Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sand traps = near death experiences & I hate K (Read 105 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Sand traps = near death experiences & I hate K
03/21/17 at 18:13:43

The snows melting! Yay!
IT's washing all of the sand and salt downhill to collect at the intersection at the bottom of the hill. Booo!  Angry

Last week I went for a ride. I went to take a left at an intersection of a side street that goes steeply uphill. I take this turn all of the time. I take it in 2nd with some gas and lean pretty low. What a bad idea it was this particular time. The hump of the main road makes a gulley at the edge where it meets the side street. Since the side street is a steep hill the rain and melt washed all of the sand, salt and whatever they spread all winter into that gulley. I leaned and gassed and then I SLID!!!  Undecided
And kept sliding....
Lower and lower, peg down and still lower...
Finally old unused dirt biking instincts awoke and made me kick out hard with my left leg. I managed to kick the bike back up and then with my leg hanging out back as a counterweight it kept me from going over the opposite direction when I came to the end of the sand trap and the tires bit asphalt again.
It was night. the intersection was dark. I couldn't see into the gulley to notice the sand. But it is a menace. And everywhere they put this crap on the roads people needs to WATCH OUT!

Now speaking of tires. I spent my morning standing on the side of the road near the intersection of Passyunk Ave. and 28th street. From 8:30 until 11:30 I waiting for the tow truck to take me and Thumy to a bike shop to fix the flat tire I got crossing that evil drawbridge with the expansion grating. Yeah metal bridge, flat tire, fun....
I have a new grey hair!

Kenda tires SUCK! This is my 2nd flat on the rear in the past year. My Hybrid bicycle runs Kenda tires too. I've had two flats per wheel on it.
I'm done with this brand of tire. I'm done with being stuck between a refinery and the projects in the rain when I should be at work getting paid.
Seeya Kenda!

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Re: Sand traps = near death experiences & I hate K
Reply #1 - 03/21/17 at 18:27:57

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #2 - 03/21/17 at 19:32:48

Thats the place. Fun place to be stuck. I wonder how many years my life was shortened breathing the air there?
Now imagine this place with rain and 44 degrees temperature and your clothes all wet from road spray. And imagine that for over 3 hours.

Thanks to Kenda!

Look at that tiny screw. It would be a miracle if it could poke a hole in a condom. But there it is in my crappy Kenda tire!

KIMG0199.JPG

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #3 - 03/21/17 at 19:36:33

Papa Bear wrote on 03/21/17 at 18:27:57:

Click over into the other lane in the map view. That's more what it looked like today...

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/21/17 at 19:54:51

My favorite mountain bike tires are Kendas.  Really soft and sticky.  Of course I run them tubeless with sealant so flats aren't a problem.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #5 - 03/21/17 at 20:11:02

Yes they are soft and sticky, great around town but lacking traction off-road - well at least the size I'm running on my 700 wheels.
I run with tubes though. Maybe I should try it without?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Sand traps = near death experiences & I ha
Reply #6 - 03/22/17 at 04:59:23

I don't know of any motorcycle tire that is "screw proof"?

You might want to try the Shinko 230....a nice affordable tire.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1448021014

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 03/22/17 at 05:11:30

Dave wrote on 03/22/17 at 04:59:23:
I don't know of any motorcycle tire that is "screw proof"?

That, and it looks like its time to replace that tire anyway.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/22/17 at 05:24:36

There's a place in the middle of the intersection where all the people turning left pushes the crap to. If you're interested in having a flat, run through that area.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/22/17 at 08:04:50

philthymike wrote on 03/21/17 at 20:11:02:
Yes they are soft and sticky, great around town but lacking traction off-road - well at least the size I'm running on my 700 wheels.
I run with tubes though. Maybe I should try it without?
-----------

Depends what kind of riding you do.  I ride mostly hardpack trials and rock gardens (though not as oftent as I'd like these days).  I love Kenda Karma's.  They are super light and fast, especially for a 29" tire.   I run them tubeless with low pressure and they stick to rocks and hard pack like crazy, even when wet.  And they warn you when you get close to their limits.   They aren't worth a nuts in mud and they float around a lot in looser dirt.   They work perfect for 90% of what I do most.  Other people think they suck.  lol

I'm not sure if I ever used one of their motorcycle tires tough.  I think a screw can screw up any tire if you happen to hit it just right.  

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #10 - 03/22/17 at 10:55:17

@ Dave - Thanks for the helpful link! I have the Dunlop on the front, my Suzuki dealer had it on clearance when I needed to replace the front for inspection. I got a good price on it then and it made a big improvement over the dry rotted stock tire it replaced. Should I get the same for the back tire so they match? Or should I get the screw proof kind instead?  Roll Eyes

@ Gary_in_NJ - I agree, it's past due. It came with the bike when I bought it so no telling how old or how many miles it is.

@ justin_o_guy2 - I know that spot. And then there's the shoulders of roads that collect all manner of dropped hardware, nails, glass, roadkill, oil etc. etc.
I always make a point of pulling over into parking lots if I need to quick stop for whatever reason.

@ ohiomoto - I'll look into the Kenda Karma's since you recommended them. I used to run Kenda Vipers on my trike back in the late 80's and found them good for the varied surfaces I rode it on But noticed asphalt really chewed them up. On my Hybrid I need to ride it pretty far on roads to get to the parks with trails. Those trails are a mix of hard pack, gravel, soft raw dirt with tons of rocks and I also have a penchant for going off-trail and just trail blazing through the woods where I can get away with it. It would be so nice if somebody made as tire that could get traction on  wet leaves. Haven't found that yet.
I'm interested in replacing my twist shifters too. any suggestions for alternatives there?

Oh look a review of the Karma's.
http://www.bikemag.com/blog/kenda_karma_dtc_mountain_bike_tire_review/#6hP8PE...
Hmmm lacking in durability. I think this is my one legitimate complaint with Kenda. I find them lacking durability on bicycle, trike and motorcycle. Seems to be the brand's biggest flaw.
I think I'll look for something with better durability.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 03/22/17 at 11:44:06

The Kenda Karma's are 29" bicycle tires....don't try to mount them on your Savage!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/22/17 at 12:20:09

RE: bicycle tires.  Yeah for your hybrid type riding it's so hard.  The Karmas will get tore up on the road even though the roll pretty well and they will suck on gravel paths unless it's super fine crushed limestone.  You more side knobs to penetrate the lose dirt and gravel, but not on the road.  

I would look cyclocross tires that are narrower and many have semi slick'ish designs.  They are also made to fit on narrow 700c rims.  (Semi-slick MTB tires that are smooth down the middle and have knobs on the side.  They are made to roll fast on hard pack but offer just enough grip in the corners to keep you upright. )

But really your going to have to live with some compromises.  

As for shifters...I'm not sure what's compatible with your bike, but anything Shimano is benchmark for performance and value.  I'm using a rather expensive XTR 1x11 setup but their XT and SLX are just as good and a lot less money.  I think all of these systems might be disc brake only these days and you might find that the gearing range isn't tall enough for road.  (I tend to upgrade parts my bicycles every 4-5 years.  I tell myself I will ride more that way.  Some I find myself drinking more beer as I get older.  I might have to change my upgrade policy. Smiley )

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/22/17 at 12:21:15

Dave wrote on 03/22/17 at 11:44:06:
The Kenda Karma's are 29" bicycle tires....don't try to mount them on your Savage!
--------------

But think of the weight savings!  Grin

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #14 - 03/22/17 at 12:59:26

Dave wrote on 03/22/17 at 11:44:06:

LOL! Actually I could go this route...
http://www.csttires.com/int/moto/dual-spor/c7208/
They'd probably be better suited to the condition of the roads (moon surface) around here  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:22:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Sand traps = near death experiences & I hate K

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.