Correct OEM Spark Plug (Read 732 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Correct OEM Spark Plug
Reply #60 - 04/03/17 at 17:54:10

Enlighten us!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #61 - 04/03/17 at 18:35:55

This is the book everyone wanting to learn about getting more performance  should read. In this book they use a Yamaha SR 500 as a example , parallels with the Savage engine quite well. All the theory , all the math , it's a fantastic book , has been in print for many many years and is still relevant today. The teacher I had used this book in his engine performance class Dema Elgin of Elgin Performance Cams. You can find it new or used online.

Four Stroke Performance Tuning by A. Graham Bell

It's worth every penny !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #62 - 04/03/17 at 18:40:16

Oh yeah! I've got a copy around here somewhere. It's probably 20 years old by now!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #63 - 04/03/17 at 18:42:40

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #64 - 04/03/17 at 19:50:16

Dema taught us to pick a cam,but the cam had to have a specific use drag , off road , road racing  and then we would pick the engine and then the math begins bore & stroke , compression ,intake & carb to match cfms required by cam & piston exhaust runner lengths. So I did  the SR 500 and the cam I had bartered over way too many beers for some pristine BSA fenders and Victor 441 tank for a new mega cycle cam my SR project. Turned out to be a very fast engine ! This book is filled with great stuff and it's in depth but not so much that you won't be able to learn from it.
Batman you will find a formula for exhaust runner length , paper & pencil & calculator will be needed !
I still refer back to this book , twenty five years later.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #65 - 04/04/17 at 13:20:26

Ruttley .Yes heard of this book in earlier posts ,will check it out.thanks!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #66 - 04/04/17 at 13:46:37

Another great book is, Design And Tuning Of Competition Engines, by Philip Smith. Mine is old, like 1966.  It's a surprise to see that not much has changed over the years. Those old dudes were smart.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #67 - 04/04/17 at 15:38:17

hotrod wrote on 04/04/17 at 13:46:37:
Another great book is, Design And Tuning Of Competition Engines, by Philip Smith. Mine is old, like 1966.  It's a surprise to see that not much has changed over the years. Those old dudes were smart.

In 1966 the ICE was already over 75 years old. Of course they knew a lot about engines. Look at the advancements through the 1940's and 50's alone. Before the jet era Pratt and Whitney, Allison and Rolls Royce built the most advanced engines the word had ever seen. Race car engines were making over 100hp/liter. By the 1960's the ICE was well known and established technology. It certainly wasn't the dark ages.

Yes, the basic formula of suck-squeeze-bang-blow hasn't changed in 50 years, but almost everything about the ICE has. When that book was written points and condensers buried inside of a distributor and mechanical fuel injection were state of the art. Few could ever imagine computer controlled engine management that has given us variable valve timing, direct ignition, electronic fuel injection, HCCI...we can go on for pages.

« Last Edit: 04/06/17 at 05:13:42 by Gary_in_NJ »  

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #68 - 04/04/17 at 20:50:48

Many of these type of books have been in print for years and years but not many include motorcycle engines. ICE is a ICE but to me when your only working with one cylinder , makes me want to get it as close to perfect as possible. I love my Thumpers , they are dinosaurs in a modern world , for me it's a thrill to ride them ! I don't care if I ever reach 105 mph again , even if every ride is a journey , I'll enjoy every mile and get off smiling !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #69 - 04/05/17 at 18:48:33

Ruttly wrote on 04/04/17 at 20:50:48:
I'll enjoy every mile and get off smiling !

And that is exactly why I ride!

Most of these books talk about intake plenums and header collectors. That's something unknown to a thumper but the rest of the book usually applies.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #70 - 04/05/17 at 19:11:04

Yeah some people golf , bowl , gamble , baseball , video games
I just ride , it repairs my soul , puts my mind at ease , gets the blood flowing , kinda like a mini vacation !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #71 - 04/05/17 at 19:19:38

I live about 45  seconds from a main road. In that 45 seconds, while I leave the neighborhood in 2nd gear, my whole attitude changes. It can be the worst day ever but in that first 45 seconds, my whole world changes. The bike and I are warming up together, so to speak.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #72 - 04/05/17 at 19:39:25

No matter how I try to explain it , words can't explain how it makes me feel

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #73 - 04/08/17 at 21:55:27

For total overall performance the SR500 is a better engine , but I already have one , so I needed another project. RYCA tracker original plan was find the donor bike ,put nice exhaust on it and rejet stock carb and call it done.
But oh no , two things changed all that , first is I found this forum and all goodies to be had from here and a great membership complete with technical support and second was I found my donor engine leaking oil between the two main cases. Darn the bad luck now I had to tear down a engine with only 809 miles on it. Upside of that was I get to build the engine.
Finding that this engine has its draw backs , a simply horrible exhaust port and a crankshaft/flywheel/rotor that is incredibly heavy and flimsy clutch basket , amongst some other issues. But it has two outstanding attributes it's a big 650 single with a happy button.
I will spare you all the long a$$ list of engine mods , but it is much improved over a stocker as far as power , now we will find out if it will stand up to the test of time !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:30:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Correct OEM Spark Plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.