Would you pay more? (Read 192 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Would you pay more?
03/31/17 at 18:17:00

The crux of my question is, would you pay more for a motorcycle made here in the states if it was a quality build and produced more jobs at home?

To qualify my question a little bit more, I am not talking Harley roadking prices.....
I am talking entry level bikes that might be a few hundred, to a couple thousands more than to a comparable import, excluding any tariffs if that happens.

Just wondering where folks in the USA stand...
Thanks

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Would you pay more?
Reply #1 - 03/31/17 at 18:31:43

In all honesty, it wouldn't make much difference to me. If I liked a certain bike enough to buy it, then I would. I didn't buy a Suzuki because it's a Suzuki. I bought my S40 for other reasons.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 03/31/17 at 19:17:02

Buell seemed to do well with the Blast. The key to the entry level bike market is to have an interesting line of motorcycles to upgrade to. Polaris could become such a company, however they are working their way backwards.

I'm always willing to pay more for quality. I get so angry when I see sub-600 cc bikes with garbage suspension, brakes and features. I'd gladly pay more for quality components, because I'm gonna upgrade them anyway.

Just look at the small car market. 20-30 years ago small car = cheap car. Today you can purchase small cars that carry all of the equipment and features of luxury cars. The market was created by customer demand and smart manufacturers answered the call.

Yes, I would consider a small bike made in the USA that had high-end components, and would be willing to pay for what I get.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 03/31/17 at 19:31:21

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/31/17 at 19:17:02:
Buell seemed to do well with the Blast. The key to the entry level bike market is to have an interesting line of motorcycles to upgrade to. Polaris could become such a company, however they are working their way backwards.

I'm always willing to pay more for quality. I get so angry when I see sub-600 cc bikes with garbage suspension, brakes and features. I'd gladly pay more for quality components, because I'm gonna upgrade them anyway.

Just look at the small car market. 20-30 years ago small car = cheap car. Today you can purchase small cars that carry all of the equipment and features of luxury cars. The market was created by customer demand and smart manufacturers answered the call.

Yes, I would consider a small bike made in the USA that had high-end components, and would be willing to pay for what I get.

Thanks for a very thought provoking reply Gary!

Indeed, small cars had a major hurdle to shed the stigma attached to them for many years.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/01/17 at 03:25:47

I hate to admit it.....but I am a bargain bike buyer.

Unless I win a lottery........I seriously doubt that I will ever buy a new motorcycle at a dealership.

Good used "like new" motorcycles can be purchased for a half what they cost new.  Reliable bikes that have a bit more wear are even cheaper to buy.

If I found a used Harley or Indian or Buell (or some other American built bike that I liked at a bargain price)......I would buy it.

I do try to buy US made when possible - but sometimes you just don't have much option anymore.  Most stores just don't stock US made products.....go to a home improvement store and try to find a US made lighting fixture or ceiling fan.      

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #5 - 04/01/17 at 06:11:55

I agree with Kris01. I buy stuff based on the format and features I need and want. Where it is made is not a big deal to me, although I generally look at American manufacturers first. If they don't have what I'm looking for, I move on.

Another point is that I usually buy stuff (especially toys like motorcycles and musical instruments) used. That often limits my choices to what is available, not necessarily where it was made.

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #6 - 04/01/17 at 06:33:14

I buy things based on "value" (quality/price) and need (vs WANT)

I also try to live comfortably beneath my means.

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/01/17 at 08:29:46

My answer is absolutely YES. An example: I have recently purchased a new Taylor guitar made in California. It's a fantastic instrument, plays and sounds great. NOT cheap. So what. I could have purchased a Chinese-made guitar, similar in style, for a third the price, but I am proud to own an American icon, world famous for quality. It can, and has been done. Look at Zero electric motorcycles in California.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 04/01/17 at 08:38:50

Ok, seems fit/needs comes first, makes sense, then we find the product that will satisfy that need.
It looks like then, all things being equal at that point, allegiance to point of manufacturing earns a concern then.

You know last year I bought my wife a new car from the dealer.
I looked at many, for the last purchase I made was in 2005, when I bought a new Ford truck from the dealer.
One thing I found interesting is some of the dealers listed what percentage of the car was made where....
Only one of about 10 or so we looked at had a 100% manufactured in one country.
It was a Toyota Preius.
Oh how that small car perception and made in Japan has changed, eh  Angry

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #9 - 04/01/17 at 09:08:46

If all else was equal, I might shell out a little extra for an American bike.  The problem is, the only American bikes built right now are V-twin cruisers (with the exception of the Indian Scout).  

« Last Edit: 04/01/17 at 13:05:19 by SALB »  
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 04/01/17 at 12:37:19

I'm with Dave on this one. I'm a bargain hunter and there are bargains to be had out there. I like to buy American where I can but cannot afford to pay more for items of equal value just because one was made in the USA.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 04/01/17 at 12:59:48

SALB wrote on 04/01/17 at 09:08:46:
If all else was equal, I might shell out a little extra for an American bike.  The problem is, the only American bikes built right now are V-twin cruisers(with the exception of the Indian Scout).  

Then you have a problem.

The US motorcycle industry is stuck with one staple idea in mind:
- big bore, slow revving V-twin engine,
- big, heavy, "feet forward" cruiser position and frame of mind.

No dual sports, no lightweight Street bikes, no crotch rockets.
No vertical twins, triples, fours.
No change since the Harley F-head other than improving an age-old design.

It's like riding a dinosaur with sneakers and a baseball cap.
Looks like a teenager but handles like my grandpa.

Either someone Forks out real fast a NEW bike, or used bikes will increase in price as new bikes will have import taxes levvied on them.

Europe can live without Harleys... can the US live without japanese and european imports?  Undecided

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #12 - 04/01/17 at 14:29:41

All three motorcycles I've owned were brought new. Jawa 634, Suzuki GN 250, and the S40. Mind you all were cheap bikes, the Jawa was half the price of a Honda CB 350 in 1976. I certainly won't be spending $NZ ten to forty thousand on an Indian or Harley or for that matter a Ducati or BMW.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 04/01/17 at 17:24:59

mpescatori wrote on 04/01/17 at 12:59:48:
The US motorcycle industry is stuck with one staple idea in mind:
- big bore, slow revving V-twin engine,
- big, heavy, "feet forward" cruiser position and frame of mind.

I think that the Indian FTR750 will evolve into a street bike. If so it will be a proper "street fighter" type bike with an up-right seating position and feet somewhere between the knee and but.

It wont be cheap.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #14 - 04/02/17 at 03:42:53

I'd pay more for a locally made bike if it were good quality and met my needs. can't see It happening though. everyone wants something for nothing or they "deserve" an imported machine. I've been an enthusiast and buyer of our local car maker ( Holden) since I was old enough to dig cars. they're finishing up local manufacturer later this year, unfortunately. localcar buyers have bought into the "imported is better, local product is notgood enough" crap. bogans used to drive holden and Ford, now they all "deserve" an Audi or.bmw. That includes the workers at the plant. precious few of them own the product they build. so, Holden is becoming a reseller of imported and rebranded SE Asian compacts. Australia's muscle car is dead. oh yeah: I drive a Holden. .

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:14:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › Would you pay more?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.