Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tip and Trick...gluing to plastic to plastic (Read 90 times)
pam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ft. Mitchell, KY
Tip and Trick...gluing to plastic to plastic
03/22/17 at 20:55:40

This is a Trick i learned in model Railroading and you may be able to apply it to here.......
  we some times have to gue platic pins post rails etc..walls together...

this could apply on some plastic parts on a motorcycle..

use super glue ..drop a bit of baking soda in the glue ..join two plastic pieces together...bonds instantly ...and if you need to sand you can then sand or do any sanding ..say example..i am glueing to plastic washers together to make a longer washer..on say a luagge rack...to make a longer spacer...

mods can relocate this ..if not for this spot... Thank you

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Tip and Trick...gluing to plastic to plastic
Reply #1 - 03/22/17 at 23:36:17

I Do like the StuporGlue. I Never remember the baking soda,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #2 - 03/23/17 at 02:18:54

Certain plastic require specific glues. Epoxy resin for example will not bond to polyurethane plastic or some type of plastic, it acts like a mould peels straight off, something to do with the molecular electric surface properties. Have you ever wondered why that nasty stuff on your teeth doesn't build up on the inside of your cheeks, same thing, the molecular surface will not allow teeth gunk to adhere to the inside of the cheek. Super glue is brittle, not sure it would be good for a vibrating thumper.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 03/23/17 at 06:50:15

I had to do some repairs on the plastics of my Ninja 250 and this ABS glue is what was highly recommended. I only had a minor repair, but so far I have been pleased with the repair results.

29FH94_AS01.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/23/17 at 07:17:03

How adhesives work is a science all its own. The ones that dissolve the plastic and dry are very different from how tape works.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 03/23/17 at 08:50:26

Well Pam thanks for getting this thread started !

And Stew thanks for the tip on the ABS cement ... I'm going to have to get some of that to add to my bag of Magic Tricks !   Wink

My son thinks I magically pour Mt.Dew on things he can't fix ...  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 03/23/17 at 11:58:05

When you must have a little strength and or you need some thickness build up, JB Weld makes one (1) epoxy that is the only epoxy that will stick to both ABS and urethane type plastics and metal.

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-50132-PlasticWeld-Quick-Setting/dp/B009EU5ZMK

I had issues with slick surface oily type plastics when working with the new hard case saddle bags and I found this as the only epoxy solution recommended by biker people.    Users in threads and in comments sections recommend roughing the surfaces for the "best of all world" bonds.

The Oatley ABS cement is a solvent based solution, but needs to enter into my bag of tricks as well.   It is a lot cheaper for a larger area application than the JB Weld would be.  

I also found you can use the J-B Weld 50132 PlasticWeld as a very thin bonding layer and use cheaper polyurethane based "liquid nails" construction adhesive on top of it as the glues stick to each other just fine.   I suspect the Oately would do the same thing ....

Plastic is a challenge, and working with plastic gas tanks is even more of a challenge as gasoline and alcohol attack ALL adhesives over time .....  this is a bitter truth that causes some projects to get abandoned after they start to fail.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #7 - 03/23/17 at 13:05:31

Has anyone used one of those plastic welders?  I've seen them at Harbor Freight, and wonder how they work? Undecided

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 03/23/17 at 13:24:01

SALB wrote on 03/23/17 at 13:05:31:
Has anyone used one of those plastic welders?  I've seen them at Harbor Freight, and wonder how they work? Undecided

Best I can tell they heat and melt the adjacent pieces as well as the "welding stick" to fill the gap and 'melt' it all back together. I used to kayak a lot and I knew guys that repaired cracked kayaks with the plastic welder, but it seems I may have heard comments that it was good for some boats and not others based on what the boat was made of.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:25:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › Tip and Trick...gluing to plastic to plastic

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.