Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What is a Savage good for ??? (Read 160 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
What is a Savage good for ???
03/21/17 at 12:51:05

I do this Savage vs .....   generally every time I buy a new motorcycle to complement my Savage.   I have tried this complement trick 3 times now and every time I post what a Savage is good for vs whatever it was I just bought.

My original Savage was bone stock, was down on the RPM range and down on HP and torque levels compared to my current engine, so please understand I actually have used different length yardsticks over the years -- so I will only talk about what applies to my current Savage.  One more powerful bike, a V twin 535 Virago got lapped by my mods power-wise and was sold off the following spring, so my next V twin foray was a 800cc bike so it wouldn't wind up getting lapped so easily.

The current other now is a Barcalounger, a heavily modified VS800 Suzuki V twin Intruder camping trip & touring motorcycle.   This one was built strictly for long distance body comfort as I am also an aging stage 1-2 diabetic & warfarin rat (post mechanical heart valve patient) and I am also relatively poor dollar-wise as I am heading off into retirement soon, so well maintained used bikes and bike camping is my steady modus operandi now.

The LS650 Savage isn't a really a comfortable bike, it is purely aggressive and nimble and loud and snarly, complete with backfires and rumbles.   The Savage is FUN to ride around town and up in the mountains.   Nothing romps better than a modded Savage when down on the low budget side of things.  

The Savage simply isn't an interstate bike as it flat beats you to death over a long trip on the fast tilted slabs of the interstates.   It has low tank capacity and gets relatively poor gas mileage (post mod anyway).

The Barcalounger is exactly what is says it is, COMFORTABLE and it handles just about like that.   Not bad, it feels very much like a slightly bigger heavier Savage and it handles  almost identical except for the sensations of extra size and weight.   My feet can rest flat on the pavement and I can move the bike around on them slow parking lot turns very easily.   Gas mileage is a relatively bike normal 50-60 mpg and it has enough grunt to easily get out of the way of stupid things out on the interstate.

However, tilt it over far enough in a tight corner on either side and you find a scary "hard touch down" on a solid across the bottom frame section which is always the very first thing to touch down on the pavement.   And the foot pegs are relatively immobile on this bike because the FRAME cross piece hits the ground first ......

Having literally ground off the stock muffler mount on the Savage, having the frame hit first isn't totally unknown to me up in the mountains, but I modded my way away from that condition accordingly.   I have also ground through on one set of Suzuki pegs on one side by grinding the outer portion off until the inner rods were free to go their merry way.   FAST hard mountain turns require more bike tilt than Suzuki provides with either bike.

So, Barcalounger for longer trips (with camping carry capacity) and a trailered Savage for mountain Romping is my current bike mix.

Wink         .....   Oh, did I mention the Barcalounger carries 8.5 gallons of gas for far fewer open road gas stops?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: What is a Savage good for ???
Reply #1 - 03/21/17 at 13:08:17

Yamaha FZ6 for when I need a comfortable chair to ride. It could use tires...not sure it's gonna get much love this summer...didn't get any last summer. Rode it once in December to get allergy shots and again in January to a party for motorcyclists (got bonus points for showing up in January on a bike). Probably time to sell it. Nice bike, but I don't like nice bikes - too boring.

Building a DRZ400 Street Tracker for a play bike. This one will be a fun bike to ride and it's getting all of my wrenching love.

Both complement my LS650 based cafe racer which is my cool as F bike. I haven't enjoyed a motorcycle so much since I can't remember. Looks great, rides great, handles great...reminds me why I have loved motorcycles for 40+ years.

Saw a Honda Grom that made me look three times. It reminds me of the '71 CT70H I had growing up. I loved that bike...I'm sure I'd love a Grom for a play bike. It better not make me look a fourth time.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #2 - 03/21/17 at 16:38:55

Age and $ limit me to one bike. Modifications have made the S40 near perfect for my requirements. Longer shocks and 4" FC greatly improve riding comfort. Engine now has the oomph for high altitude and the gearing to cruse comfortably all day at 60-65 MPH , AND get 50-55 MPG.    

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #3 - 03/21/17 at 17:55:24

I now have highly modified LS666 and my better half has a lightly modded Vstar 650. The V is a darn good bike. It has nice ergonomics (except the clutch which sucks), Is very predictable, handles nicely but in the nicest nicely predictable way, and is quite smooth on the highway if a bit rough around town. A better seat might cure that.
Then there's my Thumpy, which snarls and growls and makes this guttural machine gun popping that clears city streets of pedestrians crossing against the light like rats leaving a sinking ship. Yes I have an exhaust leak. No I won't bother to fix it.
Thumpy runs amok on backroads, kicks ass and takes names around town, beats Herley Hefferson's to snot in acceleration and overall handling  Cheesy
And gives me the Don't worry be happy grin the whole way home from work as I blast past the endless lines of cagers stuck in their queue that guarantees a long painful stop at every single light along the way.

I respect the limits and capabilities of both bikes. The V is like a cautious old codger that focuses on getting there but not on how you get there. It couldn't care less.
Thumpy is this cantankerous little brat, much in common with the household puppy, that just wants to go go go and go some more and wants to do it as energetically as it can. It takes no prisoners and makes no excuses. And slobbers your face afterwards. It actually doesn't do that  Grin

As far choices go there aren't better matches for the personalities of the respective owners of said bikes. My better half loves the V for everything it's worth and I the same with my LS666. But I'll gladly borrow the V if I have to leave for an extended trip beyond my casual riding zone.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #4 - 03/21/17 at 20:04:10

Upon review by my better half I need to amend my previous posting. She felt I needed to add that her bike is very intimidating to hear. Much like she is (shhhhh  Wink)
She's got Vance & Hines pipes that make her bike about twice as loud as the big HD across the alleyway. To me it sounds at idle much like a trawler - but you didn't hear that from me.
So mild mannered but very, extremely intimidating Vstar.
Thumpy runs circles around it  Grin

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #5 - 03/21/17 at 21:07:49

Mike,

There is a guy that makes a fix for the lousy clutch on your V-Star.

The product is called The Clever Lever:

http://theclevver.com/index.htm

The Clever Lever makes the clutch function like it should and it is not a lot of money. I had one on my V-Star and when I sold it on Craig's I got $200.00 more than Blue Book because of how good the clutch was.

Kenny G Undecided

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 03/21/17 at 21:08:48

Tha Savage is a fine machine. It takes many forms for many different purposes. It is a blank canvas , it is a ball of clay make what you will with it. It has it's faults , most of them have been corrected by our outstanding members. The most important thing that everyone seems to forget about, a old timer passed this on to me,the true pleasures of riding a big single can be measured by the grin on ones face as you step off it after a good ride ! It's just freakin fun to ride ! In any form !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #7 - 03/21/17 at 21:29:17

I've only been riding for a few months and the S40 is my second bike (I started with a 2010 Ninja 250 and quickly discovered I really wanted a cruiser).

In my short time I've formed the opinion that the Savage/S40 feels like a bike that has nothing to prove, and yet could probably prove it anyway  Smiley

As for looks, I find that people either don't even see it - or they love it. There seems to be no middle ground.

Personally, I just love the torque - no frantic gear changes to get up to speed, just twist the throttle and do what ya gotta do  Cool

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #8 - 03/21/17 at 21:31:49

Oh, and it's a great bike to learn maintenance and mods on.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 03/21/17 at 22:00:14

The Little Bike that Could !

I did one 150 mile trip on my Savage , came home and went to work on the Seat !

It has had a HD Soft-Tail (?) Dyna (?)  seat ever since .   Yea , the seat is as wide as I am and is GOOD .  Wink
I found that HD FloorBoards (modified) fit into the factory slots just fine and are very comfy ...  
I found the Handlebar of my Sportster work better on my Savage and give me great leverage for tight turns.  
I found a Fork-Brace is a VERY-GOOD thing to have on a Savage while doing those tight turns !
I found HD-Sportster shocks (12.5") gets the Savage up off the ground enough to help me make those tight turns.
I'm beginning to think I drive a Suzuki/HD Hybrid .... but then I get on my Sportster and remember what a Light weight toy the Savage really is !  Wink  

and then there is the 25 tooth front pulley  , WoW --- 6th gear , O.D. !!!  Shocked

« Last Edit: 03/22/17 at 07:39:40 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #10 - 03/21/17 at 23:14:10

MMRanch, did you need to modify the cables or any of the wiring when you changed to the Sportster handlebars?

I've been looking at options for handlebars and really like the Sportster bars.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 03/22/17 at 07:33:45

Oh yea , that's what a Savage is best at ... Modifying !   Wink

Been so long ago on the bars ??? I think I already had a 4" longer S.Steel braided (Stronger no expansion ) brake line .      

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #12 - 03/22/17 at 13:31:27

Kenny G wrote on 03/21/17 at 21:07:49:
Mike,

There is a guy that makes a fix for the lousy clutch on your V-Star.

The product is called The Clever Lever:

http://theclevver.com/index.htm

The Clever Lever makes the clutch function like it should and it is not a lot of money. I had one on my V-Star and when I sold it on Craig's I got $200.00 more than Blue Book because of how good the clutch was.

Kenny G Undecided

That's ideal! And not terribly priced. I will get her this for her birthday along with those highway bars she wants.
Thanks!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #13 - 03/22/17 at 13:48:26

mike,

You are welcome.

I know she is going to love that V-Star with the Clever Lever.

Kenny G

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #14 - 03/22/17 at 14:19:14

Thanks fur the reply ☺

I'll look into it some more

MMRanch wrote on 03/22/17 at 07:33:45:
Oh yea , that's what a Savage is best at ... Modifying !   Wink

Been so long ago on the bars ??? I think I already had a 4" longer S.Steel braided (Stronger no expansion ) brake line .      

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:37:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › What is a Savage good for ???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.