Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yikes! Did I trash my tranny?... (Read 129 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Yikes! Did I trash my tranny?...
04/03/17 at 06:55:04

Coming home from work Friday night I was making the turn into my alley downshifting to 1st and the shift lever went way down. My 1st thought is the shift linkage slipped but after examining it I don't see a problem with it. It's all tight, the shaft isn't stripped, the lever isn't bent.
I cannot get my foot under the shifter to shift up but when I use my hand I can shift and verified the bike actually still changes gears but it takes much more effort than before to do so.
Any thoughts?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Yikes! Did I trash my tranny?...
Reply #1 - 04/03/17 at 06:57:35

What does the rod between the foot lever and the shaft on the engine look like?  The folks that like to stomp on the shift lever often bend this shaft.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #2 - 04/03/17 at 07:23:43

It's straight as ever.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/03/17 at 07:35:33

What happens when you readjust the lever?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/03/17 at 09:50:34

If the shift lever and rod are not bent, and the shift arm connection at the transmission are solid, then what? Bent fork?
I've never seen a problem beyond a bent rod.
Pull down on the shifter and watch the rod.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 04/03/17 at 10:36:02

Pull the rod and check and check male and female threads?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/03/17 at 12:02:23

Why? Has that ever happened?
Has anyone shown that the rod can be pushed on hard enough to rip the threads off before it flexed?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #7 - 04/03/17 at 13:22:13

I'll check once I get home today and attempt to adjust. I wasn't stomping the shifter, just a normal routine downshift at walking speed. Only unusual stress on the bike was getting stuck in stop and crawl traffic for an hour along the way. Oil level dropped a little bit. Otherwise can't see what would have caused this...

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 04/03/17 at 16:53:52

JOG,never has happened,but if either of the locking nuts had backed off I think it might be possible ,if the shaft isn't bent ,the length had to shorten somehow to allow the pedal to be lower.A while back someone installed a new float in the carb but it still was flooding,turns out he installed it upside down ,I didn't even know it would fit that way,strange things happen.the treads on that shaft  are pretty fine they may have jumped if the locking nuts where not tight.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #9 - 04/03/17 at 19:12:18

Ok it is fixed now.
When I thought the linkage and adjustment nuts were tight I didn't realize the front lock nut was all the way toward the back of the threaded part of the rod. It was tight to the end of the threads there and not up against the clevis where it belonged.

As for the mystery of how it got there I'm not real sure yet. Or why it seemed to happen really suddenly. I'm guessing it was gradual and I just didn't notice because after the traffic jam on my way home I didn't have to shift down to 1st for a long time.

I got a clue as to the reason it happened. Vibration!
I found a few loose nuts and bolts on my cylinder head. Since the big bore was done the motor vibrates a lot more at idle than it used to. And sitting in traffic so long things started loosening up. Then when I got out of traffic and the rest of the trip was at high speeds those loosened fasteners started really moving. So much so that one fell out and was stuck in the spark plug recess in the head. I'm still trying to figure out where that one came from, I ran out of light before I did.

Anyway's that's my theory. From now on I will make sure to snug up nuts and bolts before riding long distances or into possible traffic jam territory.
I readjusted the shift linkage and added oil. The bike seems fine now. Had me scratching my head though since I didn't have time to inspect it thoroughly before.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 04/03/17 at 19:19:51

Batman knocks it outta the park!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 03:18:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Yikes! Did I trash my tranny?...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.