The air filter box was full of water and oil sludge. I took it off and cleaned with soap and water and reinstalled. Mud dobbers in the belt guard, under the seat, under the gas tank, and all up in the frame. Spiders inside the handlebars removed with compressed air. This forum makes the motorcycle that much easier to work on.

PS the smothering sound is not coming from the exhaust; it's like it just can't get enough air when I tweek the throttle. The RPM doesn't increase, just makes that "baauhh" sound.

'00 Suzuki LS650
'97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
'89 HD FXD
'15 BMW K1600GTL
'03 Honda GL1800
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 04/04/17 at 10:17:08

Yeah rodents plug things up , my buddies bong wouldn't hit one night & I told him to suck harder and sure enough he sucked a dead mouse out of the bong ! Couldn't stop laughing for days !!!! Grin Grin Grin

Sorry for changing the subject again , Dave

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
CaptHowdy

Old Skool

South Louisiana
Reply #10 - 04/04/17 at 11:00:26

I'm not ready to, but I might as well wrap the tail pipe while I have it off. The location of the right foot peg in relation to that pipe looks threatening. Images of my Suzuki 80 in the '60's burning a hole in my leg still keep me up at night. But, so does Adult Swim (no connection).

'00 Suzuki LS650
'97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
'89 HD FXD
'15 BMW K1600GTL
'03 Honda GL1800
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 04/04/17 at 13:42:51

The noise from the carb,the fact that the motor doesn't run above idle,and runs hot ,all sound like a lean condition. I would revisit the carb and make sure the slide is not hanging up ,spray it with carb cleaner and make sure you don't handle it when reinstalling.The butterfly valve is moved by the throttle but the slide is independent and only moves by vacuum/pressure on the rubber diaphragm .When the butterfly opens wide but the slide fails to open it could make the kind of sound your telling us about.If you disassembled the slide/needle jet make sure the brass plate has the dimple, near the needle, facing down,and the vacuum ports(the two small holes either side of the needle) aren't plugged,even by the plate when fully assembled.

« Last Edit: 04/04/17 at 15:40:48 by batman »  

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 04/06/17 at 20:32:08

The bike sitting that long,if you have the stock petcock,the rubber diaphragm could be bad from old fuel , I would try putting on prime to make sure your getting enough fuel to the carb.

« Last Edit: 04/09/17 at 15:25:14 by batman »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:17:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hot Exhaust, Etc.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.