My new other ride (Read 175 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
My new other ride
04/02/17 at 20:35:51

My trusty 02 Eclipse finally gave out on me Friday morning a week ago. Picked up this 2014 Kia Soul manual 6 speed this Thursday. A bit of a change going from the 3 liter 6 cylinder to the 1.6 liter 4 cylinder. It reminds me of the Savage in a sense though, keep rowing through the gears and you have all the power you need (not necessarily all the power you want, but yes all the power you need).

soul.JPG

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: My new other ride
Reply #1 - 04/02/17 at 22:14:30

Your going to love it out on the Hwy.     And Love the fuel sipping too !  Smiley

If 1st gear is a "Granny" , have ya tried to take off in 2nd when gravity gives ya a chance ?

I think OldFeller has the single speed torque converter version of that car ... or maybe is the cube ?

either way hope it treats ya well .   Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 04/02/17 at 23:52:20

Nissan Cube.   1.8 liter engine, CVT transmission  (steel belt running between two variable pully set ups).   MM has ridden in it with it slam full of adult males and pulling a trailer and a bike -- up at the Dragon and surrounding steep areas no less.  

It doesn't do bad for a itty bitty squirrel cage engine.      Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/03/17 at 07:05:54

Don't be afraid to consider getting a small trailer to haul your bike to the more distant rides.  My little Pontiac Vibe has a 4 cylinder and it can haul my enclosed trailer and 2 Savage sized bikes just fine (even on the Dragon).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 04/03/17 at 08:25:55

Wow, on both the Vibe and the Cube. I really did not expect this car to be able to pull anything but the more I drive it the more it seems it does have a bit of power when you need it. Yeah, I am expecting good mileage and at least 3 to 4 years of no issues. Keep your fingers crossed.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/03/17 at 08:51:56

As long as I keep moving the shifter to keep the rpm up over 3,000 on the hills...it pulls just fine.  I do slow down on really long/steep hills....I believe Jellico Mountain in Tennessee slows me down to 45 mph - I can just tuck in behind a truck if I need to.  You do have to pay attention and shift when needed - there is very little torque, and the engine just doesn't pull if you let the rpm drop under 2,000 rpm.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 04/03/17 at 10:53:22

I have to admit, I really like your trailer Dave. Yep, gotta keep rowing through the gears.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/03/17 at 11:03:27

I am really lucky to have found that trailer used - the guy I bought it from hauled "show rabbits" around the country, and that is why it has windows and screens in it.

It not only make a great place to haul the bike - it works great for sleeping while on the road or at the campsite.  When not hauling the bike I have a larger mattress and my wife and I use the trailer for camping....it doesn't need to be set up, and it is more weatherproof than a tent (it sure is loud inside when it is raining).

If your new "ride" has room to sleep inside - you could get by with a very small open trailer to haul the motorcycle.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 04/03/17 at 12:09:27

How.did you get rid of the wabbit smell ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 04/03/17 at 12:20:03

I painted the walls, and I sealed the floor with truck bedliner.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 04/03/17 at 12:39:44

Hey by the way, if anybody wants to come and pick it up you are welcome to have the eclipse. I have it on craigslist to see if I can get anything for it but if not it may just go to junkyard.

It is really in decent shape. About $2k +/- to fix. I just need to have at least one car with under 100K miles.

eclipse_2.jpg

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #11 - 04/04/17 at 11:22:49

I need to retract my offer. The car has been sold.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 04/04/17 at 20:59:26

Dave , Where do you tie your bikes down in that nicely painted trailer ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 04/05/17 at 03:30:03

I drilled holes in the floor and mounted tie downs in several places along the front, and I have several along the sides.  I also have holes drilled in the floor with "T" nuts on the back, and I can mount a wheel chock when I am hauling a bike.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 04/05/17 at 05:40:27

And since were are exploring the fringes of being "off topic" - I saw a Mitsubishi Delica on the road in front of my office yesterday.  It was somewhat like the one in the attached photo - but it was white and had a larger roof rack - it was really cool looking.  Evidently these thing can come in 4 wheel drive and a turbo diesel...although I don't know what is/was available in the US?

mitsubishi-delica-4x4-cH8c.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:16:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › My new other ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.