Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How long to trust an AGM battery? (Read 172 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
How long to trust an AGM battery?
03/20/17 at 21:23:36

I have an AGM that I have had in the bike since September 2013. My bike is stored in a garage (no excessive hot and cold exposure). My battery is showing no signs of trouble, but I am about to get into my "riding season" with several long weekend rides and the last thing I want is a dead battery whilst off having a good time.

Considering average battery life and the fact that AGMs give no sign of dying...they just die, am I wasting money going ahead and getting a new battery to replace this 3.5 year old AGM?

If I get a new one, I was going to probably go with youzguys recommendation of he Big Crank: http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX15L-Battery.html

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Re: How long to trust an AGM battery?
Reply #1 - 03/20/17 at 22:50:02

My crappy wet cell battery has dropped low on liquid a few times, lights have been left on and drained it by accident a couple of times, it's three years old and it's still in very healthy condition. Fires up instantly and the charge is always about 12.6 at least if I check it first thing. Get yourself a cheap multimeter and check it occasionally, if it's still got at least 12.6 volts after you've let the charge on the plates dissipate, then I doubt it's going to suddenly die on you.

What hurts AGM batteries is if they are regularly discharged down to about 11.8V or 12.0V which is not going to happen due to it being constantly charged, and there's nothing to top up. I can't see why it shouldn't give you 10 years of happy voltage.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 03/21/17 at 05:09:21

[quote author=232435273D393C3C23500 link=1490070216/0#0 date=1490070216]I have an AGM that I have had in the bike since September 2013. My bike is stored in a garage (no excessive hot and cold exposure). My battery is showing no signs of trouble, but I am about to get into my "riding season" with several long weekend rides and the last thing I want is a dead battery whilst off having a good time.

Considering average battery life and the fact that AGMs give no sign of dying...they just die, am I wasting money going ahead and getting a new battery to replace this 3.5 year old AGM?

Don't let me stop you from spending money, but I don't change out a working battery. If it's holding a healthy static charge (12.6-12.8VDC overnight) and doesn't drop below 10.5VDC under cranking load - then it gets used. A well cared for battery can last anywhere from 3 days to 6 years - so I tend not to over think it.

You could always keep a new backup in the garage, but if your current  battery (pun) lasts two more riding seasons (and it could), then you really wasted money on the new battery.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/21/17 at 05:35:23

If you want a backup - then buy an AGM battery that comes with the acid in a pack that you need to add.

You can keep the battery indefinitely, and then when you need it you can activate it, and give it a charge.  You will have a working battery in a just a few hours.  As if you don't yet have enough stuff to pack in your truck when you haul the bike to the Dragon.....you could then throw in the spare battery and a charger!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 03/21/17 at 06:27:18

I checked the battery this morning and it read 12.24v. This is after my last ride being about two weeks ago. Is 12.24v ok for 2 weeks of sitting?

Haven't had a chance to check it under load, may try that later this week.

Dave,
Are you making note of my back seat being crammed full of stuff?  Wink  I do tend to overpack, but hey...when someone says "I need a purple whizzergidet with a half-moon twist at the top" you can bet I probably have one in there somewhere.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 03/21/17 at 06:36:03

stewmills wrote on 03/21/17 at 06:27:18:
I checked the battery this morning and it read 12.24v. This is after my last ride being about two weeks ago. Is 12.24v ok for 2 weeks of sitting?

Haven't had a chance to check it under load, may try that later this week..

Maybe. Probably. I'd charge it or go for a ride. Check the voltage after the charge/ride and then after an overnight.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 03/21/17 at 06:39:44

Thanks Gary.  I'll see about getting some measurements this week and report back.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/21/17 at 06:44:05

stewmills wrote on 03/21/17 at 06:27:18:
----------------------------------

Is 12.24v ok?  

My answer is very simple:  If it starts you bike, then it's OK.  When it doesn't, it's a problem.  Wink

IP Logged
JohnnyBeeGood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Leslie, Michigan
Reply #8 - 03/21/17 at 14:21:31

Pack some jumper cables and run it til you're stranded.  It's a good way to meet new people and make friends.  Or buy a battery every other year and feed the landfill.  I like cheap and eco-friendly, especially when eco-friendly happens to be cheap.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 03/21/17 at 19:30:46

I feel sad that you guys aren't riding to the dragon ,just at the dragon.Half the fun is getting there.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 03/22/17 at 04:34:31

batman wrote on 03/21/17 at 19:30:46:
I feel sad that you guys aren't riding to the dragon ,just at the dragon.Half the fun is getting there.

Some ride to it....some don't.

I don't, as I generally have to leave after a City Council meeting and my trip doesn't start until 8 - 10 PM.  It is a 5 hour drive in my car if I hustle, and I don't get to the area until 1-3 AM!  On that first night I sleep in my trailer.  Also when I am in a hurry to get there....the first 4 hours of the trip is on I-75, and it is a horribly busy highway between Cincinnati and Knoxville.  Riding a motorcycle on I-75 isn't much fun - the last hour of my trip is a much calmer ride as I have left the interstate and the mountain scenery and curves would make a nice bike ride.  And maybe most important for me.....my Savage is a Cafe' conversion, and I don't have any place for luggage.

MMRanch rides to the Dragon from Lynchurg, and he has found a really nice route - and part of it is the Cherohala Skyway!  Oldfeller and old_rider haul their bikes sometimes - trailer sometimes.  Verslagen and Lancer have to haul the bikes as they are coming from far out west.

When I am retired and can take more time.....I could ride down US 27 which is known as Dixie Highway - it is a bit like the East/West Route 66 was, as Dixie Highway was the major north/south route before the interstate highway system was built.  The road is often "Main Street" to most of the small towns along the way.....it was a road that even provided the Stage Couch route in this area.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_27

« Last Edit: 03/22/17 at 09:27:06 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 03/22/17 at 06:23:17

batman wrote on 03/21/17 at 19:30:46:

I would if my wife wouldn't kill me, not to mention that 75% of my route is up interstate 85/75 and 285 around Atlanta. If I had a riding buddy to make the ride with in a desperate situation I would consider it as a last resort, but I just don't feel comfortable on those long busy roads solo. Also I leave after work and my ride up is 4+ hours at night as well as on the way home. I have night vision issues and that's not a good combination either. Plus the agreement with my wife when I got the bike (my first bike at age 38) was that I would stay off the interstate.

We have a lot of fun at the Dragon and surrounding areas to make up for it.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 03/22/17 at 08:51:17

Well everyone as different circumstances to deal with,we all need to do it the best we can . I wish you all a safe trip and a memorable time!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 03/25/17 at 13:33:35

I rode a good bit yesterday. Checked the battery upon arriving home and it was 12.34v. Checked again today 22 hours later and it is 12.29v.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 03/25/17 at 16:11:33

It's holding its charge quite nicely. Enjoy your riding season with that well cared for battery.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:22:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How long to trust an AGM battery?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.