I got one for the gurus,

2009 with 5595 KM's
Free flowing petcock
K&N cone filter
Dyna pipe
150 main
1/2 spacer
55 pilot (?)

The main problem is my engine is cutting out when the throttle is closed.

With a 52.5 pilot at 2.5 turns it starts and idles fine but revs like turd. I get a very weird choking (sputtery) sound at 1/8 throttle and backfires through the air filter. Once past the pilot jet it revs fine, but getting past the "choke" is laborious. So that being said I thought *lean* and moved up to a 55 pilot

With a 55 pilot at 1 turn it starts, idles and revs great. However, when the throttle is released or let off completely idle drops and the engine cuts out. I can blip the throttle a bit in order to keep it from stumbling to low and then the idle stabilizes.

I've cleaned the carb, as well as the TEV (tried my luck with a washer/spacer), checked the float (which was a bit low of spec.), new sparky, fresh gas, and sealed the pipe. Maybe an air leak or cut the TEV spring?

Anyone have ideas?

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Carb question
Reply #1 - 03/19/17 at 15:44:34

I believe you set the float level to high.AT idle your  ok but when you bring the needle off seat  your getting a slug of gas ,making the motor stumble,due to running to rich. when you rev it your using fuel and the bowl level drops a bit , and when you return to idle the vacuum in the carb goes high pulling extra fuel through the TEV valve and the main jets as the slide is run by vacuum and doesn't close right away because the RPM is still costing down.(again your running to rich flooding the carb). the larger idle jet isn't helping!Back fires through the carb can only happen if there's to much fuel,lean carbs only cause after firing out the tailpipe usually at shutdown, or closing the throttle between shifts.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
Reply #2 - 03/20/17 at 13:04:08

Sorry, when I said "a bit low of spec" I meant the float height not the fuel level. I adjusted the float from 25mm to 27.5 (off of the gasket). I will give it a shot, bump back down to a 52.5 and see if it makes a difference.

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/20/17 at 13:36:51

Before you fix it, test it.

Clear tubing on the bowl drain held up by the carb will show exactly how much is in the bowl.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
Reply #4 - 03/20/17 at 14:19:17

JOG- How far should it be from the seam?

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
Reply #5 - 03/20/17 at 14:25:50

It only takes me a few minutes to pull the carb. I have now drop the fuel level even more (float sits just above spec) and popped the 52.5 back in to no avail, it's doing the same thing. Should I try raise it?

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 03/20/17 at 14:32:02

Not above it, IIRC, right at it. I doubt being 1/8" below is a problem.
Bet someone here knows Egzaklee.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
Reply #7 - 03/20/17 at 14:59:56

K I'm way low like 3/8"-1/2". I'll raise it up to the seam and so how it does.

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 03/20/17 at 15:24:42

I don't think we've ever determined what causes shutoff at throttle chop.
Normally we just say increase the idle speed.

TEV is meant to prevent backfire at shift with extra air throttle chop for shift.  
And playing with the spring can get you into trouble really quick cause we are way to heavy handed.
Adding a washer is the safest route, but maybe the opposite way is the way you need to go.
Don't shorten it unless you got a backup.

WWW   IP Logged
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
Reply #9 - 03/20/17 at 15:39:52

So I raised the fuel level to 1/8" below the seam and have a 52.5 in place which has the choking minimized (not quite gone) but still dying. I pulled the carb off again the raise a bit more but in the process I found fuel in the intake, am I too high now? Maybe a 50 pilot?

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 03/20/17 at 16:12:42

If it's dumping gas in the intake it could be in the oil. Snotta good thing.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 03/20/17 at 16:16:45

ulled the carb off again the raise a bit more but in the process I found fuel in the intake, am I too high now?

Check it with the tubing.
Above the top of the bowl is too high.

I'm not a carb Goo Roo, I don't even understand why having the float set up to never allow the bowl to get over half full would be a problem.

IP Logged
Stefinstein
YaBB Newbies

Mad Scientist

Vancouver
Reply #12 - 03/20/17 at 17:05:26

I have checked it with clear hose through out the whole process and it has never gone above the seam of the bowl. It was actually 1/8" under the seam this last time which is the highest its been so far. No fuel in the oil that I can see or smell. It does correlate with what batman is talking about though it's sucking fuel in from somewhere at high vacuum.

Give my creation LIFE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 03/20/17 at 17:17:50

Stock petcock?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 03/20/17 at 17:19:05

Did you replace the main jet?you should check to see that you placed the brass washer that fits between it and the needle jet body (the cylinder with all the tiny holes in it)If not the jet can fall the thickness of the washer and that could dump extra gas in the carb as well, causing the same symptoms .the washer fits around the threads on the main jet and fits up inside the carb body.It gets missed sometimes because it tends to stick to the old jet and take on the same color as the jet.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:23:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.