Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Some in depth questions on scheduled maintenance (Read 173 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Some in depth questions on scheduled maintenan
Reply #15 - 03/23/17 at 08:02:43

When you hit TDC the motor will want to spin on over, your ratchet will spin, a breaker bar gives you control.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 03/23/17 at 08:03:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/23/17 at 07:20:43:
Does that brake lock up real easy?

I have locked it up before...but not sure if I would consider it easy. I know when I got my tires changed I had to twist the rear brake adjuster to change the point that the foot lever would engage. It was braking way too soon.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 03/23/17 at 08:10:46

So, are you adjusting it so that your ankle is extended to the point where you can just barely exert pressure to lock it up?
I don't understand
It was braking to early.
Mine has enough free play to allow the shoes to completely disengage, but the brake is working darn soon after I push down.
The 05 would lock up before I could even feel feedback from the pedal. The 02 has a much better working brake.
I cut grooves in the shoes and ditched about a third of the shoe to drum contact area. It was much better.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 03/23/17 at 08:54:05

When I first got my first Savage I ended up having major surgery not long after so it was not until the following year when I finally got around to checking things on the bike.  I was more than a little surprised to find that the forks had NO oil in them.  There was just a trace from the factory. It when the dealer pulled the bike from the crate they did not even check to see what the level was.  I was not impressed.
So I started checking things more closely and found the wheel bearings were lacking grease as well.  Apparently the engine oil was tbe only thing that was checked.
Point is that you need to verify everything from a dealership because you never know if the dude who checked it may very well have been a high school kid who knows nothing or very little about bikes.

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 03/23/17 at 09:18:47

Another random thought...how long does the clutch typically last on this bike?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 03/23/17 at 09:21:36

transam4life wrote on 03/23/17 at 09:18:47:
Another random thought...how long does the clutch typically last on this bike?

Pretty much forever.....as long as you don't use oils with any Friction Modifiers.  Avoid any oil that says it is "fuel saving" or "energy efficient".

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 03/23/17 at 13:39:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/23/17 at 08:10:46:
So, are you adjusting it so that your ankle is extended to the point where you can just barely exert pressure to lock it up?
I don't understand
It was braking to early.
Mine has enough free play to allow the shoes to completely disengage, but the brake is working darn soon after I push down.
The 05 would lock up before I could even feel feedback from the pedal. The 02 has a much better working brake.
I cut grooves in the shoes and ditched about a third of the shoe to drum contact area. It was much better.

The brake was engaging too quick...literally a half inch push of the foot brake would stop the bike. I set it so that the foot lever has to travel more before it engages now.

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/23/17 at 13:40:22

From the looks of it...this bike is pretty bulletproof. Sounds like as long as I keep up with the oil changes I should be good. I need to check the valves soon and also the cam chain adjuster.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #23 - 03/23/17 at 15:16:37

I'd change the fork oil now and again. Each couple of years is good enough for me. New oil does make the fork action nicer. You need to unscrew the cap on top of the leg, pull the fork legs out and invert the fork to pour the oil out. Pour the measured amount of new oil in the fork leg, put the leg back in the bike, screw the cap on and done.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 03/23/17 at 15:49:30

I've never done that. I guess I'll give that a shot.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #25 - 03/23/17 at 15:53:01

Yes check the valves sooner than later. And try to get in the habit of either performing or going to the mechanic for regular service intervals. Even if you feel the bike is fine do it anyway because
1. You never know
2. You'll have the receipts if and when you sell the bike. Good to shut down hagglers.
3. Be safer than sorry!

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #26 - 03/25/17 at 08:10:15

I've got to say, this thread is one of the most profitable I  have read since joining this forum!  Very informative, and it didn't degenerate into attacks and innuendo.  Great questions!  and GREAT responses and advice!!

Very helpful - even for more of those who are already experienced with the S40!

Thank you all!!!

« Last Edit: 03/26/17 at 10:31:57 by piedmontbuckeye »  

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 03/25/17 at 08:17:26

at least until now...   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:28:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Some in depth questions on scheduled maintenance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.