Send Topic Print
25T Kawasaki Pulley (Read 2382 times)
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Re: 25T Kawasaki Pulley
Reply #15 - 05/24/17 at 17:41:14

Just received the Kawasaki pulley... very well modified indeed. Thanks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 05/24/17 at 17:57:17

JLC wrote on 05/24/17 at 17:41:14:
Just received the Kawasaki pulley... very well modified indeed. Thanks.

Sorry that it took me so long to get it machined and powder coated.....I have gotten slammed at my day job and I had to fit the work in when I could squeeze in 20 or 30 minutes at a time.

As much as you like this pulley now - you will love it once you have it installed! Smiley

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 05/24/17 at 20:04:27

Any thoughts on this mod for a bike that sees gravel?  I realize a chain conversion is probably the best for a scrambler style bike, but I do like the low maintenance of the belt.  My concern is not so much tearing a belt, but the increase diameter of the pulley, pulling rocks etc to close to the case?

Also, is anyone running this mod with 340mm shocks?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 05/25/17 at 04:23:15

Yes, I have this pulley on my Cafe' bike with the 340mm shocks, and it works fine.  You do need to run the belt a bit looser with any of the longer shocks, as the increased swing arm angle at rest results in the belt getting tighter as the shocks compress.  I recommend that you put the bike on a jack, remove the shocks, and then lower the bike until there is a straight line between the swing arm pivot point, the swing arm, and the rear axle.  When all 3 of these are in a straight line - that is the point at which the belt will be the tightest.  Adjust the belt tension at this point, then jack the bike up and put the shocks back on - then see how much play is in the belt.....and keep the belt adjusted at that amount of play thereafter.

I don't know exactly to tell you about gravel.  I have ridden on gravel roads once or twice a year - but I don' make a habit of it.  The front pulley is not likely to get any gravel in it, as the belt engages at the top.  The rear pulley is most apt to get gravel, as the belt enters at the bottom.  If a piece of gravel is small enough to get embedded into a groove in the rubber belt - it likely will pass through at the front pulley.  There have been members that get gravel stuck in the pulley or the belt, and sometimes it will make a hole in the belt.  Youzuguyz in Texas rides on gravel roads frequently, and he has the stock belt guards in place and he has never reported having frequent problems.

I was able to find another used pulley and it was delivered yesterday.  Part of the process involves cleaning the pulley when it arrives, and getting these clean enough to powder coat does take a considerable amount of time and effort.  The Kawasaki donor bikes evidently don't have oil seals that keep all the oil inside the engine!  This is good news as the pulleys are never very rusty - but it is a chore to clean them up.  It often includes a week soaking in gasoline, a scrubbing,pressure washing, cleaning in my ultrasonic cleanser, and a bit more scrubbing!  It is time consuming to get the dirt out of the corners of all those teeth - the 25 teeth have 100 corners to clean!

IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/25/17 at 11:17:36

Thanks for the reply Dave.  

Got mine installed this morning, impressive craftsmanship.   Test ride will have to wait until tonight or tomorrow, so I'll post impressions afterward.

IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #20 - 05/25/17 at 11:51:39

xaman wrote on 05/25/17 at 11:17:36:
Thanks for the reply Dave.  

Got mine installed this morning, impressive craftsmanship.   Test ride will have to wait until tonight or tomorrow, so I'll post impressions afterward.

Man you didn't waste any time I'm assuming it showed up Wednesday then since the post office said thursday.

IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/25/17 at 18:49:33

[quote author=794D5C4E4E405813122B0 link=1490012095/15#20 date=1495738299]xaman wrote on 05/25/17 at 11:17:36:
Man you didn't waste any time I'm assuming it showed up Wednesday then since the post office said thursday.

Yes sir, it surprised me and arrived Wednesday evening.  

I snuck in a 15 mile test this evening, and preliminarily I'm super pleased as it seems to have made a significant difference in relaxed top speed, without a huge or very noticeable loss in low speed torque.  I really like it, feels like the engine was made for this gearing.

The only downer is that the speedo, which has been spot on before, is now reading about 6 mph slow at 55.  That's going to be important for me to remember.  This is my back road bike, which necessarily involves small town speed zones and lots of school zones.  I need to be careful now.

Thumbs up on the upgrade for anyone "thinking" about it.  

IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 06/29/17 at 19:51:56

Just a quick endorsement -- in the last 4 weeks I've put just over 2000 miles on a trip with the new pulley, in almost every foreseeable riding situation (at least that I'm likely to encounter -- flats, mountains, twisty, straight, gravel, uphill, etc).  It's a fantastic upgrade, worth every penny.

The only time I even thought about it was on a steep rutted/gravel incline and I had to slip the clutch a hint in first.  No problem.  The new overdrive gear in 5th is worth any slight inconvenience in first.  

Beautiful mod, thanks Dave. (And Jarhead for the nice deal).  Smiley

IP Logged
bradyGOAT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 07/06/17 at 09:51:42

Hey Dave,

Do you have any available, and what is the estimated time it takes to create/ship/receive this mod? Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 07/06/17 at 11:26:58

I have a few pulleys ready to machine the next rainy day.  Seeing as you are planning a road trip.....I will be sure to get one machined for you this weekend.

The mailing generally only takes a couple days to most anywhere in the US....unless you are "waaaaay" out west.

Dave

IP Logged
bradyGOAT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 07/06/17 at 13:13:53

Dave wrote on 07/06/17 at 11:26:58:
I have a few pulleys ready to machine the next rainy day.  Seeing as you are planning a road trip.....I will be sure to get one machined for you this weekend.

The mailing generally only takes a couple days to most anywhere in the US....unless you are "waaaaay" out west.

Dave

Awesome! I'm new to the buying process here...should I PM you my email? Thanks

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 07/06/17 at 13:21:04

You can't PM anything until you get to 10 posts (you have 2 more to go).

If you click on my name at the left side of anything I post.....it will show you my email address and you can email me.

IP Logged
2nosabes
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 07/08/17 at 20:56:14

I have a quick question for you!

Compared to the stock S40 pulley how much more closer does it bring the rear tire to the front of the swingarm?

I will be running  a 150/90 rear tire and that alone can be an issue clearing. I have not mounted it yet but from some quick measurements it will be tight  Grin

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #28 - 07/08/17 at 21:22:51

I run a 150/90 15 rear on mine, but I have changed BOTH pulleys. With both Kaw pulleys,25 and 65, the axle moves BACK about 4mm. With just the front pulley changed I think it moves the axle forward about 3-4mm. MMranch runs a 25 front pulley and a 140/90 15 rear and he is close. With a 150 you will be REAL close, if not rubbing. You may have to mod the swingarm some for clearance. Also you will have to swap out some bolts up under the rear fender for button heads.  I run a cast 3.5'' wide rear rim, with the stock rim you will get a un-natural profile with a 150 tire. Also, when the tire is new it will be taller than after a couple thousand miles.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #29 - 07/08/17 at 21:30:20

Also, you may have a problem rubbing on the front of the rear fender.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 13:37:09

General CategoryThe Marketplace › 25T Kawasaki Pulley

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.