Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taller seat height for tall RYCA owners? (Read 109 times)
eastsidedirtykid
YaBB Newbies

Push it to the
limit!

Taller seat height for tall RYCA owners?
03/17/17 at 09:06:58

Hey Forum! I am currently in the process of deciding what I want to do with my bike by either upgrading the shocks to a taller set, OR had this crazy idea where I would put something between the RYCA fiberglass tail section and the seat pan which would raise the seat. I am 6 foot 2 220 lbs and you could imagine I look pretty big on the bike.

I had my bike on a rear stand and when I sat on it curiously, I thought to myself how much more comfortable I would be if the seat was this high. I measured the rear wheel off the ground and it was roughly about an inch and a half, doesn't sound far at all!

So with the help from a crummy program for my mac, I was able to edit this bike a little bit how I would imagine (ROUGHLY of coarse!) what the answer would be for us taller riders before spending a wad of cash on taller shocks.

As you can see there will be a gap where the cutout is on the fiberglass tail section where you would access the front bolts that screw the seat down on top of where the tank is screwed down, and also the part of the side panels where it covers those bolts will be cut off, and smoothed out so it's an even triangle shape.

The gap above the side panel and where the fiberglass seat would be, I would guess would be about that inch and a half, maybe inch and a quarter that I desire! Also, the seat section would line up with the bottom of the tank, so the line won't be lost!

The only downside I can see for now is that the leather seat would be above the tank so might not flow too well, but I am definitely willing to live with that if the bike obtains that taller seat height I am dreaming of. Let me know what you all think! Maybe use a thick piece of wood for now just for the trial run?

Whoever's bike this is, congrats this is a great looking bike!!

raised_seat_compared_001.png
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Taller seat height for tall RYCA owners?
Reply #1 - 03/17/17 at 09:44:10

Simple solution = taller foam

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/17/17 at 09:46:58

You built a nice looking RYCA!

After a couple of summers of riding my Cafe' around...some days from dark until dark while chasing Oldfeller and MMRanch around Tennessee and North Carolina - I cam to the realization that the RYCA seat has too little padding on it.  The edges of the seat has "zero" foam, and the back of my legs would get sore.

I took my seat part, and had a local upholstery shop make me a new seat with more foam.  It is much better now!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eastsidedirtykid
YaBB Newbies

Push it to the
limit!

Reply #3 - 03/17/17 at 12:28:08

That actually does sound like a simple solution! Definitely will look into that. I've definitely experienced the soreness behind my legs after riding for a few hours!

I WISH my bike looked like that! But I'm still kind of obsessed with a rat rod type look and love my bare metal tank. I'm one of those weirdos that like rust when it's done right, and on the OUTSIDE of the tank haha so I'm actually looking forward to a light rust look. Here is a pic of mine with my buddy riding it and me on his r3

rycaforumsize.png
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 03/17/17 at 12:39:55

Three things I learned from that photo;

1. Your bike looks great
2. You don't look like a gorilla humping a football riding it - you fit on it
3. Your shock, while compressed, doesn't look sagged out.

EDIT: I just saw that it's your buddy riding the bike. We'll if he is also 6'2" and 220#, then comments 2 & 3 stand Smiley

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/17/17 at 12:42:40

Gary, you have to read the his post!!   He said that's his buddy riding it!  Smiley  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/17/17 at 13:05:27

Well, putting longer shocks on it would get the seat higher, but would just about max out the downward travel of the swingarm and further complicate the belt adjustment.
And it would do nothing for the peg height.

Adding foam would also add comfort.

You might consider going to a 19" rear wheel, but I don't know how available tires would be.
And might require extending the swingarm.  RYCA does have weld-on extentions.
That and a Kawasaki belt might work.

WWW   IP Logged
eastsidedirtykid
YaBB Newbies

Push it to the
limit!

Reply #7 - 03/17/17 at 22:53:54

I WISH I was my friends size! He's at that 5 foot 8 size where he fits any bike given to him, haha. But thanks for the compliment! Semi trying a rat rod/flying tigers ww2 mix, but it is my very first project ever so still learning a lot and what I want to do!

I seriously might consider the custom seat professionally done. Sounds like a better option because that is true about raising the swingarm too much, could cause problems with the angle. And who knows about the 19 in rear wheel/tire options.

I've seen some RYCA conversions that stick with the original stock tire and hub. Would that be taller than the RYCA rear wheel now, the same, or smaller? I did the conversion almost 4 years ago and cannot remember anything pre-conversion.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 03/18/17 at 04:30:37

The 15" rear tire generally will have a smaller diameter than tires you can buy for the 18" wheel - however with either size you can find tires that are too big to fit in the swingarm without touching.

I think a vintage sized 4.00-18 tire is available in some modern tire models - and they are really big in diameter.  It will probably require that you modify the cross brace in the swingarm to use a tire that large.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/18/17 at 06:56:32

verslagen1 wrote on 03/17/17 at 13:05:27:
Well, putting longer shocks on it would get the seat higher, but would just about max out the downward travel of the swingarm and further complicate the belt adjustment.
And it would do nothing for the peg height.

-------------

Right, changing shocks or going to a larger rear wheel will make the bike taller, but not change the ergonomics and the seat to peg relationship will be the same.  You either have to raise the seat, lower the pegs, or both.  

I'm 6'3" tall with at 36" inseam and I always put a taller seats on my motocross bikes.  You would be amazed what 3/4" will do. I'd pad the seat for a test and look at your rearset mounts.  You may be able to drill another hole and move the pegs to a better place (maybe even further back a little).  Just be careful not to go too low or you'll be dragging your toes in corners. (You should be up on the balls of your feet when cornering hard anyway.)  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 03/18/17 at 10:09:44

swingare-extension.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 03/18/17 at 12:20:54

That weld-on extension would allow for 19's front and rear. The problem is all 19" rubber SUCKS for serious street use. That's why I compromised and went with 18's on my street tracker. I'd rather have good tires in a size I didn't want then crappy tires in a size that look great.

IP Logged
eastsidedirtykid
YaBB Newbies

Push it to the
limit!

Reply #12 - 03/19/17 at 19:04:12

That's true with the 19 inch tire selection. I definitely want to be a little more aggressive when riding the cafe racer. That's what the conversion is for right?  Grin

I believe the combination of better seat foam and an ever so slightly taller, but upgraded shocks would get the height to where I need. I fINALLY finished the head plug leak last night so getting ready to ride again! Thanks for everyone's help!

Oh and here's another shot of my buddy riding my RYCA!

sideshot.png
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:43:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Taller seat height for tall RYCA owners?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.