Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
25T Kawasaki Pulley
03/20/17 at 05:14:55

Pulley kit to convert your bike to run a Kawasaki 25 tooth pulley.

$165 buys a good used Kawasaki pulley that has the machined to fit the Savage and has been powdercoated black, a new locking washer, and 2 stainless screws to replace the existing screws that have tall hex heads.  Shipping is included to anywhere a USPS small Flat Rate box will go for the current $ 7.15 shipping rate.  Availability is subject to my stock of used pulleys.

NOTE: The price will be reduced to $160 if you send me a check or money order for payment and I don't have a PayPal fee deducted from your payment.  

Link to Stewmills installation thread:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1484806731

This is an excellent upgrade for the stock or modified engine.  The stock Savage pulley is 23 tooth - the Kawasaki pulley is 25 tooth and provides a 8.7% overdrive - and this reduces the engine rpm at cruise.  The engine with stock gearing, 140/80-15 tire and 5 speed transmission is spinning at 4,676 rpm at 70 mph, and this pulley conversion will reduce that to 4,302 rpm.  Although that doesn't sound like much - it is more than the change when shifting from 4th to 5th gear (8.1% change).

The Kawasaki Pulley needs to be machined to fit on the Savage, both the front and back sides of the pulley have to cut down, and the metal is very hard.  

Here are photos of a used pulley before machining, and a completed pulley for comparison:

« Last Edit: 05/06/17 at 04:21:18 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: 25T Kawasaki Pulley
Reply #1 - 03/22/17 at 07:51:15

Bump for Dave.

This is a relatively easy install and simple mods for the mechanically inclined. You'll be amazed at what notable difference such a small pulley upgrade can make. You won't be disappointed, and Dave's craftsmanship is top notch.  Cool

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #2 - 03/22/17 at 08:04:18

stewmills wrote on 03/22/17 at 07:51:15:
Bump for Dave.

This is a relatively easy install and simple mods for the mechanically inclined. You'll be amazed at what notable difference such a small pulley upgrade can make. You won't be disappointed, and Dave's craftsmanship is top notch.  Cool

Ditto !   Simple and worth while modification .

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #3 - 05/02/17 at 10:56:01

Does this increase the top end? Or is it just for comfort while cruising?

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/02/17 at 12:38:09

TheNaughtyLemur wrote on 05/02/17 at 10:56:01:
Does this increase the top end? Or is it just for comfort while cruising?

Well....I am not sure that is a simple question to answer.....until somebody does some "actual" tests to find out.  But with a stock engine it likely won't increase the overall speed - the goal is to reduce the engine rpm when cruising in high gear at speeds over 60 mph, and make the bike better suited for long trips at elevated speeds - it will drop the engine down from 4,676 rpm at 70 mph to 4,302 rpm with the stock size tire....and that is a noticeable and welcome change.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/06/17 at 04:29:24

FL Savage has a pulley on the way....it was mailed yesterday.

I have finished machining the pulley for Steddy58, and I will finish the one for Jarhead CO today - then powdercoat them both....they will be mailed on Monday.

I found 2 pulleys on eBay using search words I hadn't tried before - so I will have 2 pulleys arriving next week for machining.  If you want to claim one for yourself.....let me know.

I have bumped the price up $10 to $160 as the price of used pulleys is climbing.....and if you use PayPal for payment you need to cover the fee - so the price is $165 if you use PayPal.

« Last Edit: 05/08/17 at 04:46:14 by Dave »  

IP Logged
dustystranger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/09/17 at 19:04:29

Email me at dustystranger43@gmail   with your mailing address so I can send you a money order. thanx Bill

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/15/17 at 03:41:21

The pulley for Jarhead-CO is supposed to arrive at his address today.

The pulley for Steddy was mailed last week - I have no idea how long it takes to arrive in the UK.

The pulleys for JLC and dustystranger have a bit more machining and then the powdercoating.  I got all if the backside and some of the front done this weekend.....sharpening the cutting bits takes a bit of time as they are carbide, and I dull 5 bits with each pulley.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/17/17 at 05:35:50

Well I had a little setback last night.  I tried sharpening the cutting tools to a nice sharp point.....I took extra time to get them really sharp and at a really tight point.  They cut really well and the chips were great and they were cutting really smoothly.....for about 6 passes each.  Evidently the sharp point dulls really fast - all 5 of them became dull while cutting the front side of a single pulley...and it still needs about 10 more passes to get if finished.  I have a meeting tonight and won't be able to work on it tonight - so I will sharpen the bits and finish the machining on Thursday night, and I will get them powder coated over the weekend and ship them on Monday.    

IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #9 - 05/18/17 at 17:13:27

I have a pulley that Dave shipped me last week. I traded my S40 in if anyone is interested or if you want it back to ship to someone else let me know.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/19/17 at 04:04:03

Jarhead-CO wrote on 05/18/17 at 17:13:27:
I have a pulley that Dave shipped me last week. I traded my S40 in if anyone is interested or if you want it back to ship to someone else let me know.

The market for good used pulleys is not good at the moment, and I have sold and machined every one that I have - so if somebody needs a pulley right away - buy the one that Jarhead-CO has.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 05/19/17 at 07:01:37

...What Dave said. I just got back from a trip to the mountains with a group of about 30 big Harley's and other big bikes. With my recently installed KAW pulley I hung right there with them all weekend and rarely ever touched 5th gear (now known as 'overdrive').

If you think you want one, get it. You won't be disappointed!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/19/17 at 07:21:17

I sent a PM, just awaiting a reply.

I might not get it on my current bike but I can toss it on another.

IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #13 - 05/19/17 at 21:08:56

Eegore wrote on 05/19/17 at 07:21:17:
 I sent a PM, just awaiting a reply.

I might not get it on my current bike but I can toss it on another.

Hey sorry I got mandated so had to work 16 hours today, I had one person PM me before you if he backs out I'll let you know tomorrow.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/19/17 at 22:15:34

Just tell him I outbid him!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home