Send Topic Print
Unsecure login? (Read 39 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Unsecure login?
03/16/17 at 17:57:07

My browser is Firefox and it has recently been upgraded.  Now, when I go to log into this forum I get a warning that it is an unsecured site and that the login is not secure and the password is visible to anyone "watching".

Has this always been the case?  I don't use a name or password here that I use anywhere else so if someone hacks it I don't think it would be a problem but I thought I should ask and see if this is normal.  Thanks

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Unsecure login?
Reply #1 - 03/17/17 at 10:13:36

In pursuit of "better security" all browsers are asking for at least 8 letters/digits (most want a mix that can easily go past 8 letters/digits/symbols) and some are asking for questions/answers as well.    Most of them record your ISP and if you come in from somewhere else they choke it all down unless you verify yourself out the wazoo.

It is the way of the future.   Google, upon your request, can actually sub in a finger print sensor if you have one of their more modern phones with the sensor.

Yes, I do remember the old original 4 digit "ID codes"  rather fondly ....   but they are long long long gone.

Here is the danger, there are phishing schemes out there afoot to get you to re-enter your stuff so the phishing site has it now, then they can rob you at whim later.

Rule of thumb -- ignore it, if it is for real you will get LOTS of chances to respond to it later on.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Re: Unsecure login?
Reply #2 - 03/17/17 at 10:40:57

engineer wrote on 03/16/17 at 17:57:07:
My browser is Firefox and it has recently been upgraded.  Now, when I go to log into this forum I get a warning that it is an unsecured site and that the login is not secure and the password is visible to anyone "watching".

Has this always been the case?  I don't use a name or password here that I use anywhere else so if someone hacks it I don't think it would be a problem but I thought I should ask and see if this is normal.  Thanks

It's always been that way. The reason why is the fact that this site has a field with the input type of "password" and doesn't use HTTPS. The newer firefoxes look for those and warn you about them.

As long as your userid and password are unique to this site, I wouldn't worry too much but if it starts showing up on other ones, then you need to worry.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:34:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Unsecure login?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.