Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
critical Cam Chain Tensioner Plunger Distance (Read 143 times)
HillSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

critical Cam Chain Tensioner Plunger Distance
03/13/17 at 17:39:51

Hello all like the title says what is a critical length for the plunger before failure on the LS 650?  I know verslagen says 18mm, mine is at 18.5, should I not ride until fixed?  Many thanks.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: critical Cam Chain Tensioner Plunger Distance
Reply #1 - 03/13/17 at 18:56:18

Do you want to risk grenading your engine to wear out that extra 0.5 mm?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 03/13/17 at 19:09:51

Hill , Have you seen what happens when it comes apart ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/13/17 at 19:47:00

Just fix it. Get a Versy,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ditz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/14/17 at 12:20:12

To OP..... may I ask how many miles on your bike?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/14/17 at 14:01:26

ditz wrote on 03/14/17 at 12:20:12:
To OP..... may I ask how many miles on your bike?

a little history...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1192027390

WWW   IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/14/17 at 19:57:16

All this talk reminds me of the old AMF Harleys.  Leaky and unreliable.

IP Logged
ditz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/15/17 at 07:46:56

verslagen1

thanks for the link to that discussion. I found it quite interesting and the chart indicates no real pattern of wear so it appears that anyone buying a used machine would be wise to check the plunger early in ownership. The 2006 that I just bought will be checked shortly just for safety. I will be switching oil to the Rotella 15/40 and if I can find it 15/50 as it gets quite warm here and I will only be riding during the warm months. I have ridden off and on for 55 years and only do so for enjoyment. Cold weather riding is not enjoyable IMO.  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/15/17 at 12:01:13

Most days, I know where My HERE is, but I have no idea where your Here is.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 03/15/17 at 13:37:55

ditz wrote on 03/15/17 at 07:46:56:
verslagen1

thanks for the link to that discussion. I found it quite interesting and the chart indicates no real pattern of wear so it appears that anyone buying a used machine would be wise to check the plunger early in ownership. The 2006 that I just bought will be checked shortly just for safety. I will be switching oil to the Rotella 15/40 and if I can find it 15/50 as it gets quite warm here and I will only be riding during the warm months. I have ridden off and on for 55 years and only do so for enjoyment. Cold weather riding is not enjoyable IMO.  Grin

I tried 20w50 and did not find it beneficial.  I measured case and head temps with an IR thermometer and they were elevated.  My test run was a daily commute in nearly the same conditions (ambient temp, and speed)  The savage has a number of metered orifices that limit flow.  50wt just gets too slow.

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 03/15/17 at 18:53:27

I use 15W40. The weather here in the summer gets close to 100° with usually 90% humidity. I have no problems with my engine and heat. She runs great and I'm usually riding between 45 and 65 mph.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 03/15/17 at 20:12:55

The numbers on oil cans be misleading, 15w40 (dino) means that the oil is based on 40 weight and has an additive package that brings it down to15 weight at operating temp. It is improper to think that oil gets thicker when heated ,as the truth is it gets thicker as it cools.the viscosity of 15w40 at 75 degrees F is approx. 150, and doesn't lube well,that is why 90% of wear occurs when starting a cold motor,and why you should never rev the motor to warm it faster .As this oil ages the additive package wears out and the viscosity drops(past oil change time),if left even longer waxes form in the oil and viscosity raises and fails to lube properly.         15w40 synthetic ,on the other hand is based on 15 weight 'oil' and the viscosity a 75 degrees is about 40 ,so it also fails to lube at starting but comes to operating temp sooner causing less wear,the viscosity of this oil will not drop past 15 but if not changed will also thicken.  the use of 20w50 oil causes oil pressure to be higher,but motors are lubed by the flow of oil through the motor., the more pressure the less flow  (minimum pressure is needed to pump the oil through the motor ,but heavier oil drives the pressure up causing higher resistance to flow in the oil passages ,slowing flow and makes the motor run hotter.)So the use of heavier oil into warmer weather is counter productive! AS Vercy stated above he tried 20w50 in the heat and found his motor ran hotter.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/15/17 at 20:30:34

Re synthetic oil:  I was speaking to a OTR truck driver.  He told me of tractor transmissions that were having trouble with upper shaft lubrication.  Thusly, they were warrantied for only 50,000 miles.  When synthetic oil became available, the warranty was increased to 500,000miles!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:42:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › critical Cam Chain Tensioner Plunger Distance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.